Air Mattress or Cot for Camping: A discussion

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,400 Senior Member
    Brian D. wrote: »
    Just camp with a fat girl. All the padding you need, warm in the winter, and shady in the summertime.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2

If she has tattoos, you also get moving pictures.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,573 Senior Member
    If she has tattoos, you also get moving pictures.

Do you have to slap her first for the animation effect?
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,432 Senior Member
    Hexmeister,
    Abouty 7 years ago the wife and I finally bought a large SpringBar tent. Subsequently we purchased a queen sized air mattress. Last spring we finally bought some nice Slumberjack brand cots. Best camping purchase ever!!!
    AIR MATTRESS: Rolls up smaller than a cot, but the largest problems were the cold and the accompanying overnight deflation. The cold was exaserbated by camping in high elevation areas that sometimes get below freezing even in the middle of summer. I don't know if you will have that problem unless you go up into the higher elevations of VT or ME. Overall it was comfortable enough as long as the temp didn't drop too much. Another PITA is inflating the **** thing. You have to plug in the air pump to the car lighter, inflate the thing and then walk it to the tent. If you lose air over the trip, you have to trudge back to the car with the air mattress. PITA! A foot pump would probably work but I imagine it would take an age to inflate a large air mattress.
    COTS: Since you have an Outback with a cargo container on top you shouldn't have any problem carrying a couple of cots. We have the same set up with a Yakima box on the car. The cots fold up to about 3' high by about 10"x10" square. Here is a link to the cots we use:
    http://www.slumberjack.com/p-573-tough-cot.aspx?category=furniture
    It is a nice blend of support and comfort. I put a thin thermarest mattress on top of it for added cushiness, but I have forgot to do this a few times and still found the cot to be comfortable. I have pretty bad arthritis, so I still sometimes wake up with sore shoulders from sleeping on my side, but it is much better than the air mattress that inevitably partially collapsed during the night. If I manage to sleep on my back I wake up pain free. Also, my wife does not do well with cold weather and she likes the cot better. Set up is pretty easy and seems to be less of a PITA than the mattress. We also like the extra storage space as we can store items under the cots.
    So, drop the money and get the cot(s). They will last forever and I think they are less of a hassle than an air mattress.
    Read on-line reviews! Some cots look awesome but consumers hated them! A word about the cot that is linked earlier. I did not like them because I am mainly a side sleeper. I imagine that if you sleep on your back exclusively, it would work fine, but I found that that style tends to lock you into a single position.
    PS
    Cot shopping is a perfect excuse to go to a store and take a nap!
    Your Outback is 2005, correct? Blue, also? How is it holding up? Mine is an '05 too and we have had to replace a wheel bearing. We've had a few minor electrical issues reference interior & instrumentaion lights and for some reason we go through a headlight bulb on only one side about every other month.
  • oc stomiasoc stomias Senior Member Posts: 348 Senior Member
    Past 2 seasons I've used the Big Agnes insulated air core. Very comfortable, very light. Packs down to the size of a nalgene. Warm too. Like it better than my thermarest.probably not as comfortable as the REI cot.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

I think I'm going to check out a lined/padded cot. I'll have to try out the one I linked as well as the slumberjack one (or similar). There's a few camping stores near me (a couple of REIs... one a giant one in Boston I think), so I'll shop around. I sleep mostly on my stomach (**** up!), so I'll have to see if the padded ones work that way. I do like the mat that Swizz linked, but at $200+ that's a bit steep (and I'd like to see how it packs up).

Outback talk:
    I have a 2006... blue/silver. I've yet to have an major problems on it (just jinxed myself). Although I did have a weird electrical issue too that was solved because I had accidentally pinched the headlight wires when replacing the bulb. I also find that I'm replacing bulbs quite a bit, but nowhere near once a month. I drive through a town that supplements their budget with tickets for headlights out, so I need to stay on my game (constantly looking see if both headlights are light in anything that'll reflect them... cars in front of me, my hopes and fears, back of the garage.. things like that).

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it. I do have slow leaks in 3 of 4 tires but I think that's because my rims are kind of flaking. I'm due for new tires soon so I'll have them clean the rims before putting new ones on. I think I'm up to +160k miles with no signs of being a sad dead car. My last outback (a '99) lasted until 230k and I had the dreaded leaky head gaskets for a year or so before they finally blew and I had to get rid of it (donated it, and still got a few thousand to deduct... yay NPR!).
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,138 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    PS
    Cot shopping is a perfect excuse to go to a store and take a nap!
    Your Outback is 2005, correct? Blue, also? How is it holding up? Mine is an '05 too and we have had to replace a wheel bearing. We've had a few minor electrical issues reference interior & instrumentaion lights and for some reason we go through a headlight bulb on only one side about every other month.

Bearings are a normal maintenance item. I've replaced all 4 corners on my truck. Fronts at about 120,000 miles and the rear ones recently at about 150,000 miles. My car however, with 180,000+ miles, surprisingly hasn't needed it done yet. Probably because it spends it's life on the highway.

The headlight issue...try an OEM bulb from the dealer, a more expensive one like Silvstar instead of Sylvania or as crazy as it sounds...wear a glove when putting in the next bulb. I had to do that on a previous car I owned. Something about the oil on your fingers lowering the life of the bulb when you touch it.
    joekrz wrote: »
    wear a glove when putting in the next bulb. I had to do that on a previous car I owned. Something about the oil on your fingers lowering the life of the bulb when you touch it.

This is true. The halogen bulbs get hot, so when there's oil on them finger, that oil also gets hot, creating a hot spot that messes up the bulb and can cause it to burn out quicker. At least that's what the intertubes told me and I believe everything it says.
  • tis true

had the hardware guys are a real hardware store (not the big box) remind me of this when replacing a halogen bulb in lighting fixtures in the house

I use the same lint free gloves that I use for handling negatives, slides and photos
  • monkeydoes wrote: »
    tis true

had the hardware guys are a real hardware store (not the big box) remind me of this when replacing a halogen bulb in lighting fixtures in the house

I use the same lint free gloves that I use for handling negatives, slides and photos

Is a latex glove ok? The lights in our kitchen burn out way quicker than they should (IMO) I wonder if this is to blame?
    Yes, latex is ok. powdered probably isn't the best, but the goal is to not get skin oil on the glass.

Are the kitchen lights halogen? I don't think this is much of an issue for regular bulbs.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I have had good luck just using a tissue paper..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • swamp yankeeswamp yankee Senior Member Posts: 187 Senior Member
    I use an air-bed. I am not the deilicate flower like some of these other noodle-wristed choir boys that get chilled when the temp drops below 70! The only issue I have with it....I keep passing out when I attempt to blow it up so a pump is absolutely required.
    It is also painfully embarassing to regain conscienceness and find an eyebrow shaved off and magic marker all over your face.
    I'm also embarrassed you regained total consciousness. So you have that going for you.
  • swamp yankeeswamp yankee Senior Member Posts: 187 Senior Member
    When did I use the word "total" you Subaru drivin', nancy-boy?
  • Hextall wrote: »
    Are the kitchen lights halogen? I don't think this is much of an issue for regular bulbs.

Yes they are, we have a bunch of indoor floodlight, the recessed can type. I really don't like them, but this is what was here when we bought the place. We have about 5 of the larger size and 4 r 5 of the smaller ones. I know they burn very hot, so I will try this and see if it helps, it can't hurt. Thanks guys.
  • Hextall wrote: »
    Yes, latex is ok. powdered probably isn't the best, but the goal is to not get skin oil on the glass.

are you sure?

I agree about powdered but I am not sure about latex ... isn't there residual chemicals on even the dry latex gloves which can be absorbed

not that it's important I was just wondering

and I am sure any old glove will do so long as the oil on your skin isn't left on the bulb
    Not 100% sure, but that's what I've used. Let's call it 95.45% and say it lies within 2 standard deviations of the mean. I'm assuming normal distribution, and if there's anything I know, this place has a normal distribution.
  • My mistake, just went and checked. 4 large and 4 small bulbs and currently (for the last several days) there is one of each that is burned out.
    You should have put an Outback in your kitchen. Those bulbs last a long time.
    I put a Halogen fixture with multiple bulbs in my fly tying area. The fixture came with device to change the bulbs without touching them...

Mike
    jbilly wrote: »
    My mistake, just went and checked. 4 large and 4 small bulbs and currently (for the last several days) there is one of each that is burned out.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Oil from your fingers could get on a latex glove when you are putting them on your hand and then transfer to the bulb. Therefore, you should wear cotton gloves when putting on your latex gloves.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,660 Senior Member
    yatahey wrote: »
    Oil from your fingers could get on a latex glove when you are putting them on your hand and then transfer to the bulb. Therefore, you should wear cotton gloves when putting on your latex gloves.
    A second pair of latex gloves will keep oil off the cotton gloves and keep it from getting transferred to the first pair of cotton glove.

You could ship your lights to Butner. He probably knows people who work in clean rooms. I'll bet theirs gloves are oil free.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    You guys kill me! Send it Butner! Ha!
    Anywho, I know not to touch the bulbs as it states not to on the packaging. Also, I think once/month may be a bit exaggerating. More like five bulbs per year. Last fall I had the headlight disassembled and my wife walks up and has the bulb between her fingers, on the glass part, of course. It is times like that I can call her a Utard and get away with it!
    My Subbie just went over 90K the other day, which is amazing since we drive that thing all over the west camping and fishing. I have lust in my heart for a brand new Outback but am also going to look at a Volvo XC70. There are some nice SUV's out there too but it's hard to beat Subaru's claim of 31 mpg/hwy + all wheel drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,400 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »

When we would change the bulbs on Lekos when I was in theater, we just used a clean cloth.

The most important thing to avoid is the skin oil that heats up on the glass.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    We have 240,000 trouble free miles on a '98 Forester. Its for sale.

I use an REI camp pad foam/air combo, very comfy and warm into the teens and night (No, that wasn't a joke for Brian D.)

I've learned in this post that Monkey has to wear gloves to cover his hairy hands.
    As an update, I bought the REI cot in my original post (OP) sunday, and should get it in a couple of days. REI currently has a 25% off any single item for members, and it qualified for free shipping. If it doesn't work for me, I can bring it back to a local REI store for a refund. It's basically a free test drive.

I wanted to update you animals because I know of your insatiable appetite for information.

29ffc5ab-c990-41c4-b31d-e0a376c5c41d.jpg
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    As an update, I bought the REI cot in my original post (OP) sunday, and should get it in a couple of days. REI currently has a 25% off any single item for members, and it qualified for free shipping. If it doesn't work for me, I can bring it back to a local REI store for a refund. It's basically a free test drive.

I wanted to update you animals because I know of your insatiable appetite for information.

29ffc5ab-c990-41c4-b31d-e0a376c5c41d.jpg

It's looks remarkably like one of those Mars Rover things!.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    That's a new species of caterpillar, found in the Amazon.
    It looks Chinese...Shaking head and walking away..

Mike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file