No Snowflakes Please

Comments

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Sigh, I wish Pio was here..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,070 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    Sigh, I wish Pio was here..

Mike
    He would have suggested that the teenage kids at Safeway form a baggers union.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,549 Senior Member
    I'm surprised at the number of snowflakes inhabiting The Lodge.

This girl (presumably a teenager) received nothing more than a reality check. It may not be pleasant, it may not be PC enough for the snowflake crowd but sometimes it's a necessary evil in order to make a point. My bet is that girl who stated "but it's cold out and I don't want to because it will ruin my shoes" never does that again and probably learned from it and moved on. Let's be realistic here...nobody is going to die going outside to collect carts in the snow/cold and the small amount of time spent doing it isn't going to ruin a pair of shoes. Sounds like she was just being whiny and thought she was "above" doing that job.

I once had a disagreement with a boss about an issue at work. We were having a "lively" discussion about the issue at hand for about 15 minutes when the boss finally said to me "If you don't like the way we do things here, there's the door" BOOM! Lightbulb moment...they employ me...they are my livelyhood...they can get rid of me at anytime. The discussion ended and we both moved on. Not a big deal. Unless your the type of person that takes things to heart and gets all sad and angry and stuff...

Pretty sure I'm typing in English---Hey mods is this reading in Chinese??

Not one person on this thread indicated she should not do the job.

It was the meathead way it was handled...And having sat in on the management meetings in dealings with employees----it is not fluff---corp wants respect and courtesy with their employees

It's the wannabe in the middle that is above his head

And I'm with Mike----Stick this Snowflake BS
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 825 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    This is crazy. She was acting like a brat, she got called on it, the end. Y'all act like this is some kind of internet startup where they everybody takes naps and worries about "corporate culture" and all manner of millennial ****. It isn't. Its an entry level job where you do what you're told.

I can tell, Sherb spanks his kids ;-)
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    By the way, maybe the manager was having a bad day.

Maybe his wife left him. Maybe the car battery died. Maybe some **** rightwad politician just stripped his right to collective bargaining...

Edited for mo' accuracy.
    So Princess was even more of a snowflake than previously thought?

Look, Steven: Not everyone is a rugged, salt-of-the-earth Iowan who delivers calves during a blizzard.
    I'm surprised at the number of snowflakes inhabiting The Lodge.

This girl (presumably a teenager) received nothing more than a reality check. It may not be pleasant, it may not be PC enough for the snowflake crowd but sometimes it's a necessary evil in order to make a point. My bet is that girl who stated "but it's cold out and I don't want to because it will ruin my shoes" never does that again and probably learned from it and moved on. Let's be realistic here...nobody is going to die going outside to collect carts in the snow/cold and the small amount of time spent doing it isn't going to ruin a pair of shoes. Sounds like she was just being whiny and thought she was "above" doing that job.

I once had a disagreement with a boss about an issue at work. We were having a "lively" discussion about the issue at hand for about 15 minutes when the boss finally said to me "If you don't like the way we do things here, there's the door" BOOM! Lightbulb moment...they employ me...they are my livelyhood...they can get rid of me at anytime. The discussion ended and we both moved on. Not a big deal. Unless your the type of person that takes things to heart and gets all sad and angry and stuff...

You may refer to 'us' as snowflakes but you are a damned boot licker.
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,918 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Look, Steven: Not everyone is a rugged, salt-of-the-earth Iowan who delivers calves during a blizzard.

But we should all try to be!
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,918 Senior Member
    I swear if my daughter came home and told me that the mean manager embarrassed her because she wouldn't go out because her shoes might get ruined, I'd toss her shoes in the effing rain.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,639 Senior Member
    I swear if my daughter came home and told me that the mean manager embarrassed her because she wouldn't go out because her shoes might get ruined, I'd toss her shoes in the effing rain.

That's why all kids should have to move sprinkler pipe at least once in their lives. Your feet don't stay dry. And you will very much appreciate any other job.
    Waiting for Buffy and mucking hogs in shoes..

Mike
    ricinus wrote: »
    Waiting for Buffy and mucking hogs in high heels..

Mike

Its a bold new world out there.
    One thing is for certain, we all have a different vision of the girl..

