Now We Know Why Canada is Considered a Threat to Our National Security

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 8,709 Senior Member

"Canadians have reacted with dismay to reports US President Donald Trump questioned whether Canada burned down the White House during a call with the country's leader, Justin Trudeau.

British forces did set fire to the presidential residence during the War of 1812 with the US.

But Canada did not exist at the time - it was made up of British colonies.

"Didn't you guys burn down the White House?" Mr Trump reportedly asked in a call with Mr Trudeau over new tariffs.

It is not clear if the comment was intended as a joke, but CNN report that it followed an exchange in which Mr Trudeau asked how the US could justify the tariffs as a "national security" issue..."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44394156

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,202 Senior Member

The Canadians won the Battle of Quebec. Need to keep an eye on them.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member

Yeah better also watch out for Japan, Britain, Germany, Italy---who over time have had a "disagreement" with the US
    Well never been to war with Russia---maybe that's why they're Trump's BFF's

The failing NY Times is now asking if Trump's going to Quebec---knowing he's now the tariff surprise in the punchbowl

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,070 Senior Member

Anytime Canada wants a rematch....

@Bushart said:
    Yeah better also watch out for Japan, Britain, Germany, Italy---who over time have had a "disagreement" with the US

We already beat these countries (Brits twice), but not Canada...

It seems so weird to think about a war with the Brits, or that a short 75 years ago Germany and France and England were mortal enemies. They're all Germans anyway, if you think about it.

I knew her dad...

@Steven said:
    I knew her dad...

Does that make you feel old? sheesh.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,709 Senior Member

@breamfisher said:
    Ahem....

I thought the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Wasn't that the Italians? The Germans sank the USS Maine.

@sherb said:

@Steven said:
    I knew her dad...

Does that make you feel old? sheesh.

A little. But that was when I was still in my 20s. Her father started up a couple of life insurance companies that he took public and eventually sold.

He died about 10 years ago.

Canadians burning something!

Actually there was a US invasion of Canada not long ago---think shortly after your last election?

Remember, you gave us Bieber and Celine Dion.

@Steven said:

That's what we call a shot across the bow :)

Ok Things are gettin weird now--cuz allies get this
    Supply mgmt has been there forever---even when the 1st Can/US deal was struck and NAFTA

cbc.ca/news/politics/trump-trudeau-dairy-supply-management-1.4697529

And Russia gets a Trump endorsement

cbc.ca/news/politics/trump-russia-g7-canada-1.4697655

Isn't that Trump's point? The things we've acceded to forever should never have been agreed to in the first place?

What's the issue anyway? You guys afraid that Wisconsin might cut you off, thus threatening Canadian national milk security?

@Steven said:

True, but k.d. lang, Oscar Peterson, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Diana Krall, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Glenn Gould, The McGarrigle sisters, Hank Snow, Maynard Ferguson and others are fair compensation.

My pet peeve Canadian threat to our economic National Security are Canadian content laws. :#

@Steven said:
    Isn't that Trump's point? The things we've acceded to forever should never have been agreed to in the first place?

What's the issue anyway? You guys afraid that Wisconsin might cut you off, thus threatening Canadian national milk security?

Supply mgmt in our country is to ensure constant supplies---no shortages or overproduction

Oh and the US still has a trade surplus with us---even when Trump tried to invent facts to Trudeau a while back

Trump is playing tuff guy for his base

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,683 Senior Member
    edited June 8 #23

Blame Canada!!!

edited June 8 #24

@Bushart said:

Supply mgmt in our country is to ensure constant supplies---no shortages or overproduction

I just snorted. That's a **** laughable excuse for cartelization to protect the income of your dairy farmers. It's on chicken, eggs, and turkey as well, no?

So we're now having "supply management" of steel and aluminum.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 115 Senior Member

@George K said:
    @Steven said:

True, but k.d. lang, Oscar Peterson, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Diana Krall, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Glenn Gould, The McGarrigle sisters, Hank Snow, Maynard Ferguson and others are fair compensation.

My pet peeve Canadian threat to our economic National Security are Canadian content laws. :#

Don't leave out Gordon Lightfoot!

Yup and we also pay a higher price to maintain supply mgmt

and snort as you will---reason you buy imported steel and alum is apparently you cannot supply all demands

Steven's right on this one (turns aside momentarily, gasping, choking and calling out to St. John Maynard for aid). The reason we import steel from Canada and elswhere, which we also export to Canada and elsewhere is good old comparative advantage as it is embodied in specialty products and cost in any given location on any given day.

And yes, "supply management" is a euphemism for "sort-of legal under GATT cartel".

edited June 8 #28

@Bushart said:
    Yup and we also pay a higher price to maintain supply mgmt

Don't be proud. You're a bunch of idiots supporting transfer payments to dairy farmers.

and snort as you will---reason you buy imported steel and alum is apparently you cannot supply all demands

Nonsense. We can't support demand at the world price. But we could certainly support demand at some artificially contrived higher price.

Look, we do all kinds of stupid things too, economically speaking, with regards to trade (and farmers!). But don't come off like Trump is some r-a-p-I-s-t and Canada's a virgin in a white dress.

edited June 8 #29

"Don't be proud. You're a bunch of idiots supporting transfer payments to dairy farmers."

Don't throw stones, Steven. When it comes to dairy and other ag products our house is constructed of very thin glass.

BTW - different subject - I used to understand the difference between a mutual insurance company and a reciprocal insurance exchange, but had trouble explaining it to a friend the other day when we were discussing USAA. Can you provide a simple explanation?

Idiots ...Really?
    Why because we want our farmers to make a living wage and survive
    And not go bankrupt with a cutthroat race to the bottom---where the family farm is gone and now the farmer is an employee of a corporation and a tenant on what used to be his land

Better get some more info on farm subsidies in US
    https://thoughtco.com/us-farm-subsidies-3325162

@George K said:
    "Don't be proud. You're a bunch of idiots supporting transfer payments to dairy farmers."

Don't throw stones, Steven. When it comes to dairy and other ag products our house is constructed of very thin glass.

I thought I said that.

BTW - different subject - I used to understand the difference between a mutual insurance company and a reciprocal insurance exchange, but had trouble explaining it to a friend the other day when we were discussing USAA. Can you provide a simple explanation?

So, in a mutual insurance company the policy members are the owners of the company and entitled to its capital and surplus if the company were to demutualize. Mutuals are incorporated.

Reciprocals are exchanges in which the members actually exchange insurance risk with each other. Imagine 20 basketball players getting together and insuring each other's wealth. Capital and surplus is owned by the members, like a mutual, but unlike a mutual, if the reciprocal needs to raise money, it can assess the policyholders for needed funds.

Also, reciprocal members are not generally protected from legal liability (like with an incorporated stock or mutual insurer). However, Texas law does provide limited liability to reciprocals - why you have USAA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file