Give me your description in detail

CO NativeCO Native Senior MemberPosts: 939 Senior Member

All this talk about banning "assault" rifles and "Military" style weapons has me wondering.
What do you consider should be banned? Give me details about this weapon, I mean everything that should go?

Also, what you think is "Banning". No more can be sold by retailers to the public, none can be sold (even by private party), or even as far as rounding up all the existing ones? I'd like to know (especially from Sherb since he's the ONLY in house expert on firearms).

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,138 Senior Member

To those not familiar with firearms, the answer would be "Anything that looks scary"

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,660 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:
    To those not familiar with firearms, the answer would be "Anything that looks scary"

So a Ruger Mini-14 is exempt? Good.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Can't find the edit function. I meant the traditional style mini 14.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,771 Senior Member

On the left side of your post there are two icons, a square and the gear icon. Click on the gear and you can edit or delete your post.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 629 Senior Member

The only type of gun control scheme that would have a meaningful, positive effect would be to require periodic licensure to own/possess a semi-automatic long gun or hand gun. As long as you are not a whack-a-doodle you'd be able to own/possess any type of semi automatic.

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 939 Senior Member

@Green Mt Boy said:
    The only type of gun control scheme that would have a meaningful, positive effect would be to require periodic licensure to own/possess a semi-automatic long gun or hand gun. As long as you are not a whack-a-doodle you'd be able to own/possess any type of semi automatic.

Please explain how this is different than what we have today (at least in Colorado)? I don't have to be "licensed", but I have to pass a background check to buy ANY type of firearm.

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 850 Senior Member
    edited March 6 #8

What damage can't you do with a Mini 14 that you could do with an AR-style weapon? The Mini is a bit less Ramboesque but just as deadly. For the record, if I could keep it with clear conscience (with a history of PTSD and depression, I don't keep firearms), I'd have bought one in the mid-80's.

Jim

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,889 Senior Member

@CO Native said:

Also, what you think is "Banning". No more can be sold by retailers to the public, none can be sold (even by private party), or even as far as rounding up all the existing ones? I'd like to know (especially from Sherb since he's the ONLY in house expert on firearms).

Passive-aggressive much, Gary? B)

I get there's plenty of people here who know more about firearms than me. I was primarily talking about the media.

I know I'm being set up. I'm not taking that bait.

Its just that I hear its mental health, societal breakdown, culture, Failure of the Sheriff, the FBI, **** parents, blah, blah, blah, and no one bothers to ask why an 18 year-old has access to a weapon designed for the battlefield. Of course its lethal. That's its purpose.

You know, someone mentioned the mini-14. When I was younger, that's all people could get. There wasn't this surge in popularity of assault weapo-er. . modern sporting rifles. They didn't really surge in popularity until the Clinton Assault weapons ban expired. Now they are everywhere. Why?

@magalloway said:
    For the record, if I could keep it with clear conscience (with a history of PTSD and depression, I don't keep firearms).

Jim

That's a brave admission. I thank you. My dad suffered the same from Vietnam, and he also didn't keep firearms around. Of course when the time came and it all became too much, a trip to the gun store, insta-check for a felony, fill out the form. . .and one self-inflicted gunshot wound later, he was gone.

sherb said: no one bothers to ask why an 18 year-old has access to a weapon designed for the battlefield. Of course its lethal. That's its purpose.

Even if he didn't have access to that particular gun. Do you think the outcome would have been much different? Maybe...just maybe...less of a body count. But dead people is still dead people whether it's 3 or 15.

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,781 Senior Member

@sherb said:

@magalloway said:
    For the record, if I could keep it with clear conscience (with a history of PTSD and depression, I don't keep firearms).

Jim

That's a brave admission. I thank you. My dad suffered the same from Vietnam, and he also didn't keep firearms around. Of course when the time came and it all became too much, a trip to the gun store, insta-check for a felony, fill out the form. . .and one self-inflicted gunshot wound later, he was gone.

