So tell me again why we gave them billions?

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 2,656 Senior Member

A prominent Iranian politician admitted that Iran knowingly facilitated the passage of al-Qaeda members who later carried out the September 11, 2001 terror attacks, potentially confirming allegations in a 9/11 Commission report.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/06/08/iran-facilitated-passage-of-9-11-attackers-politician/

Replies

• SqueezlesnitsSqueezlesnits Posts: 21 Junior Member

The linked article spoke about what appears to have been and may still be a policy of Iran to not stamp passports of people travelling through Iran, in relation to 'some members of AQ' participating in the 911 attacks having passed through Iran on a flight 'to or from Afgnhanistan' on a transitional basis (implying not getting off or staying in Iran such as only changing flights or not even getting off the plane) and is chock full of lots of words like 'potentially, possibly, could have' regarding commission findings....

The reasons why in 2011 a NY Federal Court found that Iran could be held financially responsible for the damages, injury, and death due to the 9/11 attacks because they provided material support to the AQ terrorists that carried out the attacks, and just specifically what that support entailed, is in a separate article linked close to the end r me of the intitial article...

But still doesn't resolve for me how the lawsuit was initiated in 2004 and allowed to go forward in 2016 after congress passed a law allowing United States citizens to sue sponsors of terrorism for their losses....

As far as the billions the United States 'GAVE' to Iran...first off not only is the amount of the largest of the supposed 'gifts' disputed...Trump says it was 150 billion, most experts put it at 25 billion, several others put it at 56 billion....BUT....it was never money that belonged to the United States or was even in the possesion of the United States....it was Iranian assets residing in commercial banks overseas that were Frozen and then released when Iran signed the Nuclear arms agreement under Obama.....and the second of the amounts....1.8B supposedly....was to resolve a 400 million dollars arm's deal between Iran and United States arms contractors that went bust before the 1979 Iranian Revolution....valued at 1.8B with interest attached since 1979.....

I mean, governments and 'countries' are transitional things, things change over time, and the United States government at one time wasn't so squeeky clean and to be held up as completely ethical and altruistic, back then they heavily enable and supported the Shah of Iran, who was awesome for the United States but very, very, very bad for Iran and the region. And then when he ran with all the country's loot and treasure the United States put him up and protected him. Soooooooooo.......its kinda like when somebody claims some of the dirt lines on this rock as theirs because they were there before somebody else...or wants to talk about how somebody from some country did bad things....well...more often than not you can go back to somebody who was there before, and somebody before them, and somebody before them.....or something people from your country did before that, and before that, and before that......

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 83 Member

A: We didn't give them millions. We reduced the sanction that prevented them from accessing their own international bank deposits. B: why did we do that....? Mushroom shaped cloud over your home town, baby. Of course, you know all that.
    Welcome to The Lodge Squeezie, I hope you hang around a while.

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,101 Senior Member

@creekyguy said:
    A: We didn't give them millions. We reduced the sanction that prevented them from accessing their own international bank deposits. B: why did we do that....? Mushroom shaped cloud over your home town, baby. Of course, you know all that.
    Welcome to The Lodge Squeezie, I hope you hang around a while.

you beat me....please.

I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,660 Senior Member

Wouldn't that be welcome to the Lodge part three?

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,656 Senior Member
    edited June 10 #6

Yes, we did give them billions. So, you guys are gonna be ok if Trump pays Putin billions so that Russia doesn't Nuke us? What sense does that make?

And now this.

When it comes to the Iran nuclear deal, the Obama administration increasingly appears to have been a bottomless pit of deception.

First, President Barack Obama failed to disclose to Congress the existence of secret side deals on inspections when he transmitted the nuclear accord to Capitol Hill. (They were only uncovered by chance when then-Rep. Mike Pompeo (R-Kan.) and Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) learned about them during a meeting with International Atomic Energy Agency officials in Vienna.) Then, we learned that the Obama administration had secretly sent a plane to Tehran loaded with $400 million in Swiss francs, euros and other currencies on the same day Iran released four American hostages, which was followed by two more secret flights carrying another $1.3 billion in cash.

