Prosecution of Person Who Leaked Classified Information

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 613 Senior Member
See: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/federal-government-contractor-georgia-charged-removing-and-mailing-classified-materials-news

Her name--Reality Winner--confused me when I first saw the news reports about this development. Didn't sound like a real name for a person.

Anyways, as much as, on one level, I'd like to see Trump brought down/undermined, I think she should be prosecuted. The integrity of classified information needs to be maintained.

Comments

• creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Moderately cute: she would make a better cellmate than most. She should change her last name to something like "Sucks". Or change her first name to Ima (as in "Ima Winner).

5936d63b19000036003e4c20.png?cache=apnvct0jgw
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,912 Senior Member
    She should change her name to Scott and declare herself a man.
    Be out in a year.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    She should change her name to Scott and declare herself a man.
    Be out in a year.

Alternatively, she could change her name to DeQuan and be sentenced to the electric chair.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,068 Senior Member
    Millennials...such an odd bunch

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Alternatively, she could change her name to DeQuan and be sentenced to the electric chair.

She also would have to submit to "a regimen of large oral doses of the anti-vitiligo drug methoxsalen, and spend[ing] up to fifteen hours daily under an ultraviolet lamp".

(Google "Black Like Me) :)

OTOH - She knew the law and she broke it, and perhaps - only perhaps mind you - thereby effed up ongoing projects.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,571 Senior Member

We execute more whites than blacks. Since 1976:

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/race-death-row-inmates-executed-1976

def%20race.png

By Urban Dictionary standards this **** is funny!!!
    On the positive side, she posted that Trump was a "soulless ginger orangutan". With that command of the language, I see a lucrative "from prison" book deal on the horizon.
    Buffco wrote: »
    We execute more whites than blacks. Since 1976:

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/race-death-row-inmates-executed-1976

def%20race.png
    Of course, the % of blacks executed is almost double their % of the population. And there's this from the same link.
    interracial.png
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,201 Senior Member
    George K wrote: »
    She also would have to submit to "a regimen of large oral doses of the anti-vitiligo drug methoxsalen, and spend[ing] up to fifteen hours daily under an ultraviolet lamp".

(Google "Black Like Me) :)

OTOH - She knew the law and she broke it, and perhaps - only perhaps mind you - thereby effed up ongoing projects.

Yeah not a fan of leaking information like this.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    Oh, she definitely should have the book thrown at her.
  • EugeneEugene Member Posts: 50 Member
    U.S. government grossly over-classifies. Not shocked a bunch of privileged, white, fly fishers would be in favor of that.
    Eugene wrote: »
    U.S. government grossly over-classifies. Not shocked a bunch of privileged, white, fly fishers would be in favor of that.
    Well, we don't know what she leaked. Good chance it is embarrassing to the gov. Winner is a 25 year old contractor with Pluribus International Corporation handling stuff classified Top Secret. looks pretty white and Privileged herself. Don't know if she fishes.
    Welcome to the Lodge, Eugene! Are you a flyfisher?
    creekguy wrote: »
    Well, we don't know what she leaked. Good chance it is embarrassing to the gov.
    Welcome to the Lodge, Eugene! Are you a flyfisher?

We know exactly what she leaked, she's being charged for it, it has been published.

And again, only the privileged would take the approach of "good change it is embarrasing" as if that justifies the government keeping secrets. Watergate was embarrassing to Nixon, so I guess everything about ti should have been classified. Monica was embarrassing to Clinton. Iran/Contra was embarrassing to Reagan. S&L Debacle was embarrassing to Bush. A government that wants to hide info from you is a government that is NOT looking out for you, it is looking out for itself.

Yeah, I flyfish. Less than I want to, but that's everybody.
    Here is exactly what she is ACCUSED OF leaking. Let's not forget that minor technicality about the differences between charges and convictions.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3766950-NSA-Report-on-Russia-Spearphishing.html#document/p1
    So you get to flyfish, and post on the Lodge! Sounds pretty privileged to me. Do you consider the material she leaked to be in any way damaging to the country?
    So you get to flyfish, and post on the Lodge! Sounds pretty privileged to me. Do you consider the material she leaked to be in any way damaging to the country?

Dam right I'm privileged, and I know it, so I take it into account when forming my opinions. Which means I don't do things lke just assume that because someone is accused they must be guilty, or that because the government classified something, it was actually sensitive. You can't eliminate your privilege, you can only learn to account for it.

I've read the leaked document, leaking it did not hurt the country in any way, shape or form.

Yeah, I flyfish. Less than I want to, but that's everybody.

I'm not everybody. :cool:

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Did you notice how much of that was redacted? How much you want to bet it was not redacted in what she leaked?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Did you notice how much of that was redacted? How much you want to bet it was not redacted in what she leaked?

Are you really going to work that hard to take the government's side? I guess you have to, since current government structures are probably the best tool to ensure the status quo doesn't get shaken up enough to mess with your life.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 613 Senior Member

Probably true that the government grossly over classifies, but it is not up to Ms. Winner to second guess what should and shouldn't be classified.

Looking at the redacted version of the document she leaked that you linked to in your other post I can see how the government would legitimately not want it out in the public domain.
    Are you really going to work that hard to take the government's side? I guess you have to, since current government structures are probably the best tool to ensure the status quo doesn't get shaken up enough to mess with your life.

Not really working that hard.
    Comic's not lib enough for new guy.
    Hmmn, I wonder what MonkeyD. is up to these days? Did he move and buy a new computer?
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,627 Senior Member
    Hmmn, I wonder what MonkeyD. is up to these days? Did he move and buy a new computer?

I don't recognize the writing style or diction. I don't know who it is.
    I'd have to agree. New Guy's punctuation is too good.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,754 Senior Member

You're getting colder...

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

This could be a fun game...

Is he in Florida studying to be a dentist?
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,535 Senior Member
    Nah.....Apparently he's over the whole Harambe thing
    New guy's been reading your junk for a while. You are each sitting in ideological grooves so well-worn you couldn't get out of them if you tried. And why would you try? You've been handed a really good deal in life. Who would mess with that by thinking too hard?

So, think about the fact that the NSA wrote a memo. All that memo says is that some **** efforts at hacking occurred in the weeks before the election. Those efforts were nothing new, they were phishing schemes (any one of you could pull that off with a few days of research). The only thing different is that the "phishermen" in this case are tied to GRU and SVR, and the targets were companies that provide election management services for states, although this NSA memo doesn't specify how we know this (it does NOT reveal sources or methods, I've read it, have you?). Literally, that's all this memo says, and doesn't even go very far into details, it's only 5 pages because it's written in bureaucratese rather than English. So this memo exists. It's actually pretty harmless. Except to the President, the NSA and the intelligence community generally. It is harmful to them because it reveals that (1) the President might have gotten illegal help; (2) it shows that our own intelligence agencies are refusing to come clean with US, the American people, the folks who hire them. There is no good reason for this memo to be classified, it's information of genuine public interest, and it reveals nothing about sources and methods. So someone leaks it. The government is embarrassed because now we know, that they know something of great public interest (messing with our elections matters) and they didn't stop it, they didn't prevent it, they only found out about it after the fact, and worst of all, they don't even want to tell us that it happened because they don't trust the American people. So they find a convenient, low-level, intelligence worker who somehow broke every rule of intelligence trade craft and made it super easy for the FBI to identify her as the leaker, arrest her, charge her, and in the process get all of us to stop talking about how the NSA is hiding info from the American people. Instead they get all of us, well, at least all of you, talking about the leak rather than the gross failure of good faith and honest dealing that is implicit in the fact that our own government won't even tell us that our foreign policy rivals have tried to **** with our elections.

Stop worrying about the leak, it's irrelevant. Worry about the fact that your government is trying desperately to hide the truth from you. What else do they know about the 2016 election that they haven't told you? Why won't they tell you? What interest do they have in keeping us ignorant? Can't expect this crowd to ask those questions, I guess.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file