More public land sold for pennies on the dollar.

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 2,462 Senior Member
Never mind the statue issue, how was this even legal? It's very short sighted.

MEMPHIS — The city of Memphis sold two public parks containing Confederate monuments to a non-profit Wednesday in a massive, months-in-the-planning operation to take the statues down overnight Wednesday.

The City Council unanimously approved the sale of Health Science Park, home of Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, and its easement on Fourth Bluff Park, home of Confederate President Jefferson Davis, for $1,000 each to Memphis Greenspace Inc.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/12/20/memphis-confederate-statues-removal/971882001/

Comments

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Interesting loop hole they made. I wonder who's going to maintain the parks now that they don't belong to the city.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    A few years ago Hanover, PA sold a few square feet of land in a public park to a civic organization in order not to remove a monument inscribed with the Ten Commandments from public land. I'm sure this technique is a common practice.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,533 Senior Member
    "More public land sold for pennies on the dollar."
    This is misleading. It is not "public land". It is/was private property owned by the City. The City allowed "public use", but the public never had "ownership" of that land. The City (as owner) may restrict, regulate, or even disallow public use as they see fit. They may also sell their property. The new owners have the same rights as property owners.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,462 Senior Member
    swizz wrote: »
    "More public land sold for pennies on the dollar."
    This is misleading. It is not "public land". It is/was private property owned by the City. The City allowed "public use", but the public never had "ownership" of that land. The City (as owner) may restrict, regulate, or even disallow public use as they see fit. They may also sell their property. The new owners have the same rights as property owners.

I don't agree. The city is there because the people pay for it to exist. We own city hall, city hall doesn't own us. I would think there would be some sort of legal requirements to sell off a city park. Not just forming a LLC and voting to sell city property to yourself for an outrageously good deal. Hell, if that's legal, expect to see the whole city sold soon.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,201 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    A few years ago Hanover, PA sold a few square feet of land in a public park to a civic organization in order not to remove a monument inscribed with the Ten Commandments from public land. I'm sure this technique is a common practice.

In Rubidoux California, they sold a parcel of a public park to a private partnership in order to keep a controversial cross from being removed.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    In Rubidoux California, they sold a parcel of a public park to a private partnership in order to keep a controversial cross from being removed.

Bypassing the legal system where public property and monuments is wrong and I still don't understand how this can stand. It opens the door to all kinds of abuse.
    A City Park is private property of the City. No legal system is bypassed. The End.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Swizz is right, the city can buy, sell or trade land as it sees fit. As long as the council buys into it. The city here just traded a prime piece of undeveloped land to a developer for a POS piece of land. The stipulation was that he must build a certain number of houses that will be low income. The land they got in return can only be open space because of the water table.
    In my mind it was a horrible trade because they paid a bundle for that land and gave it away. The developer on the other hand is getting rich from the trade. He's probably the mayor's brother in law.
    A City Park is private property of the City. No legal system is bypassed. The End.

The Tennessee Historical Commission doesn't agree either. Bye bye historical monuments, etc, that aren't PC, and none of them are.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member
    If only people weren't offended by statues...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    If only people weren't offended by statues...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well in all fairness there's really nothing else to worry about in the city of Memphis. It's a model city where the only thing that could make it a better, safer, place, is to remove some historical monuments. Good Call City Council. Good call.
    There should be a special City. One owned by statues where only statues can live, in peace.
    ... except for the new Marion Barry statue, that should be our national monument.
    There should be a special City. One owned by statues where only statues can live, in peace.
    ... except for the new Marion Barry statue, that should be our national monument.

ca0ed0-20150623-bunyan12.jpg
    NO, Bunyan freaks me out!
    ... can we PLEASE replace that hideous giant sitting Lincoln at the Lincoln Memorial with a kneeling Kaepernick?
    MikeA wrote: »
    Bypassing the legal system where public property and monuments is wrong and I still don't understand how this can stand. It opens the door to all kinds of abuse.

In this case, were it not done that cross would have been removed.

I think you would be more concerned with the Uranium mining that is about to take place in Bear's Ear and the destruction of Bristol Bay. Or this about removing the statue of the founder of the KKK?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

I think you would be more concerned with the Uranium mining that is about to take place in Bear's Ear
    Need that to replace what Hillary sold to Putin.
    In this case, were it not done that cross would have been removed.

I think you would be more concerned with the Uranium mining that is about to take place in Bear's Ear and the destruction of Bristol Bay. Or this about removing the statue of the founder of the KKK?

Turns out I am concerned about that land. That and the net neutrality were really sad days for this admin.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member
    Need that to replace what Hillary sold to Putin.

haha-funny-emoticon-facebook.png
    nudge nudge, wink wink

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file