How bout that school resource officer

jbillyjbilly Senior MemberPosts: 4,548 Senior Member

Nice work! Buy that man a beer...hopefully he doesn't have to buy his own anymore.

“Labor unions are super-PACs. Labor unions are super-PACs Democrats like so we don’t go after labor unions .”
-Howard Screamin Dean

Comments

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,798 Senior Member

We need more like him.

Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,201 Senior Member
    edited March 21 #3

Good job. I think an armed police officer in these schools is a good idea. Throw in a single entryway and you would have a much safer school.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    Good job. I think an armed police officer in these schools is a good idea. Throw in a single entryway and you would have a much safer school.

Who are you and what did you do with fishingcomic?

I have been saying for years that an armed police officer, not a gym teacher, should be guarding a single entrance to the school. You cannot get into a NYC public school without showing your ID to a cop. All you gotta do is give them a gun,

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,462 Senior Member
    edited March 21 #6

Delete

edited March 21 #7

I have and idea that I think would be a great addition to Armed police officers. Well Trained K9’s. They aren't scared of anything.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,622 Senior Member

@MikeA said:

@MikeA said:
    I have and idea that I think would be a great addition to Armed police officers. Well Trained K9’s. They aren't scared of anything.

You're right. They're not. I'm sure no department wants the liability though. Even though its unlikely, you might still get some kids bitten, and those dogs aren't messing around.

edited March 21 #9

Yea I don’t know much about the history of K9 units and the liability aspect. But I know if I were in a shooter situation I’d give my right (you know what) to have a Trained K9 at my disposal. I also think it would create pause for someone planning such an attack. Nobody likes to be attacked by an animal.

We could get Sarah Mclaughlin to donate the dogs, and also teach them to be drug sniffing dogs. BOOM three birds one stone. :)

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,622 Senior Member

There's something deep within our atavistic memory banks about being attacked by a dog that makes it so psychologically terrifying. Usually all the cops do is threaten to send the dog in, and the person comes out.

edited March 21 #12

And some of the school fights that I've seen featured on some of the video sites I visit could use some good old fashioned fear. They sure weren't scared of the teachers, or SRO for that matter.

@MikeA said:
    Yea I don’t know much about the history of K9 units and the liability aspect. But I know if I were in a shooter situation I’d give my right (you know what) to have a Trained K9 at my disposal. I also think it would create pause for someone planning such an attack. Nobody likes to be attacked by an animal.

When I was working at a hotel in Detroit, we had a group of K9 officers there for a conference. They said there are two kinds of K9 officers, those that have been bitten and those that are about to be bitten. The dog does not bite out of aggression, it is a game to them.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member

Last I heard, they didn't know if the guy shot himself or was taken down by the officer - has that been verified?

K9's are almost as expensive as a cop. Handlers are hard to find because not everyone wants a dog or can have one.
    Of the 5 at my son's department, only 2 are biters (have NEVER bitten handler), the other three are used for drugs and tracking and pretty much just nip, not bite hard when in that situation.
    The two that bite are wicked though.

• EchoTestEchoTest Posts: 338 Senior Member

I've got nothing against laws if I think they are effective...but in so many cases its irrefutably obvious that so many times they just aren't.....bans on certain types weapons.....well....there are 3 million people incarcerated for breaking laws in the US.....murder is against the law and there were 16,000 of them in one recent year...same with 90,000 rapes, 300,000 robberies, and 700,000 aggravated and simple assaults. Same with millions of violations of laws every year. Bans? Look at prohibition and controlled substances. All that did was give incentive for individuals and organizations to violate even more laws to illegally manufacture, grow, or import and then distribute that which was banned, even to the point that in each of recent years there are over 100 billion dollars in transactions selling controlled substances and vast organizations fighting all out wars against governments, law enforcement agencies, military organizations and each other for market share. Age limits? 1/10th of all alcoholic beverages consumed in the United States is consumed by minors. 50% of all school shootings where the age of the shooter is known were minors. Kids still get their hands on things where age limits and strict controls and procedures and penalties for infractions are in place to prevent them.

