Some Netflix Reviews from a Binge Weekend

StevenSteven Senior MemberPosts: 1,912 Senior Member
No women were harassed in the making of this review.

So, spent Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday binge watching (the Bears couldn't be watched).

I finally finished the first season (77 episodes!) of "Resurrection: Ertugrel" (things were desperate when I started). This is the historical fiction story of Ertugrel of the Kayi Tribe of the Seljuk Dynasty - who becomes the father of Osman I, the founder of the Ottoman Empire. As maudlin as a Mexican soap opera. I love it and I'm learning Turkish at the same time. Season 2 is 101 episodes...we'll see if I get to it before "The Crown" comes back.

I finished the final season (Season 6) of "Longmire." Taken from the Longmire series of books, it's a bunch of mysteries and longer running stories solved by the fictional sheriff of Absaroka County, Wyoming. It was actually the most watched show ever on AMC (more so than the Walking Dead), but appealed to the wrong demographic and was canceled after Season 3 but picked up by Netflix. I've enjoyed this show since the first episode (dead man shows up in a river hooked by a parachute Adams).

"Frontier" stars Jason Momoa (Khal Drago) and is about independent trappers going up against the Hudson Bay Company. So far, each season is only six episodes - which is very disappointing since it's so good. If you start now, it's like one entire season.

I'm halfway through "The Punisher." It stars Jon Bernthal as former marine Frank Castle who's family is supposedly killed by a Mexican cartel. It picks up after Castle wipes out the cartel in revenge. It costars the very lovely (and halachically Jewish) Amber Rose Revah and Deborah Ann Woll (Jessica Tandy from True Blood!) makes guest appearances. So far, so good.

Comments

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Longmire is great.
    I was going to binge watch Black Sails on a friends recommendation, but the weather was so nice I got some "wind" therapy every day of the 4 day weekend instead.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,912 Senior Member
    Black Sails is good, but I watched in real time and kind of lost track.
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,533 Senior Member
    My Netflix viewing genre is far different than yours.
    I recently binged all of "Bojack Horseman" and "F is For Family", both adult animated.... loved these and hope they are coming back for more seasons.
    I like good westerns also so might try "Godless".
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,912 Senior Member
    "Godless" will be on the list.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 613 Senior Member
    Longmire is great. Plots are a little thin but I always liked Westerns and it is a modern day Western.

I've seen all of "Black Sails." Lots of pirate sex and intrigue. Hard to keep up on the convoluted plot but very enjoyable. I've been to the Bahamas three times (did some bonefishing, which is a blast) and enjoy the fact it is set there, although in actuality it was filmed in South Africa.

Currently watching Netflix's "Mindhunter," which portrays two FBI agents who are bit players in the Bureau and who invented forensic psychology, i.e, interviewing serial killers to figure out what made them do what they did (it always seems to come down to having an awful mother) in order to have the knowledge to solve pending cases. It is fictionalized and is very good.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,201 Senior Member
    I have to sign up for Netflix, I have a friend that is in The Punisher.

nm1693022.jpg
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Steven wrote: »
    "Godless" will be on the list.

I just finished the series. I'll give it a 4 out of 5. A little slow in the middle but well worth it for the excellent finale.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    Hmmm, Longmire sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to Godless.

Did anyone else watch Mindhunter earlier in the year? So many people hated it (and I understand why) but I absolutely loved it. David Fincher (director, producer) is a strange cat and I have no idea what in the hell he is up to at times but I still enjoyed the hell out of it.
    Longmire is ok, I'm about halfway through season one. Takes place in modern day small town WY & MT. More of a light-hearted detective show or episode oriented murder mystery (like Murder She Wrote) than a western. If I had to describe it I'd say it's like the old Rockford Files series with a touch of Fargo. The lead character is no James Garner but fits the part pretty well. He's the Sheriff but always plays sage lead detective for every episode/case.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,462 Senior Member
    swizz wrote: »
    Longmire is ok, I'm about halfway through season one. Takes place in modern day small town WY & MT. More of a light-hearted detective show or episode oriented murder mystery (like Murder She Wrote) than a western. If I had to describe it I'd say it's like the old Rockford Files series with a touch of Fargo. The lead character is no James Garner but fits the part pretty well. He's the Sheriff but always plays sage lead detective for every episode/case.

I just couldn't get into it for that reason. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

I just finished Turn on netflix. If you guys haven't watched this yet, it's well worth a shot. One of my favorite series yet. Hot chicks, American Revolution, George Washington, plenty of drama and suspense.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file