Why Are Talking Heads Not Discussing...

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 8,710 Senior Member
edited July 8 in The Lodge #1

... the fact that Presidential pardons apply only to crimes under federal law.?

So, were Mueller's investigation to uncover crimes committed in states where businessman Trump has done deals, say NY, NJ or FL for starters, and the attorneys general of those states, or other jurisdictions within those states obtained the evidence and secured indictments: pardon, shmardon as they say.

This is the real danger of Cohen flipping, IMO.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 884 Senior Member

Rodney, have you ever heard the term 'subjunctive mode (or case?) until you realize that George writes with a style, correctness, and brevity that you're incapable of matching, why don't you just not write?

Jim

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,710 Senior Member

Perhaps I should have written "were to have obtained". :)

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member

@George K said:
    ... the fact that Presidential pardons apply only to crimes under federal law.?

So, were Mueller's investigation to uncover crimes committed in states where businessman Trump has done deals, say NY, NJ or FL for starters, and the attorneys general of those states, or other jurisdictions within those states obtained the evidence and secured indictments: pardon, shmardon as they say.

This is the real danger of Cohen flipping, IMO.

There is actually a case on review working its way up to the supreme Court right now on the dual sovereignty doctrine. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/17-646-PWC.pdf

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,710 Senior Member

Hypothetical - One or more members of the Trump family are indicted or named as an unindicted co-conspirator in fraud cases involving Russian mob money in NJ, NY or Florida real estate at the end of Mueller's investigation. President Trump then issues blanket pardons ("any and all crimes that may have been committed"..., a la Nixon) for any and all members of the Trump family, including himself.

If there was no fed indictment what's to stop state or local attys general from obtaining the evidence and going after the unindicted ones, whatever the outcome of Gamble?

BTW - I can see Gambles' point.

I'm assuming that if the court abrogates the dual sovereignty doctrine, the ruling would extend to the pardon power as well.

It is however complicated by the fact that the state filed first. That may change things.

I don't know how this one comes out.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,191 Senior Member

@magalloway said:
    Rodney, have you ever heard the term 'subjunctive mode (or case?) until you realize that George writes with a style, correctness, and brevity that you're incapable of matching, why don't you just not write?

Jim

I would prefer if he would at least answer Ed's posts.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,191 Senior Member

@Squeezlesnits said:

@NZ Indicator said:

@magalloway said:

Jim

I would prefer if he would at least answer Ed's posts.

You would prefer if who answers Ed's posts?

You

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file