Question on "The Crown."

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 1,763 Senior Member
first off, a very enjoyable show. I binged-watched the whole thing.

So, in 1936, Stanley Baldwin, then-Prime Minister, goes to Edward VIII and tells him, that as head of the Anglican Church, the King cannot marry a divorcee whose husbands are still alive. So he abdicates, and there's a whole subplot around him and whatnot in the series. In fact, the Queen's sister cannot marry a divorced man for the same reason.

But doesn't that strike you as odd? Why do you even have an Anglican Church if you can't get rid of your pesky wives?

I'm just asking questions here.

Replies

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    The Church of England wasn't founded so Henry VIII could divorce Catherine of Aragon. It was founded because the Pope wouldn't grant him an annulment.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,349 Senior Member
    Ha ha! Love it!
    BTW, my wife watched the Crown. Loved it too. I watched 15 minutes of one episode and was contemplating how fun it would be to paint the house instead of continuing to watch. Well done show but not for me.

Anyone watch Deadwood? It is now free on Amazon prime.
    Btw sherb, Prince Charles couldn't marry Camilla Bowles as long as Diana was alive.

However, this entire rule was done away with in 2015 which is why Prince Harry is now happily betrothed to an American divorcee.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,566 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    BTW, my wife watched the Crown. Loved it too. I watched 15 minutes of one episode and was contemplating how fun it would be to paint the house instead of continuing to watch. Well done show but not for me.

Anyone watch Deadwood? It is now free on Amazon prime.
    On the topic of pesky wives. My wife and I watched the Crown but I can't get her to watch Deadwood OR Westworld!

Watched the docudrama Ride the Thunder last night on Prime and I couldn't sleep afterwards. Poor acting, but the story was good and it really turned my thoughts on that war upside down. Seeing the clips of Fonda and Sutherland was disgusting. It didn't paint John Kerry in a very good light either.

A look at Vietnam from the perspectives of a U.S. Marine adviser, and a Vietnamese Marine who was left behind.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3748718/
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,763 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    The Church of England wasn't founded so Henry VIII could divorce Catherine of Aragon. It was founded because the Pope wouldn't grant him an annulment.

Thanks Professor. I'm sure Thomas More noted this distinction and Henry thanked him for it.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,763 Senior Member
    Btw sherb, Prince Charles couldn't marry Camilla Bowles as long as Diana was alive.

However, this entire rule was done away with in 2015 which is why Prince Harry is now happily betrothed to an American divorcee.

Now that I didn't know. Wallis Simpson cries out for justice from beyond the grave.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,465 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Now that I didn't know. Wallis Simpson cries out for justice from beyond the grave.

One day she might just goose-step right out of the grave and join the Zombie SS. :)
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Is that why Obama had her killed?
    Everybody knows it was Elton John. Diana was going to out him as a straight cis-male.
    sherb wrote: »
    Thanks Professor. I'm sure Thomas More noted this distinction and Henry thanked him for it.

Here, fixed this for you.

"Why do you even have an Anglican Church if you can't get rid of your pesky wife because she was married to your dead brother?"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file