Time to re-up my annual rant against the State of the Union

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 1,771 Senior Member
The annual State of the Union pageant is a hideous, dispiriting, ugly, monotonous, un-American, un-republican, anti-democratic, dreary, backward, monarchical, retch-inducing, depressing, shameful, crypto-imperial display of official self-aggrandizement and piteous toadying, a black Mass during which every unholy order of teacup totalitarian and cringing courtier gathers under the towering dome of a faux-Roman temple to listen to a speech with no content given by a man with no content, to rise and to be seated as is called for by the order of worship — it is a wonder they have not started genuflecting — with one wretched representative of their number squirreled away in some well-upholstered Washington hidey-hole in order to preserve the illusion that those gathered constitute a special class of humanity without whom we could not live.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/369607/great-caesars-ghost-kevin-d-williamson

Just email the **** thing to the speaker's office and be done with it.

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,251 Senior Member
    Libs like you didn't have a problem when Clinton and Obama did it!
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,771 Senior Member
    Libs like you didn't have a problem when Clinton and Obama did it!

Ha.

It's slightly embarrassing to me that St. Ronnie started the practice of bringing in the heroic everyman, which is now a staple of the speech, used by both sides. Ugh. "My God! Why hast thou forsaken me?"

Worse: the opposition response is a career killer. Remember Bobby Jindal? But the Dems went with a fresh look for this year. . .a Kennedy.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,251 Senior Member
    So... not a fan of Woodrow Wilson? He's the one who re-established the tradition of appearing in front of Congress after Thomas Jefferson abandoned the practice and just sent a letter.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    But the Dems went with a fresh look for this year. . .a Kennedy.

Chelsea must have been busy.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,644 Senior Member
    How do feel about trump's campaign website steaming the speech? If you are a campaign donor, your name will scroll across the screen during the speech.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    FishTX wrote: »
    How do feel about trump's campaign website streaming the speech? If you are a campaign donor, your name will scroll across the screen during the speech.

I think it makes something that's already horrible even worse. And I honestly didn't think it could get worse.

But . . . if there's a central conservative insight, its that things can ALWAYS be worse.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,547 Senior Member
    I think it makes something that's already horrible even worse. And I honestly didn't think it could get worse.

That's how I felt about the Grammys this year.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,644 Senior Member
    And I honestly didn't think it could get worse.
    With Trump, I am going with it can always get worse.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,574 Senior Member
    swizz wrote: »
    That's how I felt about the Grammys this year.
    Well,,, just wait till the halftime show. Go Eagles.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,809 Senior Member
    Nancy stretch Pelosi is having the time of her life.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,471 Senior Member
    This one was worse than the last few, which themselves were vile.

And thanks, Sherb, for owning-up to who started the side show, although Dems were quick to jump on the Circus Wagon.

Re the Young Kennedy: Let's just say he lacks some of the oratory talent of Grandpa and Great Uncle Jack. If this is the best the Dems can do the GOPoT can rest easy in 2020.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Chelsea must have been busy.

And so was Michele. And Oprah. Odd.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,362 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    This one was worse than the last few, which themselves were vile.

And thanks, Sherb, for owning-up to who started the side show, although Dems were quick to jump on the Circus Wagon.

Re the Young Kennedy: Let's just say he lacks some of the oratory talent of Grandpa and Great Uncle Jack. If this is the best the Dems can do the GOPoT can rest easy in 2020.

Nah. No way that anyone with any near-term political aspirations is going to take that job. If and when Kennedy is ready for the big time his speech will be long forgotten. Either that or the leadership realizes he never will be more than a functionary.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,583 Senior Member
    6333fbd99634c63688f3bfee17cdad3b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Labor unions are super-PACs. Labor unions are super-PACs Democrats like so we don’t go after labor unions .”
    -Howard Screamin Dean
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,362 Senior Member
    Ok, that is freakin' hilarious!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file