So Sherb.

fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior MemberPosts: 21,347 Senior Member

Did you have to look up oleaginous?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Replies

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,785 Senior Member

Did I miss a joke? I must have.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,347 Senior Member

I imagined you a George Will fan.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Oh yeah, I read that. He pulled no punches. Holy crap.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,485 Senior Member

I've always loved reading Will on baseball; on this occasion I agree completely with him on a non-baseball topic.

What sealed the deal on Pence for me was his refusal to pardon a wrongly convicted man who was demonstrated to be innocent. He's an arrogant putz, wallowing in his own certitude.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-indiana-crime/indiana-governor-pardons-man-whom-pence-would-not-idUSKBN15P2II

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

@sherb said:

But you were not one of the 99% that had to go straight to Google to look it up?

edited May 12 #7

@George K said:
    I've always loved reading Will on baseball; on this occasion I agree completely with him on a non-baseball topic.

What sealed the deal on Pence for me was his refusal to pardon a wrongly convicted man who was demonstrated to be innocent. He's an arrogant putz, wallowing in his own certitude.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-indiana-crime/indiana-governor-pardons-man-whom-pence-would-not-idUSKBN15P2II

Pence was always just two rungs up the ladder from Alex Jones.

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,645 Senior Member

@George K said:

This.

And I google it.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

@fishingcomic said:

@sherb said:

But you were not one of the 99% that had to go straight to Google to look it up?

No, I've heard the term, generally when referring to this gentleman:

edited May 13 #11

I agree with George Orwell about Will's writing.

I disagree with Bennett that Pence doesn't have it coming. You dance with the one that brung ya. Pence, for good or ill, has to suffer the slings and arrows for his choices. It will probably work out for him just fine, George Will's invective notwithstanding.

He can always go back to being a Rush Limbaugh wannabe.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,485 Senior Member

Me too agreeum with Mr. Blair, but I'm willing to make an exception for Will writing about Trump and Pence. In any event, oleaginous isn't all that esoteric a word for any of us old enough to recall when fake butter was called oleomargarine.

p.s to Sherb - Pence may dance with who brung him, but given his fear of being in a room with wimmens other than his wife I'll give him the the benefit of the doubt and wager he won't swing with who swung him.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file