Enough politics. How about a Book thread!

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 2,579 Senior Member
I'm Currently enjoying.
Beneath a Scarlet Sky. Really awesome book so far!
https://marksullivanbooks.com/beneath-a-scarlet-sky/

And have this one in the queue. I'm pretty excited to get to this one based on the reviews.
Hillbilly Elegy.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27161156-hillbilly-elegylegy.

Replies

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,376 Senior Member
    I'm currently reading "Einstein: His Life and Universe" by Walter Isaacson. Very good thus far!

https://www.amazon.com/Einstein-Life-Universe-Walter-Isaacson/dp/0743264746

I just finished up a few paleoanthropology books that nobody else here is interested in. Other than that I've been reading some first hand account novels of the air war over Vietnam.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 623 Senior Member
    I recently read "Hillbilly Elegy." I highly recommend it. Great book--a young man's memoir of growing up in a dying Ohio factory town in a dysfunctional family that has strong roots in eastern Kentucky. You wouldn't think it would be that interesting but I couldn't put it down. For the most part he's harsh on the hill billy Scots-Irish culture he grew up in but he also illustrates some of the positives of that culture, especially the family clan aspect. While my experience is nothing like the author's it struck a personal cord with me.

Currently reading Ron Chernow's "Hamilton." I'm not that far into it but so far it is excellent.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Reading Patrick McManus. It's nice to laugh at the humour with all the doom and gloom around nowadays..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    If anyone has recommendations for popular science books I would appreciate it. It’s mostly what I read.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    If anyone has recommendations for popular science books I would appreciate it. It’s mostly what I read.

The Disappearing Spoon

https://www.amazon.com/Disappearing-Spoon-Madness-Periodic-Elements/dp/0316051632
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,480 Senior Member
    I bought Berlin Noir after reading a review of Kerr's latest in the series either in the Times or the New Yorker. After finishing the first two novels I'm hooked and will work my way through the rest of the series.

https://www.amazon.com/Berlin-Noir-Violets-Criminal-Requiem/dp/0140231706

Sherb bait: Speaking of the New Yorker, the Halloween issue, the one with Trump as evil clown on the cover has an engrossing long form article on the opioid epidemic, Perdue Pharmaceuticals and the Sackler family and an interesting essay/review of several books released for the 500th anniversary of Luther's 95 Theses.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/30
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Clark SalmoClark Salmo Member Posts: 46 Member
    The Wheel of Time. 11104 pages. Fantasy Messiah story. So far, it's pretty, but I'm only on page 3722.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    John le Carre', A Legacy of Spies

It's kind of a sequel to The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. Basically, what would the actions taken by MI6 as the Berlin Wall came to be look like to politicians and legal courts today.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,100 Senior Member
    I envy you guys that have time to read a book.
    If you don't sleep through the night, you can read a lot.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,100 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »

Ha!!!

My days are filled from 5am to 9 or 10 pm 7 days a week. By that time I'm ready to sleep.
    I haven't slept through the night since Lehman Brothers went under.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,766 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »

Prostate? :cool:

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I haven't slept through the night since my prostate had a growth spurt..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,579 Senior Member
    Highly recommend you guys read Beneath a Scarlet Sky. Book of the year for me. There's a movie in the works too.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 895 Senior Member
    When I was a kid I loved the Louis L`amour westerns. C. J. Box followed that up with a more adult oriented set of books about a Wyoming game warden. I just finished that set, so I'm looking.
    I've heard good things about Beneath a Scarlet Sky and will probably pick that up at the library this weekend.
    MikeA wrote: »
    Highly recommend you guys read Beneath a Scarlet Sky. Book of the year for me. There's a movie in the works too.

Had not heard of that. I looked it up and put it on my Amazon wish list. Thanks for the recommendation; looks like a great book!
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,778 Senior Member
    I recently read "Hillbilly Elegy." I highly recommend it. Great book--a young man's memoir of growing up in a dying Ohio factory town in a dysfunctional family that has strong roots in eastern Kentucky. You wouldn't think it would be that interesting but I couldn't put it down. For the most part he's harsh on the hill billy Scots-Irish culture he grew up in but he also illustrates some of the positives of that culture, especially the family clan aspect. While my experience is nothing like the author's it struck a personal cord with me.

Currently reading Ron Chernow's "Hamilton." I'm not that far into it but so far it is excellent.

I read that book. He and I share a lot of life experience. I didn't have the poverty of Eastern Kentucky to deal with, but the Marine Corps and Law School. . .yeah, it was an engaging read.
    CO Native wrote: »
    When I was a kid I loved the Louis L`amour westerns. C. J. Box followed that up with a more adult oriented set of books about a Wyoming game warden. I just finished that set, so I'm looking.
    I've heard good things about Beneath a Scarlet Sky and will probably pick that up at the library this weekend.

CJ Box has a great book of fiction out about a real thing: a legal dead zone where no one can be prosecuted for federal crimes, because there's no jurors that live in the district, so there's no venue for a trial. Its a cool story.
    The most recent book I read was "the Screwtape letters" by C.S. Lewis. Its a strange little book with a very original premise, but engaging in its own way.
    I bumped Hillbilly Elegy for another book that kept showing up on list called One Second After. Fiction about a small NC town after an EMP strike does what EMP strikes do. About 5 chapters in now and it's still interesting. A little predictable, but still a fun book so far.
    Hillbilly elegy was a very self reflective book for me. I suspect anyone reading this might feel the same.
    I am reading that new book "fire and Fury" about the Trump administration. Entertaining, for sure, but I'm not entirely certain how credible some of the author's claims are.
    I think I'll pass on that one. Listening to the Tapper and Miller interview now.
    Another Trumpism, Sloppy Steve.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,480 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    I am reading that new book "fire and Fury" about the Trump administration. Entertaining, for sure, but I'm not entirely certain how credible some of the author's claims are.

It's on my list too, but I think I'll wait until it's remaindered or used ones hit Amazon or the used book sites. I have too many other books stacked-up to buy it right now.

You mentioned The Screwtape Letters above. When I was confirmed our (Episcopalian) Bishop gave each of us a copy. I didn't get much out of it at age 12, but perhaps I should reread it now.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    sherb wrote: »

You mean like how sources in the WH were saying Ivanka is dumber than a brick and our President is like a child?
    You mean like how sources in the WH were saying Ivanka is dumber than a brick and our President is like a child?

The book sets up and details a three way power struggle between Priebus as the establishment republican, Jared Kushner and Ivanka as the reluctant business friendly democrats, and Bannon as the alt-right economic nationalist, with all three factions vying for power. Trump impatience with detail and his seeming complete and utter lack of any priorities or beliefs allowed this environment to flourish.
    Enough about politics. How about a book thread?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file