My Latest adventure on the Chattahoochee River, at Abbots Bridge, ...

Don NewtonDon Newton Senior MemberPosts: 431 Senior Member
... wherein a great time was had by all.

My goal was to take a break from the chores of estate stuff, to get out and fly fish DA HOOCH with my guide and best friend (among many), John McCloskey of River Through Atlanta Guide Service. The reason John and I get along so well is that he reminds me of my little brother, Jim. I would love to do a road trip with Jim. I would have to do all the driving, 'cause Jim would get us killed. He is a maniac behind the wheel of a car - heck, he is the epitome of a kid brother. Still pesky and, in is OLD age, a grouch. (You have all been blessed with a pesky kid brother?) John is much the same way, young and non-grouchy, though. I would let John drive.

Awoke too early, thinking it would take a long drive to get to Abbots Bridge. In truth it took 25 minutes. I have moved from Chamblee 19 miles up I-85 to Lawrenceville. (The house we three boys grew up in is sold to a wonderful man, a Marine :rolleyes: who is renovating it for his IT business. Cognizant of the house's history, and our concerns, Jarhead is preparing the house for a quick conversion back to residence.) Lawrenceville is my staging area for adventures North and West. I'm about to embark on a road trip to be with loved ones before I land permanently.

Arrived about 25 minutes before John got there. I did some useful things: Limbered up Rosie Grace, my Superfine 1wt. It has remnant 3X leader on it from my last expedition with John. Then I assembled Ms Scout, newly acquired Superfine Touch 4wt. Decided to leave the 5 and 6wt Superfines in their scabbard. (Yeah, I am in love with Superfines. :cool: Cain't he'p it.)

I love Ms Scout, a sweet flyrod, but I didn't fish with her much. Did catch a bunch of trout, all bows this day. Nice thing about her, she is very sensitive - I could feel every muscle cell in the trouts' body! Attached a 9ft 4X leader, to which John added another 3-4 feet of 5X tippet with two tungsten beadhead nymphs.

Rosie Grace taught me a lot on this float. Imagine a 12-foot leader(3X)-tippet(5X) combo fishing pockets of 9-12 feet of water with a 7'6" 1wt.. For me it was a hoot. It is obvious that John McCloskey has studied that stretch of water and knows it well - he has figured it out. I learned to set the hook when John yelled "SET!", and not wait 'til the indicator moved. The takes are so subtle. I watched the indicator; John watched for movement or flash where the nymph ought to be. Missed very few fish with John - he did not even have to beat me with the oars this trip :p ; nor berate me with, "Don Don Don" whilst shaking his head in dismay.

We stopped counting fish early. Suffice it to say, I caught more trout in one day than ever before. John spotted few browns - November is brown tout season on Da HOOCH. Might mosey back east for that.

I tend to force my forward cast on those, and probably all, flyrods. John will help me with that. If the weather moderates, and the River remains clear, I'll do some wade-fish practice.

Nothing better than an experienced guide and friend, to mess with your mind, teach you a few things and make for some rowdy conversation. GREAT DAY! Thanks, John!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file