Not So Hot at Da G*lf-Course Ponds

Don NewtonDon Newton Senior MemberPosts: 431 Senior Member
My buddy, Jim, called me about 09:45 and wanted to know if I'd like to go fishing. Left the house about 10:39 with Miss Izzy and my usuals for da g*lf course flies. Tho't to try a dry fly but Gary said dry fly season was over for da ponds.

Tied on an orange stimulator at pond side and got to casting about. Nothing. Then the stimulator drowned itself and I began slow steady retrieves. bang not BOOM but bang - light pickups by small bleu gills some of which had no clue about life or color combinations.

Walked back toward the club house to fish the fountain pond. The course and some fairways and other things were in disarray with preparations for the PGA Championship in August. Amazing what has been removed or replaced and changed out.

Anywho, got to fishing on a little bay. Tried the BLUE/silver-ribbed cJ to no avail. My BLUE Clouser's swimming nymph worked not. Jim, across the way, had changed to a white jig which worked! He brought me one which I immediately tied on and bang, not BOOM but bangin greater frequency. Caught a few more.

An osprey - a HUGE osprey began to patrol overhead. I'm guessing it was a female by its size. She made a few sorties around the pond then took a controlled dive to splash mightily into the far side of the fountain pond. Couldn't tell that she caught anything. Slim pickin's for her, too. Next time I'll bring my camcorder!

Not much else to report. The g*lf course isn't as beautiful as it was before the crews came in to prep for the PGA. By mid-October, it will be back to it's usual glory - a wonderful place to stroll, to flyfish and, even, to play g*lf.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file