Airline recommendation

sherbsherb Senior MemberPosts: 1,639 Senior Member
Not United.

They suck in all kinds of ways but this is pretty bad, and I'm having trouble seeing the justification for it.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/video/passenger-dragged-off-united-airlines-plane-due-to-overbooking/vp-BBzEDyn

I think United subscribes to the philosophy that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Comments

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 1,918 Senior Member
    Interesting. I wonder if there's more to the story like with the two women who were removed from a flight due to wearing leggings.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 1,639 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Interesting. I wonder if there's more to the story like with the two women who were removed from a flight due to wearing leggings.

On that one I agree with United. If you're flying on the company's dime, you adhere to their dress code.
    If it went down like that, that's just effing terrible.

It strikes me as ridiculous that somebody can be forced off a flight because an airline needs to move employees or due to overbooking.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,226 Senior Member
    They looked for volunteers....

https://twitter.com/united/status/851383383888285696

https://www.yahoo.com/news/united-passenger-forcibly-removed-flight-refusing-give-seat-134930951.html
    “Flight 3411 from Chicago to Louisville was overbooked,” a United spokesperson told Yahoo News when asked about the incident. “After our team looked for volunteers, one customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate.”

I'm sorry, but if you've been selected to leave, you're not going to be leaving voluntarily. You might be complying with their demands, but if you didn't volunteer, you ain't leaving voluntarily.
    volunteering, Marine Corps style.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,226 Senior Member
    Ah, the "voluntold" method.

I understand that airlines can select individuals to bump. And that paying for a ticket doesn't guarantee getting that flight. I get that. But how they're trying to paint this, it ain't working...
    Ah, the "voluntold" method.

I understand that airlines can select individuals to bump. And that paying for a ticket doesn't guarantee getting that flight. I get that. But how they're trying to paint this, it ain't working...

Its terrible PR any way you slice it.

As I understand it, the gentleman was a physician and needed to see patients. Or so he says. Who knows.

I, on the other hand, would have taken the $800 dollars and driven to Louisville. Its not like flying from Seattle to Atlanta. Louisville is not that far from Chicago. And since I absolutely loathe dealing with United anyway, I would have been happy to do it.

(yes, I like stories like this. I feel vindicated).
    C9EAZcTUIAAEJTV.jpg
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 825 Senior Member
    I love how those headlines exagerate it: "He was dragged off battered and limp"
    With that said, I wouldn't fight the cops, but I'd sure as hell sue the crap out of them since it was for "employees".
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    CO Native wrote: »
    With that said, I wouldn't fight the cops, but I'd sure as hell sue the crap out of them since it was for "employees".
    Sue? I'd go with this story:
    Two people in Florida reportedly discovered a dead bat in a prepackaged salad, prompting a recall and an investigation by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
    The customers had already eaten some of the bag of Fresh Express’ Organic Marketside Spring Mix before discovering the creature in a “deteriorated condition,” the CDC said in a press release on Saturday.
    Who are the cops? TSA?
  • CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 825 Senior Member
    creekguy wrote: »
    Sue? I'd go with this story:
    Two people in Florida reportedly discovered a dead bat in a prepackaged salad, prompting a recall and an investigation by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
    The customers had already eaten some of the bag of Fresh Express’ Organic Marketside Spring Mix before discovering the creature in a “deteriorated condition,” the CDC said in a press release on Saturday.

I was eating at Boston Market many years ago with a guy from work and he found something chewy in his sandwich. He pulled it out of his mouth and it was a band-aid. I got interviewed like 40 times over that one. That Boston market lasted about 3 months after that got out.
    Who are the cops? TSA?

Chicago Police department.
    The guy's lucky he only got a beating and wasn't brought down to Homan Square.
    United should have offered the guy a Pepsi.

[/stolen from twitter]
    C9D9CPmUwAIgOlR.jpg:large
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    CO Native wrote: »

He reportedly had a bloody nose, so the wording seems accurate to me. Did you see the video? Looks less than spry to me.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,298 Senior Member
    I sincerely hope someone overlaid one of the videos with Trump's "get 'em outta here!" quote from his campaign rallies.
    Just one thing...the guy claiming the race card (or more accurately the ethnicity card) really lowers my empathy.

Anybody really believe he was targeted because he was Chinese?
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,070 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    On that one I agree with United. If you're flying on the company's dime, you adhere to their dress code.

If you're an actual employee flying on their dime, I agree. But a 10 year old girl using a friends and family ticket? C'mon....really?
    If it went down like that, that's just effing terrible.

It strikes me as ridiculous that somebody can be forced off a flight because an airline needs to move employees or due to overbooking.

What's even more ridiculous, IMO, is selling tickets for more seats than you have.
    I agree, although in this case that wasn't the issue.
    As a business, you cater to the customers...not the employees.

Gloves are off...

C9F1r0kV0AEQQlI.jpg
    I most certainly agree. Get the employees a car. It's less than a five hour drive.
    I most certainly agree. Get the employees a car. It's less than a five hour drive.

Yup...a lot cheaper than offering a $800-$1000 voucher to four people.

That's what I'm saying.
    Just one thing...the guy claiming the race card (or more accurately the ethnicity card) really lowers my empathy.

Anybody really believe he was targeted because he was Chinese?

No, of course not. Ridiculous.

I never really sympathized with the guy. Dealing with self-important doctors (there is more than one doctor in Louisville so I doubt it was that urgent) is an occupational hazard of mine and plenty of other people, including United employees. Its just that United is terrible on customer service generally and having had to deal with them on more than one occasion. . .there must be a German word for taking malicious delight in the misfortunes of others. . . there must be. . .:)
    As a business, you cater to the customers...not the employees.

Steven is gonna throat-punch me for saying this, but United isn't really a business. More like an oligopoly. Too big to fail. Or be polite.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/04/10/blame-big-airline-mergers-for-united-s-shocking-passenger-beatdown.html

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file