"The Useful Idiocy of Donald Trump"

EdBEdB Senior MemberPosts: 2,833 Senior Member
Chris hedges offers an opinion piece explaining Trump and the reasons he is still President.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/48681.htm

January 28, 2018 "Information Clearing House" - The problem with Donald Trump is not that he is imbecilic and inept—it is that he has surrendered total power to the oligarchic and military elites. They get what they want. They do what they want. Although the president is a one-man wrecking crew aimed at democratic norms and institutions, although he has turned the United States into a laughingstock around the globe, our national crisis is embodied not in Trump but the corporate state’s now unfettered pillage.

Trump, who has no inclination or ability to govern, has handed the machinery of government over to the bankers, corporate executives, right-wing think tanks, intelligence chiefs and generals. They are eradicating the few regulations and laws that inhibited a naked kleptocracy. They are dynamiting the institutions, including the State Department, that served interests other than corporate profit and are stacking the courts with right-wing, corporate-controlled ideologues. Trump provides the daily entertainment; the elites handle the business of looting, exploiting and destroying.

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,580 Senior Member
    EdB wrote: »
    Chris hedges offers an opinion piece explaining Trump and the reasons he is still President.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/48681.htm

January 28, 2018 "Information Clearing House" - The problem with Donald Trump is not that he is imbecilic and inept—it is that he has surrendered total power to the oligarchic and military elites. They get what they want. They do what they want. Although the president is a one-man wrecking crew aimed at democratic norms and institutions, although he has turned the United States into a laughingstock around the globe, our national crisis is embodied not in Trump but the corporate state’s now unfettered pillage.

Trump, who has no inclination or ability to govern, has handed the machinery of government over to the bankers, corporate executives, right-wing think tanks, intelligence chiefs and generals. They are eradicating the few regulations and laws that inhibited a naked kleptocracy. They are dynamiting the institutions, including the State Department, that served interests other than corporate profit and are stacking the courts with right-wing, corporate-controlled ideologues. Trump provides the daily entertainment; the elites handle the business of looting, exploiting and destroying.

One could also argue that the globalist agenda was/is a global scale movement towards global kleptocracy. Just a thought...
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,833 Senior Member
    Agreed, the elder Bush's "new world order" is indicative of the world elite (headed by the U.S.) kleptocracy.
    MAGA is hardly a globalists slogan. Just sayin.
    True but it is just a slogan. As long as it doesn't interfere with the global elite's global kleptocracy behind the scene, MAGA will continue to be the Trump slogan.
    People aren't as stupid as the people who write this trash assume. The people who voted, voted against a globalist candidate with a dirty history of exactly what the author is describing .
    Right, they thought Trump would be different than Hillary and the rest of the elite. As the author suggests, Trump has capitulated to the corporate and militaristic elite. The people also thought Obama would be different and not continue our perpetual war foreign policy, they were wrong about him also. Presidents are essentially figureheads for the elite in this society.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,766 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    MAGA is hardly a globalists slogan. Just sayin.

You mean

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

That's so clever. Hats off to the genius who invented calling everyone they disagree a moron. I bet they were heroes on their debate team.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,766 Senior Member
    Man, you guys really lose your sense of humor when its your guy.

Just think, he's not being called a Muslim, or a Gorilla, or a Kenyan he's just being called a moron.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,348 Senior Member
    That's so clever. Hats off to the genius who invented calling everyone they disagree a moron. I bet they were heroes on their debate team.

You voted for one of them.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    You voted for one of them.
    Touche. He does hit back.
    He argues like an illiterate 7th grader, he demeans the office and should embarrass us all, but he is a Republican, so you love him.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,251 Senior Member
    Minor point, but , I don't think that the POTUS "invented" name-calling or calling folks morons. I don't think he's that inventive.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    He argues like an illiterate 7th grader, he demeans the office and should embarrass us all, but he is a Republican, so you love him.

Republican David Frum from "The Atlantic" claims that Trump uses the fact Americans hate each other---so he does not look to fix problems just ignite his side and they'll rally no matter what it is
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    Bushart wrote: »
    Republican David Frum from "The Atlantic" claims that Trump uses the fact Americans hate each other---so he does not look to fix problems just ignite his side and they'll rally no matter what it is

As a thesis, this fails in the face of the DACA compromise plan Trump proposed.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    Crude, rude, vulgar, etc...for sure.

But #NeverTrump really needs to come up with a cohesive narrative. Does he have the intellect of a 7th grader or is he an evil genius? He can't be both.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,785 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »

But #NeverTrump really needs to come up with a cohesive narrative. Does he have the intellect of a 7th grader or is he an evil genius? He can't be both.

Agreed, He can't be both a malevolent **** and a bumbling idiot. Those things don't go together.