You want to help reduce the incentive and carnage of school (or any other) attempts at mass murder....reduce the amount of time it takes for armed response.

I got this idea that maybe one thing to do is make it policy that from now on....when a new police HQ or substation needs to be built....build it on the same city, county, or state land where schools are built!

But one thing for sure.....laws don't prevent doodley squat....especially not when somebody is driven to do what they wanna do!

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member

@EchoTest said:
    I've got nothing against laws if I think they are effective...but in so many cases its irrefutably obvious that so many times they just aren't.....bans on certain types weapons.....well....there are 3 million people incarcerated for breaking laws in the US.....murder is against the law and there were 16,000 of them in one recent year...same with 90,000 rapes, 300,000 robberies, and 700,000 aggravated and simple assaults. Same with millions of violations of laws every year. Bans? Look at prohibition and controlled substances. All that did was give incentive for individuals and organizations to violate even more laws to illegally manufacture, grow, or import and then distribute that which was banned, even to the point that in each of recent years there are over 100 billion dollars in transactions selling controlled substances and vast organizations fighting all out wars against governments, law enforcement agencies, military organizations and each other for market share. Age limits? 1/10th of all alcoholic beverages consumed in the United States is consumed by minors. 50% of all school shootings where the age of the shooter is known were minors. Kids still get their hands on things where age limits and strict controls and procedures and penalties for infractions are in place to prevent them.

You want to help reduce the incentive and carnage of school (or any other) attempts at mass murder....reduce the amount of time it takes for armed response.

I got this idea that maybe one thing to do is make it policy that from now on....when a new police HQ or substation needs to be built....build it on the same city, county, or state land where schools are built!

But one thing for sure.....laws don't prevent doodley squat....especially not when somebody is driven to do what they wanna do!

Some folks don't get that. They just scream "More gun laws!!" thinking it will solve the problem.

So what the heck, let's make everything legal.

BTW when the AWB was in effect there were fewer shootings with AW,

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

You do realize that AWB only caused a TON of sales of AR15's which didn't fall under the AWB.

Under the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 the definition of "semiautomatic assault weapon" included specific semi-automatic firearm models by name, and other semi-automatic firearms that possessed two or more from a set certain features:
    Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
    Folding or telescoping stock
    Pistol grip
    Bayonet mount
    Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
    Grenade launcher

I have two AR's that don't fit in that criteria. I mean who has a bayonet mount or a grenade launcher - hahaha.

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,798 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:

Show your work, not buying that.

Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.

Laws are always required for prosecuting people who break the law! They don't prevent doodley squat! The real data on how many violations of laws occur every year irrefutably proves it! Problem with school shootings and more laws is that school shooters (presently) are already breaking laws even if there isn't a ban on assault weapons so what's another law going to do? There are already laws against shooting people, having weapons on school property, trespassing on school property (which basically says being on school property without legitimate reason for being on school property), murder is against the law, there are different classifications of murder and penalties based on classification including hate crimes and terrorism. None of this has stopped anybody! Bans, that's covered under how many violations of bans occur every year and historical evidence such as what happened during prohibition and how many (100 billion) dollars of sales transactions there are in controlled substances as well as related crimes (growing, manufacturing, importing, distributing). Between 2010 and 2015 there were over 1.4 million reported thefts of weapons from their owners and these guns went through the hands of criminals where most remained. Just as people will prostitute themselves, trade other illegal items or commit crimes in order to obtain that which is illicit, rare, illegal or banned by law, so are guns traded in the criminal world. There are many area of the country that function under their own, isolated micro economies where barter is the main form of transaction used, and so it is in the criminal world too, and guns are a favored form of transaction among criminals. In the world today, there exists in many, many countries vast caches of military grade weapons available for purchase for literally pennies on the dollar and immoral merchants from individuals to those running large organizations who buy them up and ship and distribute them aorund the world, wherever there is demand there is somebody ready to exploit it, even if its illegal. Criminals do not care about laws, most criminals consider them mere nuisance if not opportunity.

