The kid did ok

Replies

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 2,202 Senior Member
    Agreed on each his own.

Just don't understand the mentality of wanting to do it. Maybe the people have no other skills other than punching another person? Idk?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I wanted to see if I was mentally tough enough.

For the vast majority of aspiring pros, I'd think boxing is their bootstrap - not that much different, although maybe more so in degree - than many other pro sports.

A lot of the MMA guys were either wrestlers or other types of martial artists and are trying to turn those talents into money (see Daniel Cormier, Demian Maia, Big Country Nelson).
    Buffco wrote: »

Did you ever wrestle with any young oiled up buddies? It's machismo. Ultimate man stuff.

Buffy has been either watching Deliverance again or googling "Turkish oil wrestling."

http://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=F4GIAsah&id=8CDABCBAA45AD28F9BD21AF217841FE2FCA09167&thid=OIP.F4GIAsahE4TE4pCSaP9UAwEsDh&q=turkish+oil+wrestling&simid=608017961796437854&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0
    He's not a boxer. Put him in the octagon, and he's not painting by numbers. Mayweather would not do nearly as well against McGregor in MMA as McGregor did in the boxing ring.

Gennady Golovkin versus T.J. Dillashaw in the cage would be something to see.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,191 Senior Member
    I don't understand the mentality of flinging a small piece of fuzz in a body of water that I would call ditch run off, just to catch a fish that you weigh in ounces and don't eat.

Unless I fall and hit my head while I'm out fishing...I don't get concussed, knocked out, cut up and bruised casting chicken feathers on a hook to fish.
    Boxing is thrilling. Did you ever wrestle with any young oiled up buddies? It's machismo. Ultimate man stuff.

Gay

Steven wrote: »
    I wanted to see if I was mentally tough enough.

So were you?

Did you ever get knocked out?
    Gay

You should come visit Des Moines. We could wrestle around on the floor while wearing pajamas.
    So were you?

Did you ever get knocked out?

Yes and no.
    I had five amateur fights and went 2-3. But I got in.

If I can get my blue belt by April, I'm thinking of trying the Chicago Open in April in one of the Master's divisions. White belts aren't allowed to compete at my age, although I could compete with 30-somethings.
    You should come visit Des Moines. We could wrestle around on the floor while wearing pajamas.

Would these be beach pajamas or fly fishing cabin pajamas?
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    Agreed on each his own.

Just don't understand the mentality of wanting to do it. Maybe the people have no other skills other than punching another person? Idk?

Then **** are you commenting in this thread? Who cares if you find it interesting. Go talk about Obamacare.
    sherb wrote: »
    Then **** are you commenting in this thread? Who cares if you find it interesting. Go talk about Obamacare.

Are you having a bad day Sherb?
    There is nothing worse than someone who comments on a thread by talking incessantly about how little they care about the topic.
    I never said I didn't care. I was trying to understand the draw to the sport of wanting to be pummeled or watching someone be pummeled. Now settle down.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,622 Senior Member
    Your very first post asked us to "explain it to you."

You don't want it to be explained. You don't like it. That's cool. Nobody cares.
    Would these be beach pajamas or fly fishing cabin pajamas?

technically, more like kimonos, but with pants
    I never said I didn't care. I was trying to understand the draw to the sport of wanting to be pummeled or watching someone be pummeled. Now settle down.

It makes as much sense as watching men try to hit a ball while running bases, in armor running at each other, trying to put a ball in a hoop, or always pretending to be hurt.
    Unless I fall and hit my head while I'm out fishing...I don't get concussed, knocked out, cut up and bruised casting chicken feathers on a hook to fish.

There's doing and watching.

I'm not sure I'd watch a fly fishing competition on TV.

In other news, Datus Proper's ghost just appeared.
    It makes as much sense as watching men try to hit a ball while running bases, in armor running at each other, trying to put a ball in a hoop, or always pretending to be hurt.

First in with "He doesn't watch that either."
    He's from Wisconsin. He watches the Packers.
    As for the Brewers or Bucks, I couldn't blame him.

Is that an open invitation to anyone? Or just NZ?
    Anyone who showers regularly.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,258 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    This seems to be the new form of internet cool: commenting about something you supposedly have no interest in. Just to show how uninterested you are.
    Anyone who showers regularly.

Define regularly.
    This seems to be the new form of internet cool: commenting about something you supposedly have no interest in. Just to show how uninterested you are.

I am so uninterested in your face, I feel compelled to comment on it.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,258 Senior Member
    Meh.

(10 char.)

See this on Twitter all the time:

Some political journalist will tweet.

A commenter will reply with "who cares what you think?"

To which the obvious rejoinder is, "then why are you following me?"
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,519 Senior Member
    Is that an open invitation to anyone? Or just NZ?

West Desmoines (or however the hell you spell it) may be too much culture for Buffy. ;)
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    West Desmoines (or however the hell you spell it) may be too much culture for Buffy. ;)

I'm actually very well traveled.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,519 Senior Member
    Its like people that don't like baseball. Its hard to describe why I like baseball to people who do not understand the finer points.

Boxing is cool but almost dead. I've never watched much MMA unless it happened to be on TV at Buffalo Wild Wings or wherever. The fights seem to quickly devolve into some guy in a headlock getting his brain bashed in by the other dude's fist. Too much machismo BS for me. And if Sherb doesn't like me expressing my opinion he can fight me! ;)
    Define regularly.

Never mind.
    I'm actually very well traveled.

We can visit Adele. Plenty of farm animals there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file