Is this you?

Comments

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,613 Senior Member
    Yes on all three. Walmart reluctantly. To shop for the things Walmart carries elsewhere, I have to travel 30+ miles compared to 10 miles. In many cases, I'd rather not burn the extra fuel.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,639 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    You live in the Snake River Valley. Did her solution involve having electricity run to your house?

Very amusing. I am amused.

Also FU:)
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,371 Senior Member
    Er, guys, you what tout Subway - next time, look closely at the stuff that goes into the sandwiches; you can almost see the chemical sludge roiling in the stainless steel bins. Then, unwrap the sandwich and wait 15-20 minutes before eating it: the bread will be stale.

Just sayin'.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 614 Senior Member
    No Target around here. Wal Mart very infrequently. McD's only if I am on the road in some distant place and there is no other better choice for a quick bite.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,070 Senior Member
    Mmm...subway. Like chewing on a yoga mat.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/06/health/subway-bread-chemical/

Better than McD's pink slime?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,226 Senior Member
    You know another chemical used to make yoga mats?

Water.

Edited to add: one of the people claiming "victory over Subway" over that issue is Vani Hari, aka "The Food Babe." Who knows nothing about science and air travel. For instance, she thinks the air in an airplane is bad because it contains over 50% nitrogen, not pure oxygen. And that airplanes are pressurized to higher pressure than on the ground.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/food-babe-misinformation-on-travel/

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2015/03/17/vani-hari-a-k-a-the-food-babe-responds-to-the-new-york-times-ineptly-as-usual/

http://www.science20.com/cool-links/caching_in_on_the_food_babe_her_air_travel_tips-149397

If you're getting your advice from those kinds of sources.....
    You know another chemical used to make yoga mats?

Water.

The poison, as they say, is in the dose.
    Water better than azodicarbonamide.

Unless for some reason you like asthma.

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/what-is-azodicarbonamide/

[h=1][/h]
    Not to pick on you, Joe, since your "processed food is bad" take is endemic now, but, just as with the diet coke, the actual evidence is scant and contradictory.

Please don't put up another infograph. There's nothing you're going to show me that I haven't seen.
    Water better than azodicarbonamide.

Unless for some reason you like asthma.

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/what-is-azodicarbonamide/

[h=1][/h]
    husky1.jpg

Why don't you throw out some David Wolfe for good measure...
    sherb wrote: »
    Not to pick on you, Joe, since your "processed food is bad" take is endemic now, but, just as with the diet coke, the actual evidence is scant and contradictory.

Please don't put up another infograph. There's nothing you're going to show me that I haven't seen.

Had someone tell me once they don't eat foods they can neither spell nor pronounce.

I asked them if it's pronounced "Keen-wah" or "Kwin-o-ah." And how to spell it.
    Hey if you like all those chemicals in your food and drink...I ain't gonna tell ya stop. Just presenting the information. It's up to you if you like chewing on a yoga mat sub or pink slime burger. ;-)

Personally I believe that all the health problems, particularly cancer and obesity, that people in the U.S. face is due to processed foods/drinks and all the chemicals injected into them.

You're not presenting information. You're inserting adulterated facts mired in a slurry of opinion and disinformation.

It's the pink slime of data.
    You're not presenting information. You're inserting adulterated facts mired in a slurry of opinion and disinformation.

It's the pink slime of data.
    When a restaurant such as Subway or McD's publicly admits that they have removed "X" chemicals from their food "product" shouldn't that be a red flag? As in what other crap is injected into that stuff they call food.

Red flag? No.

Bowing to an uninformed public? Yes.

As far as additives go, unless you're getting 100% organic food from the farm, antibiotic-free meats, all of it from "heritage" stock, you're getting "stuff" put into your food. Probably some GMOs, too.
    I do get my meats and eggs locally from organic farms. Not CAFO operations. Its fairly easy to do.

We also have a health food store in town that sources their meet from the local organic farms.

We obviously won't agree on this so I offer you a diet coke and big Mac as a peace offering. :cool: :p

The cold cuts and cheese at Subway are the lowest quality and least tasty I've had, and the bread really does go stale if you take more than 15 minutes to eat your sandwich. I'll pass, than you.

I think it is good to buy certain things organic when possible, apples and lettuces for example, but we should bear in mind that when everyone in the entire world ate a 100% organic diet life expectancy was around 30. :)
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    ricinus wrote: »

Those are adulterated facts mired in a slurry of opinion and disinformation. :p
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 825 Senior Member
    I love watching people pay more for "organic" produce and meat when their is no way possible to prove this. We have a huge operation north of town that touts all organic. Yet they are surrounded on all 4 sides by farms that use pesticides put on both by plane and tractor. You can't tell me that **** don't float over onto the "organic" fields.
    Then there are the hundred of miles of ditch banks that sprayed with pesticides that carry the water that irrigates that "organic" field. Again, no way to keep it out.

