That Didn't Take Long

Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior MemberPosts: 614 Senior Member
Exxon Seeks U.S. Waiver to Resume Russia Oil Venture
Exxon Mobil applied to Treasury for exemption to resume venture with Rosneft forged in 2012 by Rex Tillerson

https://www.wsj.com/articles/exxon-seeks-u-s-waiver-to-work-in-russia-despite-sanctions-1492620677

It will be interesting to see if the waiver is granted. I give it a better than 50/50 chance.

If it is approved it will bear out Lenin's statement that "a capitalist will sell you the rope that you are going to hang him him with."

Comments

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,070 Senior Member
    Maybe you don't like oil for your cars and other gas powered equipment?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,918 Senior Member
    So we still need over 7 million barrels per day?
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 614 Senior Member

I don't like enriching Russia so that it can be more effective in its aggression against our interests. Apparently you feel otherwise.
    Drill Baby Drill
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Lots of oil all over the place, but refining capacity is a big issue..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,371 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »

Mike

Trump might have flip-flopped on Exim Bank so that it could finance refineries in Russia for the oil Exxon hopes to find there. :rolleyes:
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 825 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »

Mike

That's the EPA's fault. Trump will fix that issue. If you have asthma, I'm sorry, but at least I'll get to continue driving my V8.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    CO Native wrote: »
    That's the EPA's fault. Trump will fix that issue. If you have asthma, I'm sorry, but at least I'll get to continue driving my V8.

I'll die from the coal dust first..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,846 Senior Member

actually it is probably more GWB's fault......he allowed more or less unchecked oil refinery mergers, so that it is a near monopoly.....at least a monopolistic cartel

if refinery capacity can artificially control supply, they can also maximize profit

where is the incentive to build more refineries if it lowers the price of refined products?
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,066 Senior Member
    has anyone figured out yet that all that pipeline oil and oil taken from around the world has nothing to do with the energy independence of America, none of it goes here, it's nearly all sold overseas. We aren't stockpiling it nor is it bringing the prices down. It's amazing to me how stupid people are believing it's any different....they need those taxpayer subsidies.

Tim's point above is a good one.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,204 Senior Member

It won't be sold here.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,571 Senior Member
    Like mercury in your fish too?
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 614 Senior Member
    Good thing I didn't bet on this.

The Treasury Department says it won't issue Exxon a waiver to work in Russia

http://www.businessinsider.com/treasury-wont-issue-exxon-mobil-waiver-to-work-in-russia-2017-4
    Wait, what? I thought the Donald was beholden to Putin, and Rex would make sure his golf buddies would get what they want.

There goes the Dems Russia strategy. Good thing there's always taxes.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,639 Senior Member
    Administration says no exceptions.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,204 Senior Member
    This week.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file