Justice Kennedy retiring.

Replies

• saltydancindavesaltydancindave Senior Member Posts: 2,328 Senior Member

@Steven said:
    All we know is that they can't be nasty and mean about your religion while forcing you to bake a cake.

Just as they can be suicidal homicidal sociopsychopaths since Arab terrorists stole 9/11 from the USA just as the KKK stole US Constitutions, but why shouldn't people know what's in it ?

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,567 Senior Member

@Steven said:
    All we know is that they can't be nasty and mean about your religion while forcing you to bake a cake.

Was someone forced to bake a cake?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    edited July 3 #94

I do know of one woman that was told by a pharmacist that she would have to carry her still born fetus to term because he would not fill her prescription. These guys vote. So no, no legislature filled with superstitious people that want to tell me what their sky lord told them to believe. I have my own conscience.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,202 Senior Member

This is why you have the right to vote and should exercise it.

Well, the baker would have broken the law had Colorado had its way. I'd call that being forced.

• saltydancindavesaltydancindave Senior Member Posts: 2,328 Senior Member

@Steven said:

Why waste the time to vote if Rehnquist's Reichquest immaculate drug conception for Federal Lynching KKK churchstate of hate cops mentioning 9/11 overturns one of Eisenhower's Pentagon staff sergeants hearing it spoken by same says so, just as it's one nation under God with equal justice under law according to Rehnquist with an immaculate drug trafficking conception for all those KKK churchstate thieving US Constitution-old glory arsonists that also joke in jihad about stolen absentee ballots.

@Steven said:

Some things should not be subject to the tyranny of the majority.

@Steven said:
    Well, the baker would have broken the law had Colorado had its way. I'd call that being forced.

So you don't like it when states decide then?

@fishingcomic said:

Yet, they are all the time as society manages conflicts between different groups.

@fishingcomic said:

So you don't like it when states decide then?

I don't know where you got that. If I lived in Colorado and didn't like the decision I'd vote the bums out.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

Some things, sure. Its just that Abortion isn't one of those things. Most things-in a healthy democracy-are left to the democratic process. Its when they aren't that we get all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the retirement of an 82 year old man.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 969 Senior Member
    edited July 3 #103

I don't know where you got that. If I lived in Colorado and didn't like the decision I'd vote the bums out.

We've tried, but the waves of liberal idiots from california moving here have taken over. Just sayin'.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,191 Senior Member
    edited July 3 #104

@fishingcomic said:

I agree. Otherwise we would have ended up with Hillary.

Walk off home run, right here.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,684 Senior Member
    edited July 3 #106

@CO Native said:

We've tried, but the waves of liberal idiots from california moving here have taken over. Just sayin'.

Well none of us voted for the civili rights commission. What a joke.

And as for Kalifornians...I'd like it noted for the record I only did 7 years worth of time there...I am not from there and dear god I am never going back to that crap hole (yes Shawn I am giving you free ammo here)

@NZ Indicator said:

@fishingcomic said:

I agree. Otherwise we would have ended up with Hillary.

hahaha. Not bad.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,710 Senior Member
    edited July 3 #108

@CO Native said:

You could always move to Colorado Springs; not too many libs there, just a bunch of dope-smokin' righties. :)

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

@sherb said:

@fishingcomic said:

Some things, sure. Its just that Abortion isn't one of those things.

Why isn't a woman's uterus not one of those things? Why should some ignorant fool tell my wife she has to carry a dead fetus to term? Why should they tell me that my wife has to die to keep a fetus viable? Why is that not the business of the family and nobody else?

@jbilly said:

@CO Native said:

Well none of us voted for the civili rights commission. What a joke.

And as for Kalifornians...I'd like it noted for the record I only did 7 years worth of time there...I am not from there and dear god I am never going back to that crap hole (yes Shawn I am giving you free ammo here)

They don't want you anyway.

@fishingcomic said:

Why isn't a woman's uterus not one of those things? Why should some ignorant fool tell my wife she has to carry a dead fetus to term?

To make your argument, you're changing it. You're now talking about dead fetuses rather than those that remain potentially viable. That's an entirely different ball of wax.

The state is claiming that it must represent the interests of the fetus. Most of us admit that this makes at least some sense. I really doubt that the claim that the state represents the interests of a dead fetus wouldn't pass muster whether or not Roe was overturned.

edited July 5 #113

If you are going to criticize my argument have the decency to not edit it to fit your point.

BTW Rick Santorum is against abortion even when the fetus is not viable.

???

You've gone from viable fetuses to dead ones. What did I miss?

As for editing points, does Rick Santorum serve on the Supreme Court? There are no guarantees in life but do you really think that if Roe is overturned and states banned abortions of potentially viable fetuses, that the Supreme Court would find that states have the right to ban the removal of dead fetuses? That's not happening so stop with this straw man.

Is this actually something that liberals think is going to happen? No abortions to save the life of the mother? No abortions of dead babies in the womb? The relentless worse-case strawmanning is probably the most irritating facet of the debate: the vast majority of abortions are NOT because of incest, **** or to save the life of the mother. Can we please stop acting like the country with the most liberal abortion laws in the world is morphing into the Handmaid's Tale due to a single retirement?

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,684 Senior Member

@George K said:
    With the commendable exception of the Catholic Church most anti-abortion advocates are enthusiastic supporters of the death penalty.

Hey before we move on past the strawmans can we look at this one.

Why is it the most enthusiastic anti-gunners don't care about saving lives in the womb and love abortions

(disclaimer: for those that can't tell I am just stirring the pot)

Jbilly - you're right.

This thread illustrates my earlier point about the general irrationality of the abortion debate.

Two things - I am pretty sure that our abortion laws are far from the least restrictive in the world, and there was a recent case where a pharmacist took it upon him or herself to refuse to dispense prescribed medication to abort a dead fetus. Given the make up of some of our state legislatures it is not beyond imagining laws banning the aborting of dead fetuses.

Its pretty much beyond my imagination. Legislators have constituents.

@sherb said:
    Its pretty much beyond my imagination. Legislators have constituents.

I did not say it's probable, but unfortunately we have seen on both left and right that a minority of extremists who turn out for primaries can yield more influence than the moderate majority that stays home.

edited July 5 #120

Even assuming a state legislature could pass such a law, in what world would the rights of a dead fetus be greater than the mother's rights?

The dead have very limited rights to begin with.

@Steven said:
    Even assuming a state legislature could pass such a law, in what world would the rights of a dead fetus be greater than the mother's rights?

The dead have very limited rights to begin with.

A state court most likely would void it, a federal court almost certainly. My point was that the once unimaginable no longer is so. Look no further than the Oval Office.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file