The cattle situation is exactly the same. No way to guarantee they are eating hey/grass that wasn't sprayed. Don't start with steroids, that's like .01% of cattle out there.

The problem with our food can be traced back to Monsanto and it's GMO's. Our food has no nutritional left because of Monsanto. That includes all of the produce planted and raised on organic farms. There are some smaller farms that are controlling their seeds and Monsanto is now suing them.
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 2,469 Senior Member
    Walmart often, Target almost never, McDonalds almost never. Amazon every day almost. I prefer not to go out to buy anything that I can order from prime. Now Walmart has wised up and is going to take a run at Amazon on that front.

As for fast food. I’m bad about eating on the go when I fish. But even then I try to stay away from the fast food. I prefer Mexican if I have to eat out in a hurry. Since we started the Blue Apron and Peach Dish food delivery service I would have to say your gym friend is right. Eating whole foods makes you feel better. Less joint soreness due to inflammation is something I noticed in the first month. It’s ruined our going out to eat now. It’s hard to find any place to eat that compares to these dinners, unless you spend 25 and up a plate. We almost never eat at a chain. Except Chuy’s tex mex. I LOVE Chuy’s!
    MikeA wrote: »
    Walmart often, Target almost never, McDonalds almost never. Amazon every day almost. I prefer not to go out to buy anything that I can order from prime. Now Walmart has wised up and is going to take a run at Amazon on that front.

As for fast food. I’m bad about eating on the go when I fish. But even then I try to stay away from the fast food. I prefer Mexican if I have to eat out in a hurry. Since we started the Blue Apron and Peach Dish food delivery service I would have to say your gym friend is right. Eating whole foods makes you feel better. Less joint soreness due to inflammation is something I noticed in the first month. It’s ruined our going out to eat now. It’s hard to find any place to eat that compares to these dinners, unless you spend 25 and up a plate. We almost never eat at a chain. Except Chuy’s tex mex. I LOVE Chuy’s!

We rarely eat at restaurants, especially chain restaurants, now that we both are retired and both enjoy cooking. When we do, we notice how much salt they use (salt and butter hide a multitude of kitchen errors and shortcomings) and can feel it it joints, and ring and watch band snugness within a few hours. High levels of salt, more than preservatives may be what makes many of us feel not quite right after eating too much processed or chain restaurant food.
    I do enjoy cooking now. Have some cheap bourbon and cook. . .that's the best.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 9,571 Senior Member
    "Organic" is a legal term.

I was able to certify the field I run my hogs on as organic. All they asked was, "Have any chemicals been sprayed on it in the last three years?" I said no. Send in the money, bam. Certified organic.
    CO Native wrote: »
    I love watching people pay more for "organic" produce and meat when their is no way possible to prove this. We have a huge operation north of town that touts all organic. Yet they are surrounded on all 4 sides by farms that use pesticides put on both by plane and tractor. You can't tell me that **** don't float over onto the "organic" fields.
    Then there are the hundred of miles of ditch banks that sprayed with pesticides that carry the water that irrigates that "organic" field. Again, no way to keep it out.

The cattle situation is exactly the same. No way to guarantee they are eating hey/grass that wasn't sprayed. Don't start with steroids, that's like .01% of cattle out there.

The problem with our food can be traced back to Monsanto and it's GMO's. Our food has no nutritional left because of Monsanto. That includes all of the produce planted and raised on organic farms. There are some smaller farms that are controlling their seeds and Monsanto is now suing them.

To a degree you are correct. But free range is much better than 500 cows confined to a barn (CAFO) being injected with chemicals for fast growth and distribution to your plate.
    Free range, also, has become a legal term. It just means a bigger cage.

There are no chemicals you can "pump" into a cow or hog or chicken to grow it faster. This is a food scare myth, and one that I use to justify the exorbitant prices I charge for my pork. "No ma'am, there are no hormones injected into my hogs."
    The Happy Cows commercials have done wonders for my farm business. As long as you feel good about what you're eating, you'll pay me double. I'm considering donating to PETA as well, because they are inadvertently boosting my profit margin as well.
    This is cage free, Joe.

black_eagle_farm.jpg
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Buffy , that is what we call free run up here. Free range means they have access to the outdoors.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    As Buffco has amply demonstrated, this entire movement is fact-free and the science behind it nonexistent. It makes intuitive sense to eat natural organic food, but the evidence just doesn't support any of the claims made about it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file