The Greatest Rock Band Ever

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 2,580 Senior Member

Stones, or CCR? :)

Replies

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member

Ummmm.....Neither

Best between those 2----stones

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,580 Senior Member

I hope you're not one of those Beatles fan boys. :)

@MikeA said:
    I hope you're not one of those Beatles fan boys. :)

Abbey Road was one of the best albums ever released---but you have to define "Rock"---think the Beatles don't fit for the purists

Like the Movies--how do you pick 1---that's why I went 10 with movies--I can give ya 10 albums for Gilligan's Isle

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,485 Senior Member

This new software is strange. I edited my post and it was deleted. Here's a reconstruction.

The Beatles were more than just a rock band, and I agree that the Stones are better than CCR.

My favorite one-off all-star band is The Louisiana Gator Boys (than whom none greater).

"The Louisiana Gator Boys was an all-star band for the battle of the bands scene of the Blues Brothers 2000 movie.

The members are:
    B.B. King (Vocals, Guitar), Eric Clapton (Vocals, Guitar), Bo Diddley (Vocals, Guitar), Travis Tritt (Vocals, Guitar), Jimmie Vaughan (Vocals, Guitar), Gary U.S. Bonds (Vocals), Isaac Hayes (Vocals), Tommy McDonnell (Vocals), Lou Rawls (Vocals), Koko Taylor (Vocals), Clarence Clemons (Vocals, Tenor Saxophone, Tambourine), Dr. John (Vocals, Piano), Charlie Musselwhite (Vocals, Harmonica), Billy Preston (Vocals, Synthesizer), Steve Winwood (Vocals, Organ), Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (Guitar), Jack DeJohnette (Drums), John Faddis (Trumpet), Joshua Redman (Tenor Saxophone), Grover Washington Jr. (Baritone Saxophone), Willie Weeks (Bass).

Members: (with real names)
    Billy Preston, Charlie Musselwhite, Clarence Clemons, Ellas McDaniel, Eric Clapton, Gary Anderson (4), Grover Washington, Jr., Isaac Hayes, Jack DeJohnette, Jeff Baxter, Jimmie Vaughan, Jon Faddis, Joshua Redman, Koko Taylor, Lou Rawls, Mac Rebennack, Riley B. King, Steve Winwood, Travis Tritt, Willie Weeks."

https://www.discogs.com/artist/437878-The-Louisiana-Gator-Boys

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,251 Senior Member

Pre-1984 Van Halen

That's a lotta names George

Question--how you posting vids??

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,251 Senior Member

George, I respectfully disagree to that being a "rock" band.

Its lineup, to me, is more blues/soul. Great musicians all.

@Bushart said:
    That's a lotta names George

Question--how you posting vids??

By accident. I copied and pasted the web address. Again, strange new software.

BTW - Travis Tritt is there, so perhaps it's a country/rock/blues band. :)

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,380 Senior Member

Hmmm... Between those two I have to go with the Stones on about 9/10 days. The Stones are in my top 10 for sure.

For me I have to go ultra-boring and say either Led Zeppelin, Rush or ZZ Top. Get back to me next week and that may change.

Also, the Beatles blow. They put out so much content that they stumbled into 10 or so decent songs but that's it.

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,587 Senior Member

Metallica

“Labor unions are super-PACs. Labor unions are super-PACs Democrats like so we don’t go after labor unions .”
    -Howard Screamin Dean

@jbilly said:
    Metallica

Did you type that while wearing stone-washed jeans?

@Shawn C. said:

@jbilly said:
    Metallica

Did you type that while wearing stone-washed jeans?

Why are you assuming I am wearing pants?

“Labor unions are super-PACs. Labor unions are super-PACs Democrats like so we don’t go after labor unions .”
    -Howard Screamin Dean
  • creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 62 Member
    edited May 11 #14

Okay, define "rock band" and distinguish them from other similar genres.
    And then, name the best rock band name. My fave: Denver's own "the 4Nicators", although it prevented them from going big time. Sad.

edited May 11 #15

@Shawn C. said:

Also, the Beatles blow. They put out so much content that they stumbled into 10 or so decent songs but that's it.