The fact is he doesn't have an ideology. He wants to be liked. Say nice things about him, and he'll say nice things about you. McConnell/Ryan should have figured that out by now. Maybe they can pass some legislation.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,547 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »

The fact is he doesn't have an ideology.
    He preaches "America first". I can accept that as an "ideology". Fine with that.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
    Bushart wrote: »

Typical media bigoted propaganda ****. One day I'll have to explain to my grand kids that there used to be real news, based on actual factual information. Opinions were just that. Opinions.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,251 Senior Member
    Frum's a commentator. By definition and job description they share their opinions based on the news. It's the lower percentile voters who can't tell an opinion piece from a news article.
    Frum's a commentator. By definition and job description they share their opinions based on the news. It's the lower percentile voters who can't tell an opinion piece from a news article.

At least that's how it used to be. The water's a lot more muddy now that the left media machines are all frothing at the mouth from Trump derangement syndrome. On my way home yesterday I listened to CNN explain how Trump was responsible for McCabe's departure from the FBI and how that meant Mueller and Rosenstein are next.

The point could be made that CNN is no longer a news channel I suppose.
    At least that's how it used to be. The water's a lot more muddy now that the left media machines are all frothing at the mouth from Trump derangement syndrome. On my way home yesterday I listened to CNN explain how Trump was responsible for McCabe's departure from the FBI and how that meant Mueller and Rosenstein are next.

The point could be made that CNN is no longer a news channel I suppose.

Frum worked for Dubya. He coined the term "axis of evil." He might be a lot of things, but he ain't part of the left media machine.

Frum thinks Trump presents a unique threat to democratic norms. Maybe. I'm not convinced. It is eye-opening, though, how much the maintenance of those norms depends on the ability of a person to be shamed. Trump can't be shamed, and thus can't be constrained by the usual restraints on his behavior.
    The flip side of this is that the libs are pulling out all the stops and are becoming unhinged. And its not a good look for them. Especially with regard to the judiciary.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/why-we-cant-have-real-conversations-ross-douthat-immigration/

http://theweek.com/articles/751617/liberals-have-lost-minds-over-immigration
    Frum worked for Dubya. He coined the term "axis of evil." He might be a lot of things, but he ain't part of the left media machine.

Frum thinks Trump presents a unique threat to democratic norms. Maybe. I'm not convinced. It is eye-opening, though, how much the maintenance of those norms depends on the ability of a person to be shamed. Trump can't be shamed, and thus can't be constrained by the usual restraints on his behavior.

I assumed all knew he worked for Dubya?

He's been making the circuit flogging his book "Trumpocracy"---guess he's not afraid of liable as he consistently says Trump is receiving Millions of dollars from overseas partners as he sits in the WH as prez
    Agreed, He can't be both a malevolent **** and a bumbling idiot. Those things don't go together.

The fact is he doesn't have an ideology. He wants to be liked. Say nice things about him, and he'll say nice things about you. McConnell/Ryan should have figured that out by now. Maybe they can pass some legislation.

I don't know him. My comment was directed at the premise that Trump voters were are too ignorant to form their own opinion so they wait for him to tell them what to rally behind. I think it's actually quite the opposite. Despite the DNC, the non stop media, the GOP, basically the entire world, telling them who to rally behind. Or who not to. They decided they'd had enough of being told. They went with the guy who wasn't afraid to fight back. The non establishment guy. The one without the baggage of billions owed to special interest groups. The one who promised to put this country's needs above all others. The outlier.

On the other hand there was a career candidate (and her husband) also surrounded by controversy, after controversy. Bernie Sanders, Uranium one, classified email on private servers, Dedebate questions shared by Donna Brazile, foundation donations, Podesta emails, private lynch and Clinton meeting, Sexual misconduct by her husband in the oval office while he was president, etc, etc. Yet the left rallied behind her as if she was snow white.

So,, who's really rallying behind who the establishment decides is king? I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Trump voters.
    I don't know him. My comment was directed at the premise that Trump voters were are too ignorant to form their own opinion so they wait for him to tell them what to rally behind. I think it's actually quite the opposite. Despite the DNC, the non stop media, the GOP, basically the entire world, telling them who to rally behind. Or who not to. They decided they'd had enough of being told. They went with the guy who wasn't afraid to fight back. The non establishment guy. The one without the baggage of billions owed to special interest groups

Very good grasshopper....never be ashamed to play the victim card (PS Trump owes special interest groups....see moving embassy to Jerusalem)
    Minor point, but , I don't think that the POTUS "invented" name-calling or calling folks morons. I don't think he's that inventive.

Perhaps, but I don't recall such vulgarity coming from a White House before.
    Steven wrote: »
    As a thesis, this fails in the face of the DACA compromise plan Trump proposed.

Wait till Stephan Miller gets a look at it. It will never happen.

Two words, Ernst Rohm

That is why I think that if North Korea wants nukes all they have to do is throw him a parade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file