Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,376 Senior Member
    For a person who doesn't pay attention except for the evening local news broadcast you sure are adept at finding any nugget of information to fit your strange fixation on perceived snowflakism.

I wonder how much "news" information one would have to consume to be abreast of all these developments in the world of snowflakes? Are you really a rabid consumer of alt-right "news" stories or just a younger version of the cranky uncle who forwards chain e-mails full of drivel?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,100 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    For a person who doesn't pay attention except for the evening local news broadcast you sure are adept at finding any nugget of information to fit your strange fixation on perceived snowflakism.

Don't have to go searching for it when it shows up in my Facebook feed posted by a friend.

Perceived? Oh hell no...It's real. Maybe you don't get out enough to see it in the real world or maybe it's not prevalent in Utah.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Man's entire world-view informed by Facebook. Film at 11.

Honestly I'm surprised you find many snowflakes on the flat bike trails and at your place of employment, "Boot Straps R Us Engineering and Design."

;)
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,687 Senior Member
    Don't have to go searching for it when it shows up in my Facebook feed posted by a friend.

I've heard of this.....It's the right wing circle jerk

Ya pass on the message from the mothership---then you win $1.50
    Bushart wrote: »
    I've heard of this.....It's the right wing circle jerk

Ya pass on the message from the mothership---then you win $1.50

Hey, man, get it right! It's $1.50 per paycheck. That's 'Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous' stuff right there!
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,687 Senior Member
    Apologies...Now I'm A paid up Costco member...I'm a rung up da ladder....success must have gots to ma head
    Man's entire world-view informed by Facebook. Film at 11.

Honestly I'm surprised you find many snowflakes on the flat bike trails and at your place of employment, "Boot Straps R Us Engineering and Design."

;)
    No snowflakes where I work or the fat bike trails.

But that behavior does exist. World view not informed by Facebook but actually what I see going on in the real world around me.

Seriously....what the hell? Wahhh my job as a grocery stocker is so hard I'm going to cry and I need my blankey.

These snowflakes have no idea what job stress is.

Maybe you work too many hours and don't get out enough to see these things? Eyes wide shut....

I suppose you can see anything you like if you go looking for it enough.
    Seriously, Joe, you have the worst case of "Get off my lawn" I've ever seen in a man of your age. What are you going to be like in your 70's???
    Get off my lawn Shawn! 😉

Don't really have to go looking for it. It's all in plain site if you pay attention.

But seriously though....The horror of it all right?

Asking an employee to put a product in its designated spot on the shelf...surely the makings of something to cry about.

And if restocking shelves is causing them to break out in tears then maybe they need to find a better find a way to deal with it and work extra hard to keep that job. Because the type of person who would cry over something like that is the type of person who's professional climax will be no greater than stocking shelves or handing out carts at Walmart.

But why worry about it? It isn't a news story. It's click-bait **** to fire you up over a non-issue. Are those people ****? Hell yes, but it isn't like **** were invented the day Obama was elected.
    That's the thing. I don't worry about it, but find it rather sad and sometimes amusing the shift we've had with the younger generation the past 10 years or so turning into a bunch of ****.

As someone in his mid 40s I'm not very far removed from the generation entering the work force the past 20 years, so I'm not at the get off my lawn stage yet.

These snowflakes grow up being brainwashed with a sense of entitlement and a hatred of capitalism. Then they enter the real world where entitlement doesn't exist, capitalism shows no mercy and they cant cope. Kind of sad if you ask me.

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 834 Senior Member
    That's the thing. I don't worry about it, but find it rather sad and sometimes amusing the shift we've had with the younger generation the past 10 years or so turning into a bunch of ****.

As someone in his mid 40s I'm not very far removed from the generation entering the work force the past 20 years, so I'm not at the get off my lawn stage yet.

These snowflakes grow up being brainwashed with a sense of entitlement and a hatred of capitalism. Then they enter the real world where entitlement doesn't exist, capitalism shows no mercy and they cant cope. Kind of sad if you ask me.

Funny, I reared four of your 'snowflakes:' one is a highly respected software engineer; one manages the warehouse for a major music and book chain in Northern New England; one has taught at the Middle-School level for twenty-one years and is a successful and well-noted artist here in Maine; the fourth just paid off her student loans and is headed to seminary as a doctoral candidate in religious studies. I've seen damned few tears, a lot of hard work, and a whole lot of coping.