Young'un---I know your a l'il upset cuz Cindy and the Pens are out----But there's approx a BILLION folks may disagree with this sentiment or was it sediment---I'm confused

@jbilly said:
    Metallica

Dude...Serious???---you bin drinkin whiskey in the jar-o?

edited May 11 #17

@Bushart said:

@jbilly said:
    Metallica

Dude...Serious???---you bin drinkin whiskey in the jar-o?

I have been know to drink whiskey while listening to Metallica. Though I don't think to this. Its not my favorite by any means. Garage Days didnt do much for me.

I hope you alll watch it and enjoy the best rock band of all eternity :)

-Howard Screamin Dean

OK...Gonna go the full Lester Bangs from Creem Magazine---if you were born prior to 1972---you missed Rock n Roll...your just there for the death rattle

Here's my top 10 (Bein Mike did'nt ask)--Now Rock creeps both ways--towards heavy or pop in that era

Note: Jay Z will not be involved

1. Who Are You..The Who
    2. The Last Waltz...The Band
    3. Live Rust....Neil Young and Crazy Horse
    4. The Wall...Pink Floyd
    5. Hotel California...The Eagles
    6. Zeppelin 4....Led Zep
    7. A New World Record ....ELO
    8. Born To Run....Bruce Springsteen
    9. Achtung Baby...U2
    10. Night Moves...Bob Segar

Also ran's but just as good....Dark Side of The Moon....Even in The Quietest Moments...The Yes Album...Pet Sounds...America's Greatest Hits...The White Album...Out of The Blue``

Don't you mean "after" 1972?

Newsflash to Bushart: The Eagles also blow. Easy listening country-esque garbage.

The Who? Yep, they are truly great. The rest of your list is also acceptable with the possible exception of Pink Floyd. People say they love Pink Floyd because to say otherwise isn't cool. Same with pizza and beer. Nobody likes to eat pizza with beer but you will be branded a communist if you say otherwise.

@Bushart said:

@Shawn C. said:

Young'un---I know your a l'il upset cuz Cindy and the Pens are out----But there's approx a BILLION folks may disagree with this sentiment or was it sediment---I'm confused

Ha!!! Hey, I'm happy with back-to-back. 3 out of 4 would be cool though! They just weren't good enough this year. No way were they going to win 3 in a row. The Brassard trade was bad. Dude didn't' do squat for us. Want him back?

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,645 Senior Member

Queen

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

@FishTX said:
    Queen

I approve this message.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,347 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:
    Newsflash to Bushart: The Eagles also blow. Easy listening country-esque garbage.

The Who? Yep, they are truly great. The rest of your list is also acceptable with the possible exception of Pink Floyd. People say they love Pink Floyd because to say otherwise isn't cool. Same with pizza and beer. Nobody likes to eat pizza with beer but you will be branded a communist if you say otherwise.

That's it, the next time we fish, I am bringing you a Budweiser.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 62 Member
    edited May 12 #25

@Shawn C. said:

People say they love Pink Floyd because to say otherwise isn't cool.
    __Uh, maybe because they are stoned? __
    Same with pizza and beer. Nobody likes to eat pizza with beer.
    __This Comment goes in the bizarro Hall of Fame. __

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,785 Senior Member

@Shawn C. said:

Every word here is a bald-faced lie. Methinks thou doth protest too much, pinko.

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,645 Senior Member

@sherb said:

@Shawn C. said:

The Who? Yep, they are truly great.

Every word here is a bald-faced lie.

You are dead to me. Aren't you the guy who doesn't like Led Zeppelin.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

One certainty I know bout Floyd-----If you could'nt get lucky putting on Dark Side of The Moon at the right time.........Your Ugly :)

I’m with Shawn here. The Eagles are just crap.

-Howard Screamin Dean

@jbilly said:

Dude
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=h1WJqKWqUHQ

@jbilly said:

Nah, not crap, rather a pop/bubblegum/folkum group with one or two catchy pseudo profound songs. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file