Rock Snot Not Invasive

ricinusricinus Senior MemberPosts: 6,214 Senior Member
My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,471 Senior Member
    That did not stop Maryland from banning felt-sole waders. I learned the hard way that non-studded super duper high tech rubber soled substitutes are not as good. So I fished cold and wet and caught some shad - all is good.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Found out the same thing with "artificial felt". I looked at putting studs in, I think I might just buy new boots for the cost difference. Fortunately we can still use felt..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Auntie EmAuntie Em Senior Member Posts: 159 Senior Member
    I dunno ... call it what you want, but, if you can prevent the spread of this awful cr*p by taking such small measures, you should. It does a real number on the fish population when "in bloom" (quite the term .. sounds like a pretty flower). Why would you even want to possibly spread the spores to it around?
    Lord ... give me patience, and give it to me RIGHT NOW!!!!!
  • Scruffy FlyScruffy Fly Junior Member Posts: 17 Junior Member
    New Zealand Scientist disagree with the research papers assertion that didymo was native to New Zealand and not an introduced species.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11252451

Seems like they have so good points in that matter.

It has been known for many years that Didymo is native to the Northern Hemisphere waters but most notably in higher altitudes.

Like Whirling Disease Didymo has been most prevalent where easy recreational access exists, especially fishing, also exists. I wonder what the article has to say about that aspect.

It would be good to locate how to get a free copy of the report to see the nauseating details.
  • Scruffy FlyScruffy Fly Junior Member Posts: 17 Junior Member
    George K wrote: »
    That did not stop Maryland from banning felt-sole waders. I learned the hard way that non-studded super duper high tech rubber soled substitutes are not as good. So I fished cold and wet and caught some shad - all is good.

My brother learned the same thing when he bought new Simms wading boots a few years ago. He did not want to buy the screw in studs for the boots in spite of my harping on how much I liked my korker soles with the screw in spikes. After falling or at least loosing balance a bunch with the new high tech boots we drove back to town the next day to buy the screw in studs. Now he is a much happier camper. He wondered why in the heck Simms would sell the boot without studs.

I see that once again a number of models of felt sole wading boots are available in fly shops.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file