As far as the Whole Foods situation is concerned, Would you like to work for an organization which has superiors measuring shelf space to the square inch and grading you on its 'proper' use? Maybe you've been lucky enough in your career to evade world-class 'user' managers and Byzantine corporate edicts, but a damned lot of us didn't have the opportunity. I can remember times forty years ago that I spent twenty minutes or more a day kicking empty boxes behind a data center to keep from literally going postal; it goes on, it's been going on forever, and those at the bottom of the food chain (either employees or low-level managers) get to absorb it. Remember, **** runs downhill, and when you're neck-deep in ****, it's damned easy to break down.

Jim
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,340 Senior Member

I wonder how much "news" information one would have to consume to be abreast of all these developments in the world of snowflakes? Are you really a rabid consumer of alt-right "news" stories or just a younger version of the cranky uncle who forwards chain e-mails full of drivel?

I would say is fixation is a form of snowflakism. He spends all day trying to find news that offends him.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    magalloway wrote: »
    Funny, I reared four of your 'snowflakes:' one is a highly respected software engineer; one manages the warehouse for a major music and book chain in Northern New England; one has taught at the Middle-School level for twenty-one years and is a successful and well-noted artist here in Maine; the fourth just paid off her student loans and is headed to seminary as a doctoral candidate in religious studies. I've seen damned few tears, a lot of hard work, and a whole lot of coping.

As far as the Whole Foods situation is concerned, Would you like to work for an organization which has superiors measuring shelf space to the square inch and grading you on its 'proper' use? Maybe you've been lucky enough in your career to evade world-class 'user' managers and Byzantine corporate edicts, but a damned lot of us didn't have the opportunity. I can remember times forty years ago that I spent twenty minutes or more a day kicking empty boxes behind a data center to keep from literally going postal; it goes on, it's been going on forever, and those at the bottom of the food chain (either employees or low-level managers) get to absorb it. Remember, **** runs downhill, and when you're neck-deep in ****, it's damned easy to break down.

Jim
    It definitely doesn't apply to everyone. But it seems to be a thing that's a lot more prevent today than it was years ago.

I've raised 2 kids also that are hard workers. They are currently managers of banks and climbing the ladder.

He spends all day trying to find news that offends him.

Apparently you didn't read this thread very thoroughly.

If you did, you would know your statement isn't true.

I am getting that from every thread you post.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Thanks for proving my point
    Lol. Just because I have stuff like this that randomly show up in my online feeds doesn't mean I go searching for it.

Nothing was proved. You crack me up sometimes.

How do you think this stuff ends up in your online feed? Hint it is called your search history.
    How do you think this stuff ends up in your online feed? Hint it is called your search history.

As I posted earlier if you were paying attention. Friends and friends of friends share this stuff on Facebook. Nothing to do with my search history.

ding ****...
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,778 Senior Member
    Its actually rather remarkable that the ideological sorting that occurs everywhere else hasn't occurred on the board here. I wonder why that is.
    Stockholm Syndrome?
    In grand Trumpian tradition, I hereby rename NZindicator “Snowflake Joe.”
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    But why worry about it? It isn't a news story. It's click-bait **** to fire you up over a non-issue. Are those people ****? Hell yes, but it isn't like **** were invented the day Obama was elected.

When did people start wearing bike helmets? That was the day **** were invented.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,480 Senior Member
    Bike helmets protect one's perfectly gelled and coifed hair from those nasty old elements.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,645 Senior Member
    Joe,

Ever consider that this isn't new? It may not even be more common today. We are bombarded by news that we didn't get a decade or so ago. We used get the local news and little national news. These days, if somebody in Siberia has the sniffles, it's on the net.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    FishTX wrote: »
    Joe,

Ever consider that this isn't new?

But it is new. Ever consider that? As described and defined in the links I posted earlier.

In the wake of the recent presidential election, colleges provided safe spaces and counseling services for students “traumatized” by the result. For example, at the University of Massachusetts Boston, students were invited to a “Coping and Balance” workshop to play with “Doggo, the therapy dog.

Meanwhile, many North Carolina universities were holding final exam “relaxation” events. At UNC-Asheville, UNC-Wilmington, and UNC-Charlotte, students weregiven opportunities to de-stress by filling-in “adult” coloring books. East Carolina University and NC State University students could play with puppies, and UNC-Chapel Hill offered therapy cats and mini horses.

These cases seem to embody a problem identified last year by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt in an Atlantic story titled “The Coddling of the American Mind.” The authors argued that campus culture “presumes an extraordinary fragility of the collegiate psyche, and therefore elevates the goal of protecting students from psychological harm.”

Seriously FishTX? Can you think of any time in your lifetime where people were traumatized by a presidential election and needed a coping and balance workshop?

Warning...long article...

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,251 Senior Member
    If you think folks weren't traumatized by a Presidential election you weren't around a college campus when W. got elected the first time, or a retirement center or the Villages when Obama won.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file