If Rubio gets this child tax credit thing done

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,665 Senior Member
    The bait was strong in this thread.

More chum.

Walmart (WMT), the nation’s largest employer, will let over a million of its employees share in the benefits of the largest sweeping tax reform in three decades.

The retailer is boosting starting hourly wages to $11 an hour. Additionally, the retailer will give one-time $1,000 bonus payments to workers, depending on length of service at the company. It is also extending maternity and parental benefits. The changes take place in February.
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2018/01/11/walmart-boosts-pay-for-one-million-u-s-workers-tax-reform-is-reason-why.html
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,413 Senior Member
    The bonus goes to employees that have been with the company for over 20 years.

They did give a similar raise previously without a tax bill. But hey, credit where credit is due. Would this be happening without a low unemployment rate?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,064 Senior Member
    No way of knowing.
    But this is just another example of a whole slew of announcements.

Corporations don't pay taxes. Employees, shareholders and customers pay taxes.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,254 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »

You mind if I borrow this quote to start another thread?
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member

But, Corporations are.... People......... Why do I have to pay taxes while these PEOPLE don't! :confused:
    You mind if I borrow this quote to start another thread?

I'm not the first to ever say it.
    I'm not the first to ever say it.
    I know, but I'm going to reference you....
    If you want to post something contradictory, just keep it here.
    Oh no, this is about a separate subject.

Ya know, you're from Chicago, I'm from the South. What do I care?:p
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,582 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    But, Corporations are.... People......... Why do I have to pay taxes while these PEOPLE don't! :confused:

I'm confused too.

And so is Bill Moyers, who famously said "I'll believe that corporations are people whenTexas executes one."
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    Walmart to raise its starting wage to $11, give some employees bonuses following tax bill passage

•Walmart is increasing its starting wage rate for hourly employees in the U.S. to $11, following the passage of new tax legislation.
    •The company said it will also expand maternity and parental leave benefits, and provide a one-time cash bonus for eligible employees of as much as $1,000.
    •Walmart said it's still accessing other "potential additional investments" that could come after the new tax laws.

Wow, now Walmart joins Target in being one whole U.S. dime higher than the median hourly wage for retail sales workers. It's nice that they are doing it, but what does it say about what they pay their non-management employees? They're also closing 63 Sam's Clubs, although some of those employees will be transferred or re-hired as warehouse distribution staff.
    George K wrote: »
    I'm confused too.

And so is Bill Moyers, who famously said "I'll believe that corporations are people whenTexas executes one."

Corporate execution tends to be federal. Example A: Arthur Andersen
    Wow, now Walmart joins Target in being one whole U.S. dime higher than the median hourly wage for retail sales workers. It's nice that they are doing it, but what does it say about what they pay their non-management employees?

Doesn't say anything. Models are very different. We've had this discussion before, e.g. Wal Mart versus Home Depot.
    Doesn't say anything. Models are very different. We've had this discussion before, e.g. Wal Mart versus Home Depot.

You and I, and I suspect most others on this board can have this discussion with a sense of detachment, because we are not about to have our wages rise from $9 to $11 per hour. Can you imagine trying to support your family on that?
    http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1
    Walmart is abruptly closing 63 Sam's Club locations across the US, the company told Business Insider on Thursday. Some stores have already closed; others will close within weeks.
    Many employees were not informed of the closings ahead of time.
    Ten of the closed stores will be turned into e-commerce distribution centers.

Sam's Club has not said how many employees are losing their jobs. Each Sam's Club warehouse employs about 175 people, meaning more than 11,000 people could be impacted.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,821 Senior Member
    You and I, and I suspect most others on this board can have this discussion with a sense of detachment, because we are not about to have our wages rise from $9 to $11 per hour. Can you imagine trying to support your family on that?

A $9 to $11 dollar an hour job was never meant to raise a family on. One needs a marketable skill to sell.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    Buford's exactly right. If an adult is trying to support a family at $9-$11 an hour, it's a failure - but shouldn't be laid at Wal Mart's doorstep
    So they deserve to be poor and once the Republicans cut the SNAP program, they will deserve to go hungry. And the Waltons, who did little more than be born into the right family deserve to be billionaires.
    Yawn....

Who said I placed the blame on the person?
    So who does get the blame and what do you think should be done about it?
    Lots of blame to spread around. Beats me how to fix it. Probably starts with education.

What I do know is trying to say it's the fault of greedy bastards at Wal Mart is nonsense.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,439 Senior Member
    Education? We can’t afford education! Mr. Hedge Fund needs a new private jet. And yes I know you think this comment is inane but how are people to seek out educational opportunities when they are harder to find and pay for?

#MASA
    This comment is inane.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,156 Senior Member
    So blame society and corporations because someone is poor?

K-12 is free. Then get loans and get a better education and pay it off later if you don't want to work for $9-$11

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    It's pretty simple.

I recognize that an African American kid born in the Southwest Side of Chicago has the cards stacked against him. Is it society? Maybe. Is it the education system? Maybe. Is it the welfare system? Maybe. Poor parenting? Maybe. Fluoride in the water? (Comic will get this) Maybe.

But it ain't Wal Mart paying $10 an hour. Something failed somewhere - which is why a grown **** adult trying to support a family is making $10 an hour.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,665 Senior Member
    I personally think the blame mentality is the reason for much of the problem. It’s the President’s fault, it’s a racial issue, it’s a class issue, it’s a gender issue. The issue is the belief that your future, of lack of one, is controlled by anyone other than YOU. Like Sherb, I’ve know some people who came here from some REAL shitholes, with everything against them, ie religion, race, culture, class, etc. They worked harder, more hours, didn’t complain, and made the American dream a reality for them and their family. It’s out there, if you’re willing to work for it.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 945 Senior Member
    So they deserve to be poor and once the Republicans cut the SNAP program, they will deserve to go hungry. And the Waltons, who did little more than be born into the right family deserve to be billionaires.

Ummm, yeah. We held off having kids until we knew we could afford it. That's not rocket science there. So if you can't afford a family, don't have one. As far as the Waltons, if you're born into a rich family, that's the luck of the draw. If you're born into a poor family, then you need have some common sense to NOT make the situation worse.
    It's pretty simple.

I recognize that an African American kid born in the Southwest Side of Chicago has the cards stacked against him. Is it society? Maybe. Is it the education system? Maybe. Is it the welfare system? Maybe. Poor parenting? Maybe. Fluoride in the water? (Comic will get this) Maybe.

But it ain't Wal Mart paying $10 an hour. Something failed somewhere - which is why a grown **** adult trying to support a family is making $10 an hour.

Well since this is supposed to be a training wage for kids, who is supposed to work there during the school day?
    Lots of blame to spread around. Beats me how to fix it. Probably starts with education.

What I do know is trying to say it's the fault of greedy bastards at Wal Mart is nonsense.

So this increase is going to cost Walmart $300 million. How much of a tax cut did they get again?
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    So blame society and corporations because someone is poor?
    K-12 is free. Then get loans and get a better education and pay it off later if you don't want to work for $9-$11
    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tuition in colleges has gone way up largely because of a lack of government funding, leading students to saddle themselves with huge loans. Many are choosing not to attend and maybe sell dope instead (free market economics). In a previous time, America more efficiently utilized technical talent by keeping tuition low. The present system is a sop to the banks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file