I think we should discuss this.

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 1,628 Senior Member

Comments

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Another case for body cams, maybe.. Did the cop panic and lose it..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,628 Senior Member
    So basically all a cop has to say is he/she feared for their life and they get a "get out jail free" card. The line certainly has been drawn in the polices' favour..

Mike
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,535 Senior Member
    My sister is a cop---and has been decorated and recognized numerous times (deserved as well)

She told me you do not have to be a rocket scientist or a superior being----just apply common sense---and apparently many do not.

Also there a forces up here actually looking for slightly more mature candidates---they come with life experience and often that common sense assessment qualities
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 821 Senior Member
    I have no idea how anyone can tell what went down there. You figure something strange had to happen for him to shoot like that.
    Only the cop knows for sure.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,571 Senior Member
    When you inform that you are carrying (which some states require by law) you DON'T MOVE. Keep your **** skinners on the steering wheel and ask the cop what he would like you to do.

That said, this cop panicked and overreacted, and he knows it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Did the dreds and skin color enter into it? I think the cop knows the answer to this also..

Mike
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,609 Senior Member
    Both are good articles. I agree that Yanez's fear was unreasonable. If i were on the jury, I might also question his testimony based on his marijuana comment. Using that logic, a large part of the world's population (including cigarette smokers) don't care about anybody's life but their own. Sounds fishy. Like he was reaching for an explanation for his fear rather than actually recounting what went through his head.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,201 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    So basically all a cop has to say is he/she feared for their life and they get a "get out jail free" card. The line certainly has been drawn in the polices' favour..

Mike

Which is why they can kill people with impunity. This needs to change.

I don't know if it is racism or stupidity. But I suspect that bias based on appearance played a factor.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Buffco wrote: »
    When you inform that you are carrying (which some states require by law) you DON'T MOVE. Keep your **** skinners on the steering wheel and ask the cop what he would like you to do.

That said, this cop panicked and overreacted, and he knows it.

The cop asked for his license and registration. How was he supposed to accomplish that?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    The cop asked for his license and registration. How was he supposed to accomplish that?

"Do exactly as I tell you. No, don't do THAT!"
    Tell the cop he cannot reach for it because he's carrying a weapon. Then ask the cop how he wants to proceed.
    Tell the cop he cannot reach for it because he's carrying a weapon. Then ask the cop how he wants to proceed.

Do you not think this is a little complicated for a busted tail light..

Mike
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 821 Senior Member
    We don't know what the cop saw in that car, but you can't blame them for being a bit jumpy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_06v-FoM5Co
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WiT8PSTWGc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCuZdbjrb70

Just putting on the uniform makes you a target. I'm betting that none of you would make it through the training - especially the fat ones.
    Do you not think this is a little complicated for a busted tail light..

Mike
    Very complicated. But if you wish to exercise the right to carry a concealed weapon, it is up to you to act responsibly. If you don't want the hassle of letting cops know and allowing them to feel safe, leave your gun at home.

You know what's complicated? Having to judge in a fraction of a second whether the person you've pulled over is reaching for a gun or their wallet. We expect super human response time from cops and sometimes they get it wrong. It happened here.

All I'm saying is a small portion of the blame lies with Castile.

All I'm saying is a small portion of the blame lies with Castile.

That too is speculation..

Mike
    That too is speculation..

Mike
    True. But if he kept his hands on the steering wheel instead of reaching for his wallet WHILE announcing, "I have a gun" it's possible Yanez wouldn't have freaked. Remember he kept yelling "he was reaching for it!" When in fact Castile was most likely doing what he said he was doing, reaching for his wallet.

You don't casually say the word gun to a police officer. Castile informed, like he should have, but he should've remained still until he received further instruction on how to proceed. Allow the cop to feel in control of the situation.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member
    So uhhh....why was this guy carrying a gun within reach anyway?

And seriously...what the hell does a person do to get pulled over 52 times in a 14 year span?

And seriously...what the hell does a person do to get pulled over 52 times in a 14 year span?

Be African American??

Mike
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,609 Senior Member
    People get robbed while in their cars. That is why Texas has a driver protection law. I can carry a gun in my car for protection.
    Driving while black? If he was pulled over 52 for motor vehicle citations, he might have lost his license and not been in this situation. My guess is many of those times he was not in violation. Just the bad luck of being black in America.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member
    His license was revoked and reinstated numerous times.

You suggesting there's a limit? Does the number of traffic violations have anything to do with getting shot?

And what do you mean about carrying within reach?? What does the word carrying mean to you?

To me, it means at the 4 o'clock position, inside waist band. Definitely within reach.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,628 Senior Member
    His license was revoked and reinstated numerous times.

Normally this offense doesn't carry the death penalty.
    sherb wrote: »
    Normally this offense doesn't carry the death penalty.
    Ha.

Black, taillight out, you look like you smoke weed... That's a shootin'.
  • EugeneEugene Member Posts: 50 Member
    Some of you fine gentlemen are actually writing as if you kind of "get it." Good work.
    Eugene wrote: »
    Some of you fine gentlemen are actually writing as if you kind of "get it." Good work.
    Please help us to be more like you, enlightened one.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,462 Senior Member
    Please help us to be more like you, enlightened one.
    Now Buffy, you know all to well that we've had the world handed to us on a platter. Especially being from the south and all... All that hard work since we were kids was our privilege. Hang your head in shame son. We should have just sat at home with our hands out. Then, maybe then, we'd be worthy of admiration.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,912 Senior Member
    Be African American??

Mike

Do you call Black people African Canadians?
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,535 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Do you call Black people African Canadians?

Not round here---if your a citizen---your "Canadian" --don't matter really what shade you are

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file