I am having a difficult time figuring out how to best contribute to this forum.

bmmikebmmike Posts: 52 Member

Also, I’m not sure whose side I should take in the great politics debate.

Replies

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,101 Senior Member

How about forgetting "sides" and just go with common sense and fact. Its pretty simple.

I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 852 Senior Member

Dog, you're going to confuse him even more--'common sense' and 'facts' are rarer than tippet rings these days. At any given time, half the board will accuse the other half of lacking either.

BMMIKE, why don't you introduce yourself for starters, then tell us all about your favorite five-weight.

Jim

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,404 Senior Member

You could start by telling us about yourself.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,101 Senior Member

Jim, you crack me up...tippet rings.....yes I want to know what his favorite five wt is, but am really more interested in his three wt.

I know, common sense and facts have been out of style since the eighties.

I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • bmmikebmmike Posts: 52 Member

Some of you know me. I live on a river in Montana. I like fishing and hunting and being outside. I’ve been banned before, not unlike many others. As far as politics go, I tend to side with whichever is not currently winning — the supporters of our former chocolate overlord used to be insufferable, but now those supporting our despicable orange overlord have replaced them as the world’s biggest cretins.

My favorite 5wt is a 9’ Hardy Zephrus w/ English-made Marquis reel, both gifts from a friend at Hardy this past October when he showed up at my house to fish.

I don’t own a 3 weight. I used to have one of the old, un-sanded Orvis rods in 3wt. I can’t remember what those were called, but they were pretty ok.

I'm eager for the alpine lake season to start. I walked about 12 miles yesterday, checking out two lower elevation lakes at around 7K ft, but its still early even at that elevation. There were no fish feeding and none cruising to sight fish, so I just sat on the mountain a while and enjoyed the fresh air -- I've caught enough fish to bother with carrying a spinning rod for this time of year or even to put on the bobber and a couple chromonids or strip leeches since none of those things are what I really care to do. I also made a friend while I was contemplating, his name turned out to be Raul -- I hope he isn't here illegally.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,438 Senior Member

Raul looks cool.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,576 Senior Member

Nice pics.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • saltydancindavesaltydancindave Senior Member Posts: 2,309 Senior Member

Find trying to comprehend the no politics/forum political platform where the middle east has preplanning of Hamas & Iran to overrun Israel while knowing more of M.E.K. & Clinton's cronies support in tracing their businesses might be an outline of what those burning Bush's business was tight with Arabs & Al Qaeda before 9/11.
    wish I knew more about M.E.K. ------a summary----
    Iran is tight with Hamas, Iran is tight with Assad,
    Iran is tight with MB, Iran is tight with bloody HOUTHIS, M.E.K is another player of
    dubious construct
    Translate:
    Nach Ausstieg aus Atomabkommen: John Boltons blutige Pläne für den Iran

Iranian Group M.E.K. Wins Removal From U.S. Terrorist List

What are your feelings on Silver Bullets?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

@fishingcomic said:
    What are your feelings on Silver Bullets?

Sinking them in the lake after enjoying creates great artificial fish habitat since their Frost Brew (tm) liner creates a cold sanctuary keeping the surrounding water cool in the heat of summer.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,031 Senior Member

@bmmike said:

Sinking them in the lake after enjoying creates great artificial fish habitat since their Frost Brew (tm) liner creates a cold sanctuary keeping the surrounding water cool in the heat of summer.

It's been many years.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,891 Senior Member

you still have that bamboo rod?

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 939 Senior Member

That was a good move for you mister!!! Glad you're enjoying it.

As far as the board goes, just throw out a zinger every now and then to feed the trolls and move on.
    Keep an eye open for Swizz's knife posts. Those are about the only ones that don't go politico.

@sherb said:

Yes, that’s the rod I fish when I’m not backpacking. It’s a 6 weight, tho, so it couldn’t be my favorite 3 or 5 weight.

5 or so years back, I saw you were tying some absolutely amazing muddler-type streamers.

I still tie a ton. Every winter or two I spike all my flies into the bin and then tie a few hundred flies to refill my boxes. I didn’t get that urge this past winter but I’ve still been tying a bunch.

@bmmike said:
    I still tie a ton. Every winter or two I spike all my flies into the bin and then tie a few hundred flies to refill my boxes. I didn’t get that urge this past winter but I’ve still been tying a bunch.

I need some doubles for the grand ronde.

@sherb said:

@bmmike said:

I need some doubles for the grand ronde.

Didn’t I send you 5 or 6 dozen?

MOAR

(I will pay)

Did any of them work?

**** yeah they work. Green butt skunk on a double hook? Yes they work.

Are you going with JD this year? Mayhap Ill go and bring you some but perchance I shan’t...

I might, yeah. He has the double wide for 5 glorious October days.

I heard Doug isn’t running the place any longer.

@bmmike said:

@sherb said:

Yes, that’s the rod I fish when I’m not backpacking. It’s a 6 weight, tho, so it couldn’t be my favorite 3 or 5 weight.

I got a 3wt at Cabelas for $65, it is fiberglass, I love that rod. 5'9"

@fishingcomic said:

Was that the original Cabela's fiberglass rod? Do I remember correctly that there was an issue with many reels being unable to fit?

That is possible. It has a cork handle with just two metal bands to keep them in place.

@fishingcomic said:

@bmmike said:

@sherb said:

Cabelas?

Sir, do you take me for some sort of animal!!??1!!

Good day. I said GOOD DAY!!!!!!!11!1!!1

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,576 Senior Member
    edited June 6 #30

I don't think I've ever had a bad experience with Cabela's mid-to-upper level house brand rods and, even more so, fly lines. Their six piece travel rods are very good, and my four piece 5 wt switch rod fishes as well as far more expensive ones although it's not as pretty cosmetically.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

@bmmike said:
    I heard Doug isn’t running the place any longer.

fact check: true.

I have not yet met the new owners because I didn't go last year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file