I have nothing against laws, when and for what they are effective for, but I'm analytical and a pragmatist, and one thing that is absolutely, irrefutably certain is that laws more often than not (and obviously in the case of mass murders) don't prevent doodley squat, sooooooooooooo.......since that is true, if you do want to prevent or bring something about....OBVIOUSLY......your going to have to take a different tack....and I'm all for that because....I'm against school shootings and mass murder....and I'm a pragmatist.

Something else I didn't and probably don't need to mention is this....its is merely my humble opinion that the use of a so called 'assault' weapon in mass murders in the United States is probably driven more by culture than by more tangible characteristics of effectiveness. I think part of it lies purely in their classification of 'assault type'! That's more 'terror' inducing than 'hunting' or 'sporting' type weapon, where there are many weapons that can work as effectively as an 'assault' type for the purposes. Most mass murder school shootings are a lone gunmen calmly, slowly, and methodically walking down hall after hall inspecting room after room for victims and methodically shooting them one at a time. Where in 'American' culture have we seen this (first person shooter games such a Doom ahem cough cough). But let's look at other cultures and the preferred methods of mass murderers. Places where basement made biological and chemical weapons such as saran gas on subways were the preferred method (Japan and the UK which doesn't have very many guns), or cultures where improvised explosive devices were the preferred methods (Middle East, Ireland and the IRA, etc). Further proof not only that laws but also bans don't accomplish doodley squat. A shooter with a semiautomatic pistol and a school backpack of pre-loaded clips of any size can work as effectively at carrying out the method of most school shootings as if they had an assault rifle, probably even easier...more portable, weights less, easier to conceal, etc. But even if there weren't any guns.....and just on cue right after Parkland we have the Austin Bomber.....and in the past...lots of other incidents....including biological and chemical attacks too....

I am convinced the most effective deterrent and method of prevention of mass shootings is....immediate armed response and infrastructure changes. Egress and ingress control, monitored cameras, remotely controlled barricades and doors, armed intervention on campus.

Because laws sure don't seem to prevent anything! Allow prosecution of crimes....and even as I've heard so many leaders and politicos and law enforcement and professors state.....give the majority of the public the sense of (fales) security that is necessary for the gears of the economy to keep grinding along....but they don't PREVENT doodley squat! Even law enforcement knows that....that's why they didn't write laws, declare the job done, and then go home...NO...they're out there in the trenches taking the fight to where the crimes happen!

PS...sorry for all the mistypes...I've got my device on my chest in bed....

Oh...and then there's the new thing....ramming concentrated pedestrians with large vehicles.

Point being....laws don't prevent motivated, committed, driven, people from doing something they want to do. They mostly only give you a means of prosecuting people who violate the laws, and giving society a false sense of security so the gears of economy grind along and helping keep society civilized.

And then there's the other thing....laws also can be enacted for intentions other than any of the above or 'altruistic' reasons....for personal objectives...some of those reasons in themselves being immoral or nefarious or self serving....which is one reason of many to be sure why so many ineffective laws are put into the books....political reasons....wanting to **** some people or groups in society off for personal reasons...wanting to feel power by being able to effect people's lives including sometimes in negative ways for the power trip or satiation of other psycho driven desires or needs...and more...

But you can't refute the real data! Laws don't prevent people from breaking them. OBVIOUSLY! Go ahead, ban assault weapons, there are still pressure cookers, large 3/4 ton pickups with high torque diesels and big engines for rent or just steal one, basement biologic and chemical agents, improvised explosive devices, semiautomatic pistols, arson, etc ad infinitum....there are strict procedures and controls in place and billions spent and tens of thousands of people working in preventing access to all kinds of things, especially by minors, criminals, addicts, etc....but they get them...hell...even if you make schools secure....what about the rest of the world.....with 7 billion plus out there....its a target rich environment!

You can't refute the reality because the proof is pervasive and obvious.....laws don't prevent doodley squat! You're going to need to do something else if certain things are your real objective! Advocating for laws when its so obvious they don't prevent anything indicates among many possible things...lack of understanding, some reason to refuse or inability to see or accept the truth, or having other and potentially ulterior objectives....and more to be sure....but laws do not prevent people from breaking them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file