Ken Burns' 'Vietnam'

magallowaymagalloway Senior MemberPosts: 853 Senior Member
I haven't seen any mention of the series here and am wondering if any of you are watching and what your reactions might be. So far, I find it to be incredibly well done and insightful even if it leaves me nearly quivering at the end of each episode.

Jim

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,412 Senior Member
    Are you finding it difficult to watch?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 853 Senior Member
    Somewhat, though I suspect things will start to get more intense during the next couple of episodes. Watching isn't really the problem, digesting it afterwards is. I will admit, however, to wanting to light Robert McNamara's face on fire every time it's shown.

Jim
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,582 Senior Member
    I missed the first episode and haven't decided whether to try to catch up as I will be missing others as well, or wait till it's available on Netflix or the Library.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,833 Senior Member
    I missed the first two but have now caught up. So far, so good.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    magalloway wrote: »
    I haven't seen any mention of the series here and am wondering if any of you are watching and what your reactions might be. So far, I find it to be incredibly well done and insightful even if it leaves me nearly quivering at the end of each episode.

Jim
    I watched the first two episodes and thought they were very well done. My biggest reaction was just how inevitable the conflict was, given the concern about 'worldwide communism and JFKs candid statements that he politically could not afford to get out of the conflict. Even if it was clear to people on the ground that the regime was hated. I would have liked to see more evidence of the extreme paranoia the country had about the spread of communism, even in inconsequential S.E.Asian countries. Also I would have liked to have seen more on the influence of the Military-Industrial complex in encouraging all out war for its own benefit. I thought it was another outstanding Ken Burns production.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,661 Senior Member
    I don't have TV service now, so I am missing it. I am reading a discussion of it by MonkeyDoes, Don Newton, John Mundinger and Ouzelpro. Kevin brought up "Vietnam: A Television History" and Karnow's book on which it was based. I remember a bit of the old documentary and it is available on Youtube.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • EdBEdB Senior Member Posts: 2,833 Senior Member
    Where are those guys discussing it?
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,771 Senior Member
    I have been watching it. I had seen the other documentary but I think this one goes much deeper into the history of why we ended up there.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,439 Senior Member
    It sounds extremely interesting and it is on my watch list after I catch up on a couple more shows. I have read several books on the Vietnam air war (reading Bury Us Upside Down right now) but I'm not as well versed on the happenings of the ground war. The only thing I really know about it is that I got no fight with any man who does what he's told, but when he don't, the machine breaks down. And when the machine breaks down, we break down.

TX, We don't have a TV either. Our died about 3 months ago. I watch everything on my iPad. Do you have a tablet? If so, PBS has apps for the local stations and you can watch the Vietnam series for free.
    EdB wrote: »
    Where are those guys discussing it?

On Facebook.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    I'll have to check into that. I use a NPR app for my local station, but it quickly eats up my data plan on the phone.

I've been watching old TV shows and few new shows by hunting around for "free tv online."

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 633 Senior Member
    I watched an episode the night before last. It covered 1966-1967. Very well done but I'm going to continue watching at a slow, measured pace. It is hard to take the brutality of what we did like the indiscriminate killing of civilians for the sake of the all important body count--dead civilians being tossed into piles like logwood. It is sad to listen to the interviews of servicemen who wanted to go to Vietnam for patriotic and noble purposes and once there realized what was going on and that the civilians were simply caught in the middle. The amount of bombs we dropped on that country, which dwarfs the bombing in both theaters of WW2, is staggering. The treatment of our captured airmen was horrible. It is good that Ken Burns made this documentary and I will continue to watch it, but in small doses and not right before bedtime.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,412 Senior Member
    I find the interviews with the Viet Cong interesting. Especially the one where the guy was marveling at the fact that our troops mourned and cared for their comrades just as he and his comrades did.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 853 Senior Member
    The last couple of episodes have been pretty rough for me, not only watching the fruitless, unending slaughter of both sides and civilians, but watching phalanges of helmeted, blue-shirted pigs beat American citizens at Daly's order and then the Ohio National Guard shoot into an unarmed crowd. The surprise of the series for me has been that Richard Nixon was not just a venal, foul-mouthed, lying SOB, but he also committed treason by persuading the South Vietnamese to pull out of the Paris Peace Talks just before the 1968 election by promising the premier that he (Nixon) could get them a better deal. Johnson had him dead to rights, but couldn't confront him without admitting that we had bugs in the South Vietnamese embassy and presidential palace.

Jim

Addendum: Tonight's episode revealed that McGovern tried the same **** thing. It seems that treason is only prosecuted on those who aren't high government officials.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,582 Senior Member
    Johnson was a tragic figure - in the sense of classic Greek tragedy - Nixon was nothing more than a pile of scum sucking ****. (Pond scum, that is. I durst not suggest that our Beloved Leader had any sexually deviant tendencies.)
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file