I am sorry to hear this
    Nobody should have to go through that
    That's what happened to my uncle in that other thread

sherb said: > no one bothers to ask why an 18 year-old has access to a weapon designed for the battlefield. Of course its lethal. That's its purpose.

Even if he didn't have access to that particular gun. Do you think the outcome would have been much different? Maybe...just maybe...less of a body count. But dead people is still dead people whether it's 3 or 15.

You're right. 3=15. Same same.

I am literally left speechless by this.

awesome article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2018/03/06/the-nra-and-its-allies-use-jargon-to-bully-gun-control-supporters/?utm_term=.8be87d9f5c3d

Nothing worse than a "gunsplainer." These libtards don't know AR stands for Armalite! And they want to take our guns away? Pshaw.

Sherb, someone on this board made the comment that you were the only one on the site that knew about firearms, so just following up on that ;-)

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,573 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    You know, someone mentioned the mini-14. When I was younger, that's all people could get. There wasn't this surge in popularity of assault weapo-er. . modern sporting rifles. They didn't really surge in popularity until the Clinton Assault weapons ban expired. Now they are everywhere. Why?

Anything military will result in huge popularity. This goes way, way back.

Secondly, no one on the gun side believes for a minute that restrictions or outright bans will end with AR15s. Lots of gun owners do not own AR15s, nor care to own one. (I'm one of them.) But they believe as goes the AR15, so goes the rest. If I believed that restricting access to one style of firearm would be the end of it, I'd be all for it.

But I know better. When AR15s are banned, kids will start using handguns in schools. Hell, how many of these asshats had or used handguns in their attacks? Most of them had handguns at least in their possession during the shooting. So we'll have a wave of school shootings using 19 round Glocks, and the outcry will begin all over again.

I don't have an answer. I'll just fight to keep the status quo and see how it shakes out. I'm fully expecting my children to only have access to shotguns, lever actions, and bolt rifles in the future. Sort of an Australian/English style gun culture.

edited March 6 #19

Sherb,
    First off, that is horrible news about your dad. Sorry.
    Second, that is a great article and kind of why I started this thread. I want to know what it is that the left want banned and what banning it means.
    I question the wording because I saw an article that some college kids 3d printed 30 round custom mags for a either a Bennelli or Winchester hunting rifle in .270. So now, is this an assault rifle? It shoots just as fast and I couldn't care less about the pistol grip.
    Curious minds want to know.

edited March 6 #20

@sherb said:

sherb said: > > no one bothers to ask why an 18 year-old has access to a weapon designed for the battlefield. Of course its lethal. That's its purpose.

Then your missing the point. Dead people is dead people. It's not the number of people but the fact that people were killed. Don't focus on the number. Focus on what actually happened.

Given the circumstances of the situation...Armed deputy outside that was afraid to go in etc. He probably could have killed the same amount of people with a gun that would shoot only one bullet at a time and a pocket full of 20 more bullets.

Actually I don't blame the armed deputy outside. He's only human like the rest of us. I wouldn't have gone in either.

@Buffco said:

@sherb said:

Anything military will result in huge popularity. This goes way, way back.

Secondly, no one on the gun side believes for a minute that restrictions or outright bans will end with AR15s. Lots of gun owners do not own AR15s, nor care to own one. (I'm one of them.) But they believe as goes the AR15, so goes the rest. If I believed that restricting access to one style of firearm would be the end of it, I'd be all for it.

But I know better. When AR15s are banned, kids will start using handguns in schools. Hell, how many of these asshats had or used handguns in their attacks? Most of them had handguns at least in their possession during the shooting. So we'll have a wave of school shootings using 19 round Glocks, and the outcry will begin all over again.

I don't have an answer. I'll just fight to keep the status quo and see how it shakes out. I'm fully expecting my children to only have access to shotguns, lever actions, and bolt rifles in the future. Sort of an Australian/English style gun culture.

