Scott Customer Service

gatsbygatsby MemberPosts: 30 Member
I must post that I just received my five weight back from Scott Rods. According to their web site the serial number on this rod was too low for warranty work. I broke it in the evening of a trying day on the Green. But they went ahead and replaced the tip for the cost of postage. I am pleased. You need a 5 wt.

Comments

• JLTJLT Senior Member Posts: 484 Senior Member
    Never heard that they had a cut off for the warranty. But it sure is nice they fixed the rod anyway.
  • TriggTrigg Junior Member Posts: 3 Junior Member
    gatsby wrote: »
    I must post that I just received my five weight back from Scott Rods. According to their web site the serial number on this rod was too low for warranty work. I broke it in the evening of a trying day on the Green. But they went ahead and replaced the tip for the cost of postage. I am pleased. You need a 5 wt.

And yet they're going to charge me $50 to replace the 3rd section I just broke because my rod qualifies for warranty, and those are the warranty terms. I'm glad they treated you well, but I'm a little less pleased with them.:(
  • gatsbygatsby Member Posts: 30 Member
    Trigg wrote: »
    And yet they're going to charge me $50 to replace the 3rd section I just broke because my rod qualifies for warranty, and those are the warranty terms. I'm glad they treated you well, but I'm a little less pleased with them.:(

Well, I paid $50 as well. I think that charge is mostly for mailing and handling. The web site lists at least the tip at $100 if the rod is not under warranty. So I don't think they are charging you for the 3rd section. I believe most rod manufacturers charge a postage and handling fee and they are similar to Scott.
  • TriggTrigg Junior Member Posts: 3 Junior Member
    gatsby wrote: »
    Well, I paid $50 as well. I think that charge is mostly for mailing and handling. The web site lists at least the tip at $100 if the rod is not under warranty. So I don't think they are charging you for the 3rd section. I believe most rod manufacturers charge a postage and handling fee and they are similar to Scott.

Ah, well that makes sense; they gave you the warranty terms. The $50 goes pretty far beyond just mailing (and I don't really know what "handling" is), but that's the program as advertised, so I have no complaint. Glad they treated you well.
  • gatsbygatsby Member Posts: 30 Member
    Trigg wrote: »
    Ah, well that makes sense; they gave you the warranty terms. The $50 goes pretty far beyond just mailing (and I don't really know what "handling" is), but that's the program as advertised, so I have no complaint. Glad they treated you well.

Both Sage and Winston charge the same $50. It is for postage, packaging, insurance and general expenses to process a warranty return. All in all it is probably reasonable. And it is always good to be aware that the high cost of a new fly rod is in part related to the cost to the company of these warranties.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file