Fly Fishing suggetions near Jackson Hole, WY and Yellowstone NP

LinoCatucciLinoCatucci Junior MemberPosts: 2 Junior Member
Dear FFfriends,

This August my wife, my daughter and I will be staying traveling to Yellowstone area (just below Jackson Hole and Yellowstone NP) to fly fish for a couple of days. I will be traveling with my family so dedicated fly fishing for a longer time isn't in the picture. :)

With so much information on the internet I still have some practical questions about the fly fishing in this area and I was hoping you could help me answer the questions.
All my fishing (at the lodge and the snake river later on our trip) will be done wading.
Were is the best place near Jackson Hole to fly fishing if I want to walk and wade? The same question for Yellowstone NP, I hope there are some places which are not too difficult to reach.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you so much in advance.
Lino

Replies

• ScottPScottP Senior Member Posts: 480 Senior Member
    Since no boats/watercraft are allowed on any rivers in YNP (except the Lewis-Shoshone Channel?) wading is your best (only) option. Check Wally's trip planner for suggestions:

http://www.parksflyshop.com/howto/planning/planning.html

West side of the park streams, Madison (in the Park), Firehole, Gibbon will probably be too warm to fish by then. Northeast end will be busy; Soda Butte and parts of the Lamar near the road get pounded. If you're willing to hike (be bear aware), you can find fish.

Snake should be wadeable in spots but be careful; that's big water. Flat Creek will be open, too, if you want to give that a shot.
    They say the times are changing but I just don't know
  • LinoCatucciLinoCatucci Junior Member Posts: 2 Junior Member
    Hi ScottP,
    thanks for the information.
    I will check out Wally's site.

Cheers,
    Lino
  • Montana AnglerMontana Angler Junior Member Posts: 7 Junior Member
    Yellowstone is filled with terrific wade fishing streams. In the heart of the summer many of the waters closer to West Yellowstone inside the Park get too warm such as the Madison, Firehole and Gibbon. The best summer waters are in the Northeast end of the park including the Gardner, Slough Creek, Soda Butte and the Upper Yellowstone River. These are wonderful dry fly streams casting mostly to cutthroat trout. There are also some terrific Montana rivers just a bit farther north such as the Madison, Yellowstone, Gallatin and others. You can't go wrong!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file