I don't have the answer either but what I see is a few bad apples ruining it for the rest of the law abiding gun owners. I don't think that's right.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,573 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:

@sherb said:

sherb said: > > > no one bothers to ask why an 18 year-old has access to a weapon designed for the battlefield. Of course its lethal. That's its purpose.

Then your missing the point. Dead people is dead people. It's not the number of people but the fact that people were killed. Don't focus on the number. Focus on what actually happened.

Given the circumstances of the situation...Armed deputy outside that was afraid to go in etc. He probably could have killed the same amount of people with a gun that would shoot only one bullet at a time and a pocket full of 20 more bullets.

Actually I don't blame the armed deputy outside. He's only human like the rest of us. I wouldn't have gone in either.

You're really sticking with 3 people dead is better than 15 dead? I'm kinda speechless at this too. 1 death is bad, 3 or 15 is bad. I'm not comfortable, as a gun owner, staking my position on numbers of kids killed.

Giving up our ARs won't solve the problem. But neither will ignoring it make it go away. Ignoring it for long enough will turn the tide and result in our greatest fear: confiscation. There's no middle ground here.

@Bushart said:
    I am sorry to hear this
    Nobody should have to go through that
    That's what happened to my uncle in that other thread

Thank you.

@CO Native said:
    Sherb,
    First off, that is horrible news about your dad. Sorry.

Thanks Gary. It was a while ago.

edited March 6 #25

@Buffco said:
    You're really sticking with 3 people dead is better than 15 dead? I'm kinda speechless at this too. 1 death is bad, 3 or 15 is bad. I'm not comfortable, as a gun owner, staking my position on numbers of kids killed.

Giving up our ARs won't solve the problem. But neither will ignoring it make it go away. Ignoring it for long enough will turn the tide and result in our greatest fear: confiscation. There's no middle ground here.

Like is said to Sherb...quit focusing on the number. There is no "better" just the fact that we have dead people. Instead focus on the situation of what happened.

Frankly I'm sick of all of the focus being on the gun and people ignoring all the situational events leading up to the shooting. Had people not been ignoring all of the signs this shooting was easily preventable.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,575 Senior Member

Sherb, sorry to hear about your dad. I made it back psychologically unscathed for the most part. Many of my comrades in arms did not.

Back to the original question, I would ban the sale of bump stocks and any magazine aside from, perhaps, .177 and .22 with more than a five round capacity. The .177 and .22 ones I would limit at ten rounds - I enjoy plinking as much as the next guy. Even though I have 15 and 25 round magazines for my Ruger .22 I would be willing to forego buying additional or replacement ones.

The key thing though, is that ideally, law enforcement officers in any jurisdiction, to include fish and game officers would be required to confiscate these items, along with the weapons they are attached to upon sight. This is the only way I can see of actually getting them off the streets.

I have to disagree about numbers. Three dead is not as bad as 15 dead, and with fewer rounds per magazine these psychos would be able to kill or wound fewer people in a given amount of time. That's simple arithmetic.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

@magalloway said:
    What damage can't you do with a Mini 14 that you could do with an AR-style weapon?

It was a reply to NZ's scary gun comment. I was saying that the Mini-14 is essentially the same thing without the "scary" looks.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,400 Senior Member

@CO Native said:
    All this talk about banning "assault" rifles and "Military" style weapons has me wondering.
    What do you consider should be banned? Give me details about this weapon, I mean everything that should go?

You're the expert, you tell us.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,432 Senior Member

You probably don't want to hear what I would propose. Not that it matters as I don't plan on running for office so my opinion has zero value. I know that it is an issue I will consider when filling our future ballots.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,652 Senior Member
    edited March 7 #30

It's not the AR or Mini 14 or AK that's the problem. What makes them so lethal is the high capacity magazines. Regulate them to 5 shots and they're just another semi auto.

edited March 7 #31

Interesting to note over the years that handguns have killed more people than those scary rifles everyone keeps talking about. By a very large margin.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-4.xls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file