Is this you?

StevenSteven Senior MemberPosts: 1,918 Senior Member
According to NPD Group, 95% of U.S. consumers spent money at Walmart.

89% spent money at McDonald's and 84% at Target.

I'm a "no" on Walmart but a "yes" on McD's and Target.

Comments

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,226 Senior Member
    Is this some sort of Midwestern social engineering scam?
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,918 Senior Member
    I have an uncle who's a Nigerian prince....
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,639 Senior Member
    I don't like Target. I shop at Walmart a lot.

I try to stay out of McDonald's but its hard. I had some gym bro, 25 years old, tell me yesterday that if I started eating healthy, I would enjoy that more than fast food. Indeed, I would come to despise fast food.

Guys, I'm here to tell you that is the worst kind of all the kinds of **** there is.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,226 Senior Member
    Lost tribe of Israel?

Incidentally I got a new variation on the Nigerian email scam: the Israeli widow. Came into my work inbox yesterday.

My Dear,
    I am the lady, Nasani Louga from Israel to a widow late Mr. Steven Louga I am 68 years old, I am a Christian, suffering from long-term breast, all indication my conditions cancer is really deteriorating and is pretty obvious that I would not live more than three months, my doctors rding accommodation, and in all aspects of medical tests indication, this is because the cancer stage has gotten to a very bad scenario that there is hope for me to be a living person again,

My late husband was killed during the raid against terrorism in France Ivory Coast, and during the period of our marriage we could not produce any child, my husband was very wealthy and after his death, inherited all his business and wealth. doctors have advised me that I can not live

four months, so now decided to divide part of this wealth, to contribute to the development of the church in America, Africa, As Europe d ia a solution to the problem created especially for the underprivileged and orphanage homes.

I selected after visiting the website I prayed about it; I am willing to donate the sum of $ 2.5 million, to the underprivileged. Please, I want you to consider the background is lying on a bench in Ivory Coast and in my statement submitted in an application for the transfer of money on your behalf.

Finally, I sincerely pray that this money when transferred will be used for this purpose although I am late then, because I've come to discover that wealth acquisition without Christ is vanity and made me promise to God that the fund will be used to build his temple. The grace of our Lord Jesus, the love of God and the fellowship of God be with you and your family hope urgent response.

God bless you.
    Ms. Nasani Louga
    Steven wrote: »
    According to NPD Group, 95% of U.S. consumers spent money at Walmart.

89% spent money at McDonald's and 84% at Target.

I'm a "no" on Walmart but a "yes" on McD's and Target.

What percentage at Costco? 'cause that place is always packed.
  • BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 1,549 Senior Member
    Target did'nt make it here

We don't do Wal-Mart much---a few things---seem to be shopping online more

McD's---I was a double big Mac guy forever---But my last time was my last time----4 dried out patties the size of a quarter---Indy food trucks are here again with spring----bring it on
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,371 Senior Member
    All three, but sparingly.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,070 Senior Member
    The statement about Walmart would apply to my wife and I. Household goods and groceries all in one location. With the exception of meat which we try to buy from local farms when possible. Once the farmers market starts appearing on Saturdays during the summer we get our veggies and potatoes etc. there instead of Walmart.

Target we only shop at occasionally because it's a ~20 mile ride to get there.

McDonald's or [insert any chain restaurant here] we avoid at all times. Probably 15+ years since I've stepped into a McDonald's or similar. I don't even consider that stuff food.

In the past 2 years we have been buying less from Walmart though...My wife's been buying things in bulk from Boxed or Amazon instead. Don't have to leave the house or wait in line.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I live 30 minutes from the nearest Walmart. I forgot about Amazon

Amazon prime is my lifeblood out here. I read somewhere that Amazon is slated to be the world's first Trillion dollar company. As long as its not United, I'm good.
    Also I detest people that claim (looking at you Joe) they can't stand fast food :)

I go to SoCal to visit friends periodically. I usually take a break from whatever diet regimen I'm on when I'm down there. One of my buddies is quite insufferable about fast food places. His wife finally told him, "look, he wants to go to McDonald's, so just go!"
    sherb wrote: »
    I live 30 minutes from the nearest Walmart. I forgot about Amazon

Amazon prime is my lifeblood out here. I read somewhere that Amazon is slated to be the world's first Trillion dollar company. As long as its not United, I'm good.
    I'm an Amazon Prime member. We do subscribe and save and the Amazon Pantry.

Almost weekly, something from Amazon is delivered to my house...saves gas money, wear and tear on cars and standing in line.

Not to mention all of the free music and video rentals that you get with Prime membership.

Also I detest people that claim (looking at you Joe) they can't stand fast food :)

I go to SoCal to visit friends periodically. I usually take a break from whatever diet regimen I'm on when I'm down there. One of my buddies is quite insufferable about fast food places. His wife finally told him, "look, he wants to go to McDonald's, so just go!"
    Yup that's me. Can't stand fast food chain joints. My body feels like crap after I eat at one of those places. The 25 year old at the gym was spot on with his statement.

If I'm on the road out of town and want something to eat it's the local ma and pa cafe or local tavern.

Amazon's customer service is second to none. Best I've ever dealt with. I was trying to read a book in the cloud reader and it wasn't working so I called the hotline and got one of their customer service people. She couldn't figure it out, so I said thanks, I'll just read it on my kindle, BUT an hour later she CALLS ME BACK from Mumbai or wherever she was and says, "hey I was talking to some people here and I think I figured out a solution. . ." I was duly impressed.
    Amazon's customer service is second to none. Best I've ever dealt with. I was trying to read a book in the cloud reader and it wasn't working so I called the hotline and got one of their customer service people. She couldn't figure it out, so I said thanks, I'll just read it on my kindle, BUT an hour later she CALLS ME BACK from Mumbai or wherever she was and says, "hey I was talking to some people here and I think I figured out a solution. . ." I was duly impressed.
    Totally agree with that. I've used their online customer service chat a few times.

Couple months ago I bought a handlebar mounted bike light for $130...I was out on a night ride with some friends and the mount broke and the light flew off the bike. I contacted customer service about it thru online chat and they apologized and refunded the $130 and told me to keep the light. I ended up finding a replacement mount for $13.

Can't beat that...

• ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Amazon for a lot of gear, but clothes etc, I usually go to Eddie Bauer sales, a Canadian store- Marks-, Occasionally Walmart for jeans, and of course Costco once a month.

Fast food maybe once a week and usually Edo, but once in a while I crave McD fries..

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    GF got me on to Costco, saved the 55$ membership on eyeglasses right away. Thing about Costco is the quality. Very impressive. Of course you have to buy huge lots. The fresh roast chickens are so much better than the competition.
    ricinus wrote: »
    but clothes etc, I usually go to Eddie Bauer sales

Unless it's a specialty clothing item, I hit the local thrift stores. $2-$5 for shirts and pants. I'm a frugal SOB on some items.
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 825 Senior Member
    I don't like Target. I shop at Walmart a lot.

I try to stay out of McDonald's but its hard. I had some gym bro, 25 years old, tell me yesterday that if I started eating healthy, I would enjoy that more than fast food. Indeed, I would come to despise fast food.

Guys, I'm here to tell you that is the worst kind of all the kinds of **** there is.
    Haha - that's the truth. My kid knows a guy that does the physique competitions. He cuts down to some ridicules low amount of body fat for this. He says that as as soon as the competition is over, they head straight for the nearest burger king pig out. He says it's better than sex - haha.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,371 Senior Member
    Walmart is my closest store, great for running out for one or two items. Our local supermarkets are only slightly better but worth the extra ten minutes drive for food. Local department stores are low-to-mid level, with the better ones running grade D stores for our rural/suburban area. Now that farmer's markets and farm stands are re-opening we will buy most produce there, except for certain fruits and vegetables that we only buy organic when possible and which are available only in supermarkets - apples, pears, lettuces and root vegetables basically. We also have a garden plot that keeps us supplied with much of our lettuces, green beans, tomatoes and beets.

Now that I'm retired i wear a suit for weddings and funerals. I own two sports coats, one tweed and one corduroy but can't remember the last time I wore them. I find myself waiting for sales and coupons and buying clothes at JCPenny because they sell Izod khakis and shirts for less than anyone else around here and they fit me. We are big Amazon and Alibris customers, and I buy quite a bit on eBay. Photo gear comes from Amazon or B&H since the last real camera store within 75 miles closed several years ago.

As for Mickey D's, two breakfast burritos make for a not too unhealthy drive through lunch. Their burgers are inedible, IMO. Wendy's and Five Guys burgers are better. Actually, Five Guys burgers and fries are pretty good, at least at the two outlets around here.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 1,846 Senior Member
    Walmart in an emergency........but i favor online

Target was good when the kids were in diapers....i think the wife shops there though

McD's too often, but not really that much
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 21,204 Senior Member
    Sometimes they are the most convenient. But I do try to avoid Walmart,
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    For the longest time around here, Walmart had the best prices and the best produce. The other stores finally cleaned up their act and improved their selection and quality.
    I don't think this would have happened without Walmart..

Mike
    I did good work here....

Only 42% of U.S. consumers use Amazon. Here's the Top Ten (Costco didn't make it).

Walmart 95%
    McDonald's 89%
    Target 84%
    Walgreens 77%
    Dollar Tree 71%
    Subway 70%
    CVS 69%
    Home Depot 68%
    Taco Bell 62%
    Burger King 60%
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 825 Senior Member
    It would be interesting to see that breakdown by state. I'd bet that Subway in the healthier states is higher than McD's. There are subways on every street corner here and only a few McD's.
    We hit Subway a lot in Chicago
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,756 Senior Member
    Yes on Subway, I try pretty hard not go to other fast food places. The town I live in has a population of about 2000, there is no Walmart or Target and the closest Wallyworld is about 45 miles away and the Target is further. Amazon is my lifeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• CuddyCuddy Senior Member Posts: 344 Senior Member
    Hell, I'm Canadian, and I would be yes, yes, no.

No to Target because of their gigantic misfire in launching here. Are you guys aware of that? If not, it's a story that will be told in business school forever:

Target purchased all of the "Zellers" real estate in Canada from Hudson's Bay Company in an effort to launch coast-to-coast in one shot. (Zellers was basically Canadian Kmart.). They then spent a fortune renovating all these existing stores, and building regional distribution centres.
    And then---they screwed it all up. Shelves were empty. Canadian Target stores had nowhere near the selection of products as US locations, and people generally didn't respond well to Target up here.
    After only 3 years they simply folded up. Lost over $2 billion in the process. $2 billion!

Best part of it all---Hudson's Bay Company took the $$ they got from the real estate sale, and bought Saks Fifth Avenue with it.

It really is a fascinating story if you are interested in that sort of thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Canada
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    ABOUT an hour later she CALLS ME BACK from Mumbai or wherever she was and says, "hey I was talking to some people here and I think I figured out a solution. . ." I was duly impressed.

You live in the Snake River Valley. Did her solution involve having electricity run to your house?
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    CO Native wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see that breakdown by state. I'd bet that Subway in the healthier states is higher than McD's. There are subways on every street corner here and only a few McD's.

That would be very interesting.

I try to avoid Wal Mart but sometimes stop there after work (I work until midnight) for essentials. Plus they are one of the few places to sell Ranier beer (my cheap beer of choice).

Haven't been in a Target in forever. I always found them to be very expensive.

McD's. Breakfast before skiing. I get a Big Mac craving about twice a year too. We have not had a McRib Season here in a very long time and I am very, very, very upset about that.
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    You live in the Snake River Valley. Did her solution involve having electricity run to your house?

Sick burn..:D

Mike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file