Enough politics. How about a Book thread!

2»

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,462 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Enough about politics. How about a book thread?

Going to check out Dead Wake next.

On May 1, 1915, a luxury ocean liner as richly appointed as an English country house sailed out of New York, bound for Liverpool, carrying a record number of children and infants. The passengers were anxious. Germany had declared the seas around Britain to be a war zone, and for months its U-boats had brought terror to the North Atlantic. But the Lusitania was one of the era's great transatlantic "Greyhounds", and her captain, William Thomas Turner, placed tremendous faith in the gentlemanly strictures of warfare that for a century had kept civilian ships safe from attack. He knew, moreover, that his ship--the fastest then in service--could outrun any threat.

Germany, however, was determined to change the rules of the game, and Walther Schwieger, the captain of Unterseeboot-20, was happy to oblige. Meanwhile an ultra-secret British intelligence unit tracked Schwieger's U-boat,but told no one. As U-20 and the Lusitania made their ways toward Liverpool, an array of forces both grand and achingly small--hubris, a chance fog, a closely guarded secret, and more--all converged to produce one of the great disasters of history.

It is a story that many of us think we know but don't, and Erik Larson tells it thrillingly, switching between hunter and hunted while painting a larger portrait of America at the height of the Progressive Era. Full of glamour, mystery, and real-life suspense, Dead Wake brings to life a cast of evocative characters, from famed Boston bookseller Charles Lauriat to pioneering female architect Theodate Pope Riddle to President Wilson, a man lost to grief, dreading the widening war but also captivated by the prospect of new love. Gripping and important, Dead Wake captures the sheer drama and emotional power of a disaster that helped place America on the road to war.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,912 Senior Member
    Dead Wake was solid like Larson's other books.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,627 Senior Member
    Enough about politics. How about a book thread?

Alright, alright. fine.

I also read a book called "never split the difference," written by a former FBI hostage negotiator. Some really good info about negotiating that could benefit everyone.

I read a book called "God is not nice" by a theologian named Ulrich Lenner. He's a transplant from Germany. The book is an attempt to combat the therapeutic diesm that threatens the vitality of understanding Christianity as its meant to be understood.

And finally, my favorite, the new Jack Reacher book, "the Midnight line." I don't know why I love that cheeseball **** but I do.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,363 Senior Member
    Phillip Kerr, the English author of the excellent Bernard Gunther mysteries that I am reading my way through in order also wrote a book called "****'s Peace". I enjoyed it and recommend it , especially if you like speculative historical fiction. The ending is either magic realism or communication from beyond the grave - take your pick - but it's still a good read as they say.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    Alright, alright. fine.

I also read a book called "never split the difference," written by a former FBI hostage negotiator. Some really good info about negotiating that could benefit everyone.

Since you liked that one may I recommend "The Art of the Deal?" I can't seem to recall the author...

But seriously, if anybody likes biographies, the Einstein book I finished was truly excellent (see page 1). I'm not a biography reader but this was a fantastic book. I haven't started anything new yet but have 4 or 5 choices on the bookshelf.
    I finished Michael Connelly's latest Harry Bosch novel.
    Working my way through the Balzano and Byrne series by Richard Montanari. Two homicide detectives in Philadelphia.
  • jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    Has Trump weighed in on this thread?

I heard he Just finished his favorite book...Go Kim Go!!!

This is Kim.

Kim is fat.

See Kim eat.

Kim eats lots.

Kim is big.

Here is Kim.

Kim is on his rocket.

Kim is under his rocket.

Look at Kim's rocket.

Kim makes his rocket fly.

Go Kim go!!!

See Kims rocket go boom

Watch Kim glow

Glow Kim Glow
    “Labor unions are super-PACs. Labor unions are super-PACs Democrats like so we don’t go after labor unions .”
    -Howard Screamin Dean
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,462 Senior Member
    Dead Wake was solid like Larson's other books.

I enjoyed Dead Wake so much that I'm reading The Devil in the White City now.
    For many years, I lived across the street from the Museum of Science and Industry - the last remaining white building - and fished in the Jackson Park lagoon.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,363 Senior Member
    MikeA wrote: »
    I enjoyed Dead Wake so much that I'm reading The Devil in the White City now.

That is an excellent book.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file