No discussion of the school shooting in Florida?

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 1,889 Senior Member
Boy, America has a terrible mental health problem. I tell you what.

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,575 Senior Member
    What more is there to say after all the other school shooting threads? I am not willing to engage in yet another guns discussion wherein we all talk at each other, and there seems to be little or no common ground.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,889 Senior Member
    True. Seems pointless. Congress agrees.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,781 Senior Member
    10 characters
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,023 Senior Member
    I'm leaving shortly, but I'll start.

This whole thing is F****** mind-boggling.

1) Everybody knew this guy was mentally ill in some form;
    2) The guy is posting pictures of himself carrying weapons on social media ;
    3) Kids have seen this guy, recently, carrying gun magazines;
    4) The teachers have all been warned.

So, this guy is pretty much expected to blow...and nobody can do a f****** thing to head him off at the pass?

If you see something, say something.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,771 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    What more is there to say after all the other school shooting threads? I am not willing to engage in yet another guns discussion wherein we all talk at each other, and there seems to be little or no common ground.

I agree. The only thing I'll say is; after 18 school shooting this year, it would seem that there is a level of acceptable sacrifice for the right to have our toys. It pisses me off that our children can't be safer.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

I've been a licenced gun owner/hunter for now 42 years

Never been in trouble---never had any issues

Yet....

Next year I'll have to pass yet another check by the authorities to ensure I'm still good

And I'm willing to do this if this system keeps guns out of the hands of idiots
    This is far reaching---as the last time my certification expired and I forgot---I went to buy ammo---and was refused
    Go figure----350 years ago my ancestors left the British Isles and went to Connecticut

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/politics/chris-murphy-florida-school-shooting/index.html
  • saltydancindavesaltydancindave Senior Member Posts: 2,309 Senior Member
    While the merry go round of schools shootings continues so does why would anyone subscribe to a tautology of the same it's one nation under God with equal justice under law & Trump's stand for the national anthem as if nothing happened, getting it swept under the rug & ignored or whitewashing it like SCOTUS's thieving US Constitution-old glory arsonists one nation under God with equal justice under law.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 629 Senior Member
    To much to say to say it. Too numb.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,652 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    There's nothing to say or do. Ban high cap mags. Ban AR's. I honestly couldn't care less. I have never had a need for a $1500 gun and tons of ammo in my safe that never gets used. That said, nothing short of a total gun round up is going to stop the madman with a gun. A couple of Glocks could have done just as much damage, or more maybe.

I'll go on record as a gun owner who's beyond ready to open discussion about new regs as long as it's sensible.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,816 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    There's nothing to say or do. Ban high cap mags. Ban AR's. I honestly couldn't care less. I have never had a need for a $1500 gun and tons of ammo in my safe that never gets used. That said, nothing short of a total gun round up is going to stop the madman with a gun. A couple of Glocks could have done just as much damage, or more maybe.

Just like they rounded up all the illegal drugs and made that problem go away.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,400 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »

There is no point in discussing this. We just must accept this as the new reality.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,138 Senior Member
    I agree. The only thing I'll say is; after 18 school shooting this year, it would seem that there is a level of acceptable sacrifice for the right to have our toys. It pisses me off that our children can't be safer.
    Except, as always, the toys aren't the problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Yes he could have easily killed those 17 people with a pocket knife.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,432 Senior Member

And.... They're off!!!

Honestly I have nothing to say. Our entire society is broken. Shattered. Probably beyond repair. I'm going skiing tomorrow.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,771 Senior Member

Then what is the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,816 Senior Member
    Do you blame cars for drunk driving deaths? I don't know what has to snap in ones head to make them want to kill innocent people at random but it's definitely a psychological problem, how to address it I have know idea. More gun laws will fix nothing.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    Then what is the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ...........738db9b467041d2ead67806067e429d8.jpg

Yes he could have easily killed those 17 people with a pocket knife.
    Or 19 people...

https://nypost.com/2016/07/25/multiple-people-killed-in-knife-attack-near-tokyo/

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,253 Senior Member
    Let's see, how will discussions go...
    1. People will comment on it being a "mental health issue" without suggesting how to pay for increased treatment and institutionalization methods, be it by higher taxes, cuts in other services, etc.
    2. Others will call for increased legislation that will be of dubious effectiveness.
    3. Memes and straw men will be trotted out.
    4. Poor analogies will be made.
    5. Questionable statistics and/or analyses will be brought forth.
    6. Simple, bumper-sticker solutions to complex problems will be brought forth.

Why discuss it? It's really not going to be effective...
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,833 Senior Member
    How about banning video games that brainwash children with the way to solve problems is to shoot people with guns.
    EdB wrote: »
    How about banning video games that brainwash children with the way to solve problems is to shoot people with guns.
    Best Post of this thread so far.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,023 Senior Member
    EdB wrote: »

Apparently, Tipper came by to say hello.

I'll say it again...everybody in that school knew this guy was a problem. Did one person say anything to anybody in authority?
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,859 Senior Member
    most predictable lodge thread ever
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
    Steven wrote: »

I'll say it again...everybody in that school knew this guy was a problem. Did one person say anything to anybody in authority?

Yup. Person is the problem. Not the gun.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article200126034.html
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,573 Senior Member

I haven't checked to see if anybody has responded to this, but this is a bogus number. A couple of these were suicides on campus. A couple were negligent discharges. One was by a cop. One was from a student pressing the trigger on a security officer's weapon as it was holstered. Another was a student wounded in a campus parking lot during a robbery. Another was a student wounded during a sorority party. One was a death during a fight in a parking lot.

There were 3 mass shootings involving deaths. Of the rest:
    • Nine involved no deaths and no gunshot injuries.
    • Two were suicides, with no other injuries (including the one at the closed school).
    • Three were unintentional (although one caused injuries).
    If this latest one were the only one, would that not be enough?
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,573 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »

The FBI investigated, twice. Reports were made from Youtube comments but they were unable to pin it on him. He deleted the one Youtube comment about shooting up a school.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file