Father-Son Adventure on the Little Red - a cold and windy day.

Don NewtonDon Newton Senior MemberPosts: 431 Senior Member
It was a cold and windy day. Jack concluded that I awoke too early. Hecque, 05:00 is not too early for to awaken on a fly fishing day.

The view from the front porch of my rented cabin is OK.:

002_850x606_.jpg

Down there is the Little Red River. It is lower than usual, in spite of the thunderstorms that blew through Saturday evening. The high today will be 51 ... BUT not as windy as the yesterday when Jack and I went up and down the River guided by George Born of the Ozark Angler.

All were dressed against the elements. And the Sun was wunnerful.

009_850x850_.jpg
George and Jack.

We were moderately successful at trout catching on George's variant sowbug pattern. He will be glad to share it with you when you come to float with him. Anywho,, we caught a bunch of 'bows. I caught the only brown trout of the day ... maybe 12 inches. We are perplexed by the scarcity of the vaunted Little Red River browns. The River is at an all-time low. The dam engineers are being stingy with water releases. It was 112 degrees at times this last summether in Heber Springs. That's OK. The fish are there.

We parked for shore lunch on a gravel beach. Conversations dove briefly into politics, but quickly surfaced into trout and the River. We posed for a formal portrait. Sorry you have not a good view of my handsome self, but it was cold and windy out there.

019_850x1216_.jpg

George tho't we would have a better catching time around the bend. We did.

Takes on the sowbug were somewhat sporadic. We cast into rise rings and would occasionally hook up. I tho't a soft hackle would do ... no deal. Trout rose to something that we could not see. BWO's hatched upstream of us. We saw nothing coming off the water. Hmmm.

George said, "Let's try something else." So he tied on a nice, black-plastic-beadhead emerger pattern 36 inches below strike indicator. George might share this one, too. We tore 'em up! Cast into or around rise rings, we'd get hook ups. Or just cast anywhere, trout would rise to dine. We even got mucho hits in 12 feet of water. The fish looked up for chow.

This morning broke to 27 degrees, light to calm winds, bluebird sky. I've had a light breakfast. Think I'll tye a few flies; do lunch; THEN hit the water, a brief stroll down the hill.

Y'all have a good day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file