Now, in a bombshell revelation, Republicans on the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, led by Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio), have revealed in a new report that the Obama administration secretly tried to help Iran use U.S. banks to convert $5.7 billion in Iranian assets, after promising Congress that Iran would not get access to the U.S. financial system — and then lied to Congress about what it had done. (Full disclosure: My wife works for Portman).
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/obama-took-lying-to-new-heights-with-the-iran-deal/2018/06/07/b75f72d2-6a7c-11e8-9e38-24e693b38637_story.html?utm_term=.c873e28e10e7

edited June 10 #8

Put the kool aid down boys he sold us out and gave billions of our our tax dollars to terrorists..

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member

@MikeA said:
    Put the kool aid down boys he sold us out and gave billions of our our tax dollars to terrorists..

Man---you ain't gettin it----get informed
    Lifted sanctions gave them access to their own money---it's not that hard to understand

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,891 Senior Member

@FishTX said:
    Wouldn't that be welcome to the Lodge part three?

Lol. Welcome back Rodney.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,576 Senior Member

Indeed. Rodney redux redux.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

@Bushart said:

@MikeA said:

Man---you ain't gettin it----get informed
    Lifted sanctions gave them access to their own money---it's not that hard to understand

Oh, thankfully we are all "getting informed" now and it's as dirty as I suspected it was all along.

NR summed it up perfectly.

The Iran deal was a deceptive dereliction of duty from the outset, resting on a fundamentally flawed understanding of Iran, the Middle East, and the world. The world’s greatest power confronted a third-tier nation with a fourth-tier military, and practically begged to avoid conflict.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,404 Senior Member

An opinion piece from the National Review is hardly fact, in fact it is hardly journalism.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

It's common knowledge worldwide that after the lifted sanctions----the Iranians were able to access their locked up $$$

NR does not get it
    But the countries in the Nuclear deal did---well now minus one who reneged on the deal

PS Comic
    Heard a prof from London this morn who after the G7--called Trump a "Man Baby"

so as per your avatar~~you are a comic and a prophet

@fishingcomic said:
    An opinion piece from the National Review is hardly fact, in fact it is hardly journalism.

Right. Which is why I posted the article from the bleeding heart WaPo originally.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/obama-took-lying-to-new-heights-with-the-iran-deal/2018/06/07/b75f72d2-6a7c-11e8-9e38-24e693b38637_story.html?utm_term=.c873e28e10e7

Except the author is a bleeding heart conservative from the American Enterprise Institute.

So what. He's right and there are numerous articles from multiple sources about the deceptive tactics Obama used to get this deal. But the real question is why make any concessions to a country who helped facilitate 911, who chants death to America, death to Israel, and is listed as the top sponsor of terror in the world?

Mike, go back to the day of the deal. What alternative to the deal would have stopped the bomb making? Or were you willing to accept that. Did you want an invasion or other war action?

The point is, without your alternative solution to discuss, you sound like just another party hack.

edited June 11 #20

If there was a really bad parolee who was known for his penchant for mass shootings, who lived in the town next to where you and your family live. Then the police found out he was building a stash of AR's and other misc weapons. What would you want the police to do?? Bribe him to give up his guns and then be banned from verifying that he did?

edited June 11 #21

I couldn't open the article, so I have no opinion on what he said. I just thought if funny that you assume that the Post would only publish liberal opinion pieces.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,438 Senior Member

@George K said:
    I couldn't open the article, so I have no opinion on what he said. I just thought if funny that you assume that the Post would only publish liberal opinion pieces.

Well, that is the narrative that the Orange Fuhrer espouses.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,253 Senior Member

That's Orange Julius Caesar, the Cheetoh Benito, or Mango Mussolini.

@MikeA said:
    If there was a really bad parolee who was known for his penchant for mass shootings, who lived in the town next to where you and your family live. Then the police found out he was building a stash of AR's and other misc weapons. What would you want the police to do?? Bribe him to give up his guns and then be banned from verifying that he did?

Now that is one hell of a nonsensical "non-response response".
    Now, about Iran.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file