Conservative judges - check
Corporate Tax Reform - check
DOL Fiduciary Rule - check
U.S. recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel - check

Thank you President Trump

Comments

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,359 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Conservative judges - (Most of them unfit according to the ABA)
    Corporate Tax Reform - (At the expense of the middle classes and the poor)
    DOL Fiduciary Rule - (That pesky fiduciary rule was put in place after banks were largely responsible for the mortgage scandals leading to the "Great Recession)
    U.S. recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel (And further destabilizes the middle east and making peace between Israel and the Palestinians even more difficult)

Thank you President Trump
    (Thanks indeed)
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,462 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    Corporate Tax Reform - (At the expense of the middle classes and the poor)
    (Thanks indeed)

Suddenly the left is concerned about the middle class. Thanks Trump :)
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,571 Senior Member
    I don't understand how the corporate tax reform somehow hurts the middle class and the poor.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,571 Senior Member
    And the Fiduciary Rule was going to cause people to be dropped. I just barely made it above my investment firms mark, but it was still nerve wracking.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,201 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    Suddenly the left is concerned about the middle class. Thanks Trump :)

And the right has never cared and never will.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Not to mention the write off for corporate jets.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    And the right has never cared and never will.

And that boys and girls is how Trump got elected.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,912 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    (Thanks indeed)

The left wing ABA shouldn't be consulted.
    Corporate taxes are passed through to the middle class and the poor
    The Fiduciary rule has absolutely nothing to do with banks, the mortgage scandal, or the Great Recession. What did your local AG Edwards financial planner do?
    Not recognizing Jerusalem was such a winning strategy. Wait, what?

Not to mention the write off for corporate jets.

I like her. She's completely disengenuous, but I like her.

Edit to add: Try getting out of somewhere like Des Moines for a business trip. Our planes are an absolute business necessity.

Never have and never will.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 613 Senior Member
    Conservative judges who will take the country backwards - check
    Corporate Tax Reform that will add a trillion to the deficit, put us further in hock to the Chinese and burden future generations- check
    DOL Fiduciary Rule that allows your financial adviser to give you "advice" that furthers his/her interests, with no transparency as to how his/her interests are furthered - check
    U.S. recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel even though when Israel was created in 1948 half of Jerusalem was not Israeli and thus there will be an enormous backlash against the US - check
    Yeah they are.
    We've said publicly, so I can write it here, that our expectation is that competition will force us to raise credited interest to policyholder's (basically provide a better deal) on new sales.

If the market prices to a return on capital of 11%-13%, it will still price to that level because somebody is happy with that level of returns and will cut prices (raise credited interest) to gain share at that level. It will force the rest of us to do the same.

The laws of economics are immutable.
    I like her. She's completely disengenuous, but I like her.

Edit to add: Try getting out of somewhere like Des Moines for a business trip. Our planes are an absolute business necessity.

Take a bus.
    U.S. recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel even though when Israel was created in 1948 half of Jerusalem was not Israeli and thus there will be an enormous backlash against the US - check

Israel wasn't created. It was won by Jews led by David Ben Gurion who fought against a number of Arab countries. The U.N. didn't create Israel and it didn't come to Israel's rescue.
    The reason why East Jerusalem wasn't Israeli is because it was captured first by Jordan.
    Recognizing that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel (the Administration position is that it's only recognizing West Jerusalem) doesn't prevent a two-state solution with East Jerusalem as the Palestinian's capital.
    Take a bus.

Sure. Next time I have a business trip to Ankenny.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,626 Senior Member
    Israel wasn't created. It was won by Jews led by David Ben Gurion who fought against a number of Arab countries. The U.N. didn't create Israel and it didn't come to Israel's rescue.
    The reason why East Jerusalem wasn't Israeli is because it was captured first by Jordan.
    Recognizing that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel (the Administration position is that it's only recognizing West Jerusalem) doesn't prevent a two-state solution with East Jerusalem as the Palestinian's capital.

I've read Exodus. In fact I'm re-reading it now. The UN did vote to partition a portion of Palestine into the State of Israel, and then the Arabs invaded. Right? I'm not misremembering that, am I? and I seem to remember that Truman And George Marshall had something of a falling out over it.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,359 Senior Member
    The left wing ABA shouldn't be consulted.
    The Fiduciary rule has absolutely nothing to do with banks, the mortgage scandal, or the Great Recession. What did your local AG Edwards financial planner do?
    Not recognizing Jerusalem was such a winning strategy. Wait, what?

You're right about the Fiduciary rule, I was confusing it with Trump's desire to undo Dodd-Frank.
    You're right, the ABA is somewhat to the left of Paul Manafort and the American **** Party.
    You're dead wrong about pass through/trickle down which has been tried and failed each time.*
    You, Trump and Bibi believe this, the rest of the world does not.

* Here's a good explication of why and when: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2017/11/30/im-a-depression-historian-the-gop-tax-bill-is-straight-out-of-1929/
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Like you and Bibi care about a two state solution.
    Like you and Bibi care about a two state solution.

I care. It's the only way that Israel remains majority Jewish.
    Yeah but how many Palestinians will still be alive before you allow this to happen and how much of Palestine are you willing to give? Is it more than an acre?

It has been over 20 years since this was first proposed and Israel has only built more settlements. Not to mention they have shown no interest in giving over East Jerusalem.
    sherb wrote: »
    I've read Exodus. In fact I'm re-reading it now. The UN did vote to partition a portion of Palestine into the State of Israel, and then the Arabs invaded. Right? I'm not misremembering that, am I? and I seem to remember that Truman And George Marshall had something of a falling out over it.

Yes. The General Assembly voted to recommend partition to the Security Council. The Arabs attacked and the Security Council never got a chance to vote. The USSR was the first nation to recognize Israel on a de facto basis.
    Yeah but how many Palestinians will still be alive before you allow this to happen and how much of Palestine are you willing to give? Is it more than an acre?

It has been over 20 years since this was first proposed and Israel has only built more settlements. Not to mention they have shown no interest in giving over East Jerusalem.

There will be more Palestinians alive then than there are now.

The Israelis have little interest in giving over East Jerusalem, the Palestinians have little interest in giving over Israel. But none of this is affected by moving the embassy to West Jerusalem.
    It takes away our position as an honest broker for peace.
    It takes away our position as an honest broker for peace.

I suspect Trump will somehow use it as leverage, and not actually move it. Just a thought.
    Yeah...that's ****.

It recognizes the reality that, unless the Arabs won it through war, they aren't getting West Jerusalem.
    Maybe it's more honest to deal with that delusion.
    You just said Israel will not give East Jerusalem to them unless they win it through war. Our putting our embassy there supports that position.

Something you have actually been told by someone with experience in this area.
    I just said West Jerusalem.
    post 24
    I didn't say the Palestinians wouldn't get it except by war.
    That will be negotiated. I expect that they will eventually get at least some of it, although not total control of the Temple Mount.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file