Just a brief report: The Little Red River, Heber Springs, Arkansas

Don NewtonDon Newton Senior MemberPosts: 431 Senior Member
I am back HOME in Arkansas, living in North Little Rock, with my youngins near and the Little Red, or the Ozark Angler in Heber Springs, just 60 miles away. Drove up Wednesday, yesterday, to lunch with Donnie Hyslip at the Ozark Angler. I packed a PB&J, apple jelly. Highlight of that gathering was meeting the store tarantula, a sizeable Texas brown tarantula. He/she has a hidey hole in the wall that fronts the porch. http://bugguide.net/node/view/1000817

I tyed three varieties of #18 bead head sowbugs in preparation for my first fly fishing trip in over 10 months. Anywho, I got in the water at JFK Park, below Greers Ferry Dam around 1:43PM. The condition of the water was sad - the Lake is 5 feet below pool. We are in a drought mode. The dam engineers are releasing very little water. The trout are stacked up in schools, barely responding to anything. In some spots bows were swimming around, ignoring my offerings. They seemed to be nipping at or slightly below the surface. I saw a green midge or two or three come off the water, about size 18 - 16. Later in the day, the bows were really jumping after something, even chasing dragonflies.

Fished with Rosie Grace, my Superfine 1 wt, 6X RIO 9ft. leader with 7X Orvis Mirage tippet. My first take showed as a vibration of my indicator. I set the hook, maybe too hard, for the tippet broke off just below my double surgeon's knot (double over-hand granny). Second hit, the critter chewed right through both legs of double surgeons loop. Finally got some good takes and hook sets and enjoyed some SNITs and a few subSNITs.

The adventure began for me when I lost my amber COCOON fishing shades, twice. I found them once which means they are now somewhere in the River. Maybe someone found them will get some good use out of them.

Didn't prepare really well for this trip, either. I have a butt pack and a shoulder sling that would have worked perfectly - especially to house a store-bought plastic bottle of fresh COLD water. To go "light, I decided to leave 90% of my flyboxes in the car, pack two inside my waders along with the plastic bottle of ice cold water.

On my slippery slide back to the parking lot, I noticed some beautiful Lobelia, Impatiens, green bees and a hover fly that required attention of my biolologizing mind. I squatted down to get close with my camera - the cap popped off my bottle of ICE cold water. 'Nuff said.

Next week for sure I will be back up there. Maybe Monday ... with my big camera to conduct a photo safari of all things wild in the Ozarks. Bet I'll pack Rosie Grace, too, and Ms Scout, my 4wt Superfine. This time I will have some copper John variants for a hole downstream from Cow Shoals. Hecque, some #18 GBHOHTPTN's will busy the browns and bows at the Shoals itself - I know they will. Bill Edrington came up with that neat pattern.

Y'all be good.

woo pig

beet dook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file