Mike
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,549 Senior Member
    The girl---not so much

Fairly certain how unqualified the manager is tho

Everybody has a bad day...is not a licence to be an ****---he wins the I'm having a tough time at my job snowflake award by picking on a little girl----ya know---real man stuff
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,204 Senior Member
    This is crazy. She was acting like a brat, she got called on it, the end. Y'all act like this is some kind of internet startup where they everybody takes naps and worries about "corporate culture" and all manner of millennial ****. It isn't. Its an entry level job where you do what you're told.

No one said she shouldn't we are saying the manager is a **** and ten bucks says he is also a millenial. If not, something went terribly wrong in his life.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Because I'm sure he inherited the manager's job at Safeway. Yeah, that's it.....

Or...like most people. He went out there in the freaking rain when he was a young adult, got his shoes wet and now expects the same from his employees.

Not talking about the safeway manager. You may have noticed I was responding to a comment about the ad.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    Yeah... no...

The absolute first thing I was taught as an NCO is always to praise in public and to admonish in private. It is the golden rule of being a good supervisor of people.

And this the military people, not a place where they cater to snowflakes like NZ.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 614 Senior Member
    There is nothing . . . nothing . . about being a millennial, gen Xer, boomer, greatest generation-er, or anything in between that has any bearing in this discussion.
    CO Native wrote: »
    Okay, the store is swamped and they are short handed and the guy is doing the job of 3 people. He's supposed to walk her over to the office and be nice to her while customers are waiting? No, he handled it correctly for the situation.

Yes if he wants her to quit on the spot, yes he did.
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,846 Senior Member
    That's why all kids should have to move sprinkler pipe at least once in their lives. Your feet don't stay dry. And you will very much appreciate any other job.

sweet corn for farm stands is best picked before the sun hits it, converting the sugars to starch

nothing like riding your bike 3-5 miles as a 12 year old to don rain gear that doesn't fit so you can pick corn from soaking wet rows taller than you at 5am

that's what i call summer vacation
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,371 Senior Member
    When I was a toddler I worked in a Super Walmart in Death Valley picking wet sweet corn and harvesting rice, coconuts and potatoes at 3:00 a.m., all in my satin high heels. Afterwards I would bag these and other items and carry them out to customers' boats, then bring in all the carts. Having no bicycle with which to commute I had to walk seven miles in the snow, uphill both ways, against a 40 knot headwind dodging lightning bolts and stray bullets from gang warfare. I got through it by listening to Ted Nugent cassette tapes on my Sony Walkman and having Mom spike my formula with speed. When my boss criticized me in public I castrated the S.O.B. with a plastic knife from the Subway concession.

It made me the man I am today.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,799 Senior Member
    Yes if he wants her to quit on the spot, yes he did.

If she quits she was not a team player to begin with.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    George K wrote: »
    When I was a toddler I worked in a Super Walmart in Death Valley picking wet sweet corn and harvesting rice, coconuts and potatoes at 3:00 a.m., all in my satin high heels. Afterwards I would bag these and other items and carry them out to customers' boats, then bring in all the carts. Having no bicycle with which to commute I had to walk seven miles in the snow, uphill both ways, against a 40 knot headwind dodging lightning bolts and stray bullets from gang warfare. I got through it by listening to Ted Nugent cassette tapes on my Sony Walkman and having Mom spike my formula with speed. When my boss criticized me in public I castrated the S.O.B. with a plastic knife from the Subway concession.

George 4 tehwin!
    Buford wrote: »
    If she quits she was not a team player to begin with.

Or she has some self respect and knows she can do better.
    Bushart wrote: »
    It was the meathead way it was handled...And having sat in on the management meetings in dealings with employees----it is not fluff---corp wants respect and courtesy with their employees

I thought he handled it well.
    You may refer to 'us' as snowflakes but you are a damned boot licker.

I don't want to ruin peoples shoes. They might get wet from saliva. :p
    George K wrote: »

Our Generation!

Mike
    I thought he handled it well.

You would and that is why you would not be a successful supervisor of young people. Your only chance of success would be maybe drill sergeant.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,639 Senior Member
    You would and that is why you would not be a successful supervisor of young people. Your only chance of success would be maybe drill sergeant.

I have 29 lawyers that work for me. She's a brat, and she's gonna grow up to be a toxic, entitled employee.

Are you going to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about?
    I am going to tell you that I supervise 15 young people in an economy with 3.2% unemployment and if I ever behaved like that supervisor, I would be fired.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file