Hey yall....LAF info

SPlatteBoySPlatteBoy Junior MemberPosts: 11 Junior Member
Hey guys, seemed funny having to re-register but I found it. Figured it was slow around here and I've been floating for the last three weeks so figured I'd stop in with some LAF info and a little report.

LAF '11 will be Aug 11-14 at the Lone Buck Lease again outside Parshall. Since we can't search old threads anymore with all the great pics we've posted over the years I'll give a little more info for anyone not familiar. The LAF (Colorado Fly Fishing and Liver Abuse Festival) started 9 years ago as a way for board members to meet and greet, do some fishing, and little campfire antics as well. Always been a great time with great friends made over the years. Everybody is invited, if you need more info feel free to PM/email me. We also usually do a pot luck and if you play an instrument bring it!

So, here's some good pics although not entirely fishing related. Spent 16 days floating down the Colorado in the Grand Canyon recently and happened to do a little fishing. Caught a few, broke my XP, caught a few more with half a tip section, but mostly saw some pretty amazing stuff. Here is a snip-it.

Picking us up...all the gear in their 5 ton (private trip with rented 18' oar rigs and food from Pro)
2011-06-22115645.jpg
2011-06-22115622.jpg

Havasu (these are not post processed at all!)
DSC_0099.jpg
DSC_0101.jpg

Vasey's Paradise
DSC_9807.jpg

Redwall Cavern
DSC_9827.jpg
DSC_9839.jpg
DSC_9853.jpg

Nankoweep
DSC_9910.jpg
DSC_9916.jpg

Silver grotto
IMGP0621.jpg
IMGP0623.jpg

life on the river is rough
IMGP0659.jpg

Little Colorado/Colorado confluence
IMGP0731.jpg
IMGP0744.jpg
IMGP0803.jpg
IMGP0806.jpg

Hance
IMGP0872.jpg

Hermit
IMGP0986.jpg

Crystal
IMGP1027.jpg
IMGP1043.jpg
IMGP1076.jpg

Elves Chasm
IMGP1170.jpg

Matkat
IMGP1319.jpg

Just another typical day in the canyon
IMGP1358.jpg
IMGP1371.jpg

LAVA
IMGP1416.jpg

"The diving board"
IMGP1457.jpg
IMGP1474.jpg

Hello boat floating by
IMGP1478.jpg

Replies

• SaraSara Senior Member Posts: 511 Senior Member
    Looks like a great trip! And a lot of full moons!

I go back to work on the 10th this year! So I miss LAF again! i know you will all have a great time!
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Amazing shots of what looks like an epic trip. Very cool.
    Margaritas anyone?
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • SPlatteBoySPlatteBoy Junior Member Posts: 11 Junior Member
    Thanks guys. It was epic.

Sounds good Yata! Zachdog is coming down (assuming the campground dries out by then!) we can have him in throw in the generator. lol
  • chewydogchewydog Junior Member Posts: 3 Junior Member
    In the pic "Life on the river is rough", are you the only one sitting on a chair in the water wearing a pfd?... There's a word for that.
    Yatahey, should have been there last year, Zachdog brought the geny with actual gas in it...
    Can't wait.
  • chewydogchewydog Junior Member Posts: 3 Junior Member
    On a side note, looks like the Co. has come down 1,000 cfs in the last couple days. http://www.ncwcd.org/datareports/flowdata.asp?sid=4160
    And the Bill is almost fishable.
    Zackdog gives empty Patron bottle last rites before the cremation.
    zackdog-patron.jpg

The funeral pyre for Patron bottle and dead lawn chair.
    SANY0050.jpg
    yeah Warren, I was doing something and sat down, beer was too good so I was too lazy to get up and take it off. :)
  • The HingeThe Hinge Senior Member Posts: 162 Senior Member
    Remember that one time I went? ha ha
    Primitive man marvels at the discovery of FIRE!!!
    guiness-bottle-magma.jpg
  • FlykuniFlykuni Senior Member Posts: 799 Senior Member
    Grand canyons.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Was it running at 25,000? We were on the river last September during a low flow study at 8,000; great time and easy camping on exposed sand bars. Those guys at Pro know how to pack.
    Yep 25k. except for one day they dropped it down to 18k for a day. No problem making mileage, we were cruising but the eddies could be pretty brutal. big water but if you kept it square didn't have any issues and nothing technical to deal with.

We had a few decent beaches but the big sand bars were under. Mostly nice sandy places to sleep in the tammies though.

Agreed, Pro has it down to a science! Nice gear. I need to build one of those water filters!
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Did you get one of those case filters with the solar panels? Those are so sweet.

What's the name of the Pro guy unloading off the tailgate? Our group consisted of old Canyon guides from the 70s, and we thought we were systems oriented, but his way of doing things put our group to shame.
    This one was 12 volt only but yeah like that. They are nice but i'm thinking I could build one for a fraction of their cost.

We had some younger dudes at the put in but a couple of those guys for the take out. Their efficiency was amazing. I took the kids on Lodore last week and felt all messed up the whole time